cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Editor in Trello

149 comments

50U7R34P3R January 1, 2023

Heyho,

wanted to bring to notion that there is a problem with bulletins in the new WYSIWYG.
Because it was recommended under my card I activated it, just to notice it totally messed up the bulletins.

For starters: I use bulletins within quotations, so it would make an unordered list with the nice little line and space before it. The Markup for that would be like:

> **Headline**
>
> - first point
> - second point
> - third point

...or in "easy mode"...

> **Headline**
>
> - first point
- second point
- third point

...which also works, because of how lists work in markup, leading to the result:

test1.png

Now, using the new WYSIWYG, destroys this construct, either writing the markdown, copy-pasting it from somewhere else or even editing the description of an already existing card.
Therefor leading to the result:

test2.png

When looking in the "Markup view" (top right), you can see the problem of it:

test3.png

It automatically puts a backslash before the bulletin in the quotation, no matter, what I do. This way a lot of my card lose their by now optimized layout and look unpleasant and unstructured.

Why the WYSIWYG decides to add the backslash automatically, even when copy-pasting the markdown text in or editing already existing card descriptions, is beyond my understanding.

Why something that worked all time in Markdown, now is completely unavailable in the new editor, I dont have to understand as well...

test5.png

Like # people like this
Bob Hernon January 3, 2023

How do I turn it off, or at lease over-ride your corrupting of my encoded URLs by assuming you can alter them to your standards?

I have lots of productivity shortcuts in my cards that have been working fine for as long as you supported []() markdown for links, and now they are all breaking as you convert (or flat out remove) them.

Please stop second guessing me, or at least let me escape the markdown so you know I know what is going on and approve what you think no one should do.

Like # people like this
Carrie Click January 4, 2023

I've spent the last half hour trying to find a way for the spacing in the description in an existing card to not double space and even triple space. I just want the copy to be single spaced but the only way my copy comes out is double or triple spaced. I cannot figure out how to do this. 

Like # people like this
Jamila Weaver January 4, 2023

@Carrie Click I asked the same question as I too experienced the same thing.  The answer was to hit shift+return and it will single space.  Glad it works but still annoying to have that extra step!

Carrie Click January 4, 2023

Thanks so much, Jamila. Wonder what the advantage is of having to do that extra step. Odd! I appreicate you letting me know. C2 

Like JD likes this
davidrwood January 4, 2023

@Bob Hernon Brittany Joiner mentioned it earlier:

you should be able to go to trello.com/yourUsername/labs and then disable

I agree - the link munging is badly broken. It even breaks Gmail links

Like sfkleach likes this
Edilson Reinholz January 5, 2023

HOW TO DISABLE THE NEW EDITOR IN THE WINDOWS APPLICATION

@Brittany Joiner @Benjamin Wingerter  Some users asked about how to disable the new Trello editor in the Windows app, I don't know if they figured it out but if it helps I found out how: 

Click the SHARE FEEDBACK button just below the editor, then click DISABLE.trello.png

Like # people like this
Baptiste Costa January 18, 2023

Never asked for this, how can I turn it off?
Smiley suggestion when typing colon is horrible!

Like Leonardo likes this
Alexander Damiani January 19, 2023

Thank you Brittany Joiner for the advice on how to turn off the new feature, you just save my day work!

kmccay January 20, 2023

Not cool that it suddenly turned on while I was in the middle of working on a long description! Is there any way to turn it off for now?

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2023

@kmccay go to trello.com/your_username/labs and you should be able to toggle it off

Like sfkleach likes this
Daniel Weber January 22, 2023

Bonjour, une fois de plus ce qui est simple et qui marche bien est remplacé par ce qui est compliqué et qui marche moins bien ! J'ai une question à vous poser : j'aime pas le nouvel éditeur, y a-t-il un paramètre pour revenir à l'ancien ?

D'avance merci de votre réponse

Dan

Roberto Vis January 24, 2023

In the Old editor - when going to new line(pressing return/enter button), the default spacing between such lines was small (lines close to each other). Like here - as if written as one paragraph. Loved it. Used it a lot. 

