New Year, New Automations: What's New With Butler

64 comments

Donnie Grooms February 9, 2021

This Butler command keeps me current with my to-do list. 

Butler Command.PNG

Like Pramodh M likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Hi @Chris Kaundart 

Glad you liked it. Thanks

When will I receive the badge?

Like Donnie Grooms likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Great post @Chris Kaundart!

I wrote an article last night: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Gaming-amp-Charity-Oh-My-featuring-butler-automation/ba-p/1607311

That explains how I'm using scheduled automation of tasks weekly, a card button to update a given card when I'm finished and an automation rule to archive completed cards.  All to manage social media posts for fundraising campaign.

ButlerCalendarBlob.PNGButlerCalendarEdit.PNGButlerCardButton.PNG

ButlerRules.PNG

Like Donnie Grooms likes this
Sergei Haller February 11, 2021

great post

Eva Kasiak February 16, 2021

I was sort of puzzled by the Trello in the past 🤔 There was even a time when I was wondering why the heck Atlassian bought it (other than to expand market share) 🔑. Jira was always the best thing to me. However last year I started one initiative called IT Coaching Hub around which I've managed to build an experimental team of four people to develop the concept. 

Trello was our way to go. Why? Because of its simplicity, easy setup, and just right feeling when working within the tasks inside. 

And even though we don't have fancy paid plans in place as IT Coaching Hub does not have any budget to operate with. Trello helped us to organize the work, plan the next steps, convert high-level vision into the practical board with statuses. And it keeps us aligned and transparent. 

I've been exploring Butler and automation and I simply love it! This is exactly what's needed. As sometimes simple can become too simplistic and in the long run overcomplated - if you know what I mean 

• We use reports to send out emails about tasks in progress - so people know what's with them.
  • Have rules in place to add labels automatically and see better through the board.
  • We Archive the cards after a month - as it helps us to keep the board clean too.
  • When a new card is added it goes to the top of the backlog 
  • when the attachment is added all other people are also added to the card
  • We automatically add a check sticker to the card when its due date is marked so we know visually and quickly what's needs to be reviewed/checked.

My favorite ones are the reports sent via email - as they help all of us to understand where we need to act now. Plus I find very useful the one with the stickers and all stickers idea! it makes the work more fun.🎉

IT Coaching Hub  (1).pngIT Coaching Hub  (2).png

Like # people like this
Ieva February 16, 2021

My favorite is the Due dates!

Stanislav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2021

Change the due date and move cards to a Done list when you mark them completed.

when the due date is marked as complete in a card by me, move the card to the top of list "✅ Completed - {monthname} {year}"

and

when a card is added to list "✅ Completed - {monthname} {year}" by me, set due now, and mark the due date as complete

This way every card I either check the date as completed or move to my Done list get the same treatment: the due date is changed to the current day and they’re marked as Completed.  

Ryan James February 24, 2021

Works really well, very intuitive!

Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2021

I wrote this article about how I use Butler to keep track of tasks for Home maintenance: Using Trello + Butler to track home maintenance tasks 

Reading this thread, I see that @Davin Studer beat me to it and we've solved the same problem in slightly different ways 😅

Like # people like this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2021

@Felix your maintenance board is pretty similar to mine, I also use due date completion as the trigger to advance the due date but I do it like this:

when the due date is marked as complete in a card in list "{*} days", set due in {wildcard1} days, and move the card to the bottom of the list

The reason I set due in X days from now rather than moving the due date is that for most maintenance tasks, if you don't get around to it you don't want to do it more often. For example, say I want to clean the filters in the air conditioner every 120 days, if I don't do it for 130 days, I want to do it 120 days from the date I do the maintenance, not 110 days from the date I do the maintenance.

By moving the card to the bottom of the list, I can ensure I'm always doing the most overdue thing first, so I can just go to the board and pick something to do. I also use labels to indicate how long doing the thing takes so if I've got, say, 15 minutes I can go and pick a 15 minute task to do.

