Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Editor in Trello

149 comments

Kathleen McGrath February 3, 2023

Thank you for your response. I have this problem when on my computer. That is my primary mode of interacting with my trello boards.  So for example, copying from a word document to the description section.

If I copy the above text (on Mac so command C) then paste (command v) into a card description- that works.  But if I paste into word (also works) v16.69.1 and copy it from word and paste into same card I get the below.  I also tested a number of other programs and I think it is limited to microsoft (so also powerpoint). 

Trello Problem.jpg

Sam Watkins February 4, 2023

Trello has a light-weight feel which people know and love.

After activating the new editor, I immediately turned it off again without even trying it, because there is too much visual annoyance with that toolbar in my face.

If you search google for "hate Jira" or "Jira sucks" there are several search results to put it mildly.

If you search google for "hate Trello" or "Trello sucks" there aren't any articles where people are expressing how much they hate