In the new one - I don't even have that option anymore (or I can't find it). Frustrating.

For Example:

When I Try to make few points

as Separate Lines

like I am doing it here.

I Would love these lines - close to each other (as it was in the old editor).

With possibility to increase line spacing, if needed, but not forced by UI (like now).

Grateful in advance, if you would take a look at this. Otherwise a true fan of Trello.

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2023

@Roberto Vis You can enter a line break (a new line with no extra space) by holding shift while you press enter.

Like Roberto Vis likes this
Leonardo January 26, 2023

Simple but serious question: What will happen to the Markdown editor?

Like # people like this
Daniel Weber January 26, 2023

Under cover of modernity, you have changed a simple editor that worked very well with a new one that is not practical, example: I use Trello a lot to memorize links on Samsoug/Android, the new editor adds an information syntax useless "[https://www.facebook.com/groups/jardindicirecettesdumonde](https://www.facebook.com/groups/jardindicirecettesdumonde "‌")" it's nonsense! Why can't we disable this new editor for the old one?

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2023

@Daniel Weber you can - go to trello.com/your_username/labs and you should be able to toggle it off

Like # people like this
Carrie Click January 26, 2023

What is your_username? I'm going to my profile and there is nothing titled that there. There are several iterations of my name in Trello; need to know what's needed. I'm trying to disable the new editor but it's not working. 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2023
Abdelrahman Arafa January 31, 2023

Too much errors in RTL languages,

if we put website it appear with its preview, and preview is being copied,

we didn't like it

Like sfkleach likes this
vertikaldienst January 31, 2023

Might it be that the change made by the trello team changed not just the behavior (how to deal with the description) but the description itself?

Suddenly my custom bots that invoice the work automatically from within Trello do not work any more, I have addressed my programmer, lets see what he finds out...)...?

it seems this:

invoice email to: office@company.com

became this:

invoice email to: [office@company.com](mailto:office@company.com "‌")

If so, this is very bad and should never be done!

I have a lot of butler rules and custom made Bots that read data out of the description.

1) I think Trello should always refrain from changing any actual data and should just change the behavior

2) If changing of the data is unavoidable they should make it a revers-able option, so you could try and see it it suits you

3) If even that can not be done, they should announce such changes long before with a big warning sticker

Or am I completely wrong here?

Trello including Butler and their API is for professional use, I assume? So it might be that someone actually uses the data in the description.

IMPORTANT SIDE-NOTE: Disabling the editor doesn't change the description back at least I cant figure out how to do it?

(Need my custom Bots to work again!!!)

Like # people like this
djhshih February 1, 2023

I logged in today and WYSIWYG Editing was enabled... Just awful. It's a resource hug and super slow.
Please always allow the user to choose whether they want WYSIWYG editing.

It sure was not easy to find the option to disable it, but link above worked: https://trello.com/your_username/labs
The username seems to be replaced with your own if you are logged in already.

Like # people like this
Тарас Ш_ February 2, 2023

Намагюся вставити в опис картки малий фрагмент тексту скопійованого у документі  Word на Mac OS high Sierra 10.13.6, але мені вставляється не фрагмет тексту, а цілий файл плюс копійований текст чомусь додається в обкладинку картки! Як цього позбутися? Фрагменти з іншого редактора, наприклад Exel вставляються без проблем. trello_error.png

Kathleen McGrath February 2, 2023

I go between trello and other forms of text- even word.  Why is the default for pasting just text to put it in as a image- uneditable image?!  Why would it do it?  I can online use command V to paste text- but it has weird spacing and that doesn't work if using app interface on my Ipad.  MInimally you should be able to paste text into description and not have it converted to image.  This is unworkable and needs to be fixed.  I will toggle the editor off, but it isn't a bad idea. Just this is one error that needs to be fixed.

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2023

Hi @Kathleen McGrath . Text copied from another app into the new editor should typically be inserted as text, not as an image—unless the text was originally within a table, in which case pasting as a image is expected.

If you're seeing this problem even with text that's not in a table, would it be possible to share a screenshot of what you're seeing and let us know which app you're copying from (including the version)?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events