Like # people like this
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2021

@Iain Dooleynice! That's super smart, thanks for sharing. I may steal that rule and update my board 😄

Like # people like this
Marc Dvorschak March 2, 2021

Since I only use Trello for private purposes, I only have one rule and one button. Simple, but tremendously helpful!

btn_trello.pngrule_trello.png

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2021

My best Butler Automation is very simple :)

Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 10.56.34.png

Like # people like this
Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
March 10, 2021

@Pavel Junek Sometimes simple is all it takes!

Like # people like this
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2021

I'm loving the auto-assignment of tasks to team members rule - pleasantly surprised that this functionality exists in Trello!trello butler.PNG

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2021

Hi @Chris Kaundart,

Is there any chance still to get the Butler Badge please? :-)

Thank you

Pavel 

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2021

Wow, Thanks for the tips 

Like Chris Kaundart likes this
Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
March 16, 2021

@Pavel Junek The team is looking into getting that badge for you!

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2021

@Pavel Junek Done! 🎉

Jason L April 14, 2021

I'm brand new to this but I am very curious...

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

@Chris Kaundart  Thank you for challenge, by the way now, 

I am confusing when I need to propose Trello, when Jira Cloud with Next-Gen, when Jira software. 

For small teams :) Because all of them now is quite flexible and interesting started to be. 

Chris Kaundart
Atlassian Team
May 11, 2021

Hey @Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Thanks for the question. Our goal is to provide you with the tools you need to solve any problem for any team in the way that works best for that team. But of course, it’s helpful to understand which tool is right for when! Let me start by clarifying who each product is for. 

Jira Software continues to serve software development teams. Depending on how you like to work, you have two options here:

• Team-managed projects - Ideal for independent teams who want to control their own working processes and practices in a self-contained space.
  • Company-managed projects - Set up and maintained by Jira admins, company-managed projects are the best choice for teams who want to work with other teams across many projects in a standard way, such as sharing a workflow.

Note: Next-gen and classic projects have recently been renamed to team-managed and company-managed. More here

Trello, on the other hand, focuses on flexibility and delegating management to end-users rather than an admin. It is the digital manifestation of sticky notes on a wall in the real world, which makes it particularly easy to get started for those who are new to work management software or looking for a better alternative to spreadsheets and task apps. 

Atlassian also now offers Jira Work Management, which shares the same backbone and engine as Jira Software but is built specifically for business teams (marketing, HR, finance, operations, etc). It allows these teams to access the power of Jira in a way that makes sense to them while still keeping that common language to collaborate with technical counterparts. 

In Jira Work Management, the admin is in control with company-managed projects. This means you will have the structure and visibility that is so crucial, including shared workflows, data layer, automation, roadmaps, governance and more; but at the same time you can work in ways more intuitive to business teams (calendars, lists, etc). 

There are similarities between Trello and Jira Work Management, but it comes down to how much structure and connectivity to Jira you want. 

Many want the best of both worlds. Jira and Trello complement each other. For example, at Atlassian some teams use Trello for work (for their regular workflows or other tasks like brainstorming, team meetings, and retros). Other teams use Jira for more structured work like raising tickets for designers, bugs for devs, roadmaps, etc. You can design the combo that works best for you and your team!

I hope this helps but do let me know if you have any other questions.

Like # people like this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2021

Thanks for sharing this @Chris Kaundart 😃

So my favourite automation at first was the 'Scheduled And Due Date Commands' I found this really useful but actually it turns out my favourite was the 'Multiple Card And Board Buttons'! I use this so much and it makes so much quicker and easier to get things done - I think all automations Butler are great but these are truly the greatest for me!

Like # people like this
Pedro Silva May 18, 2021

My favourite automation is: Card mirroring with Butler

Pedro Silva May 18, 2021

Hi @Chris Kaundart 

A simple but powerful:

"When the due date is marked as complete in a card, move the card to list "Done"' 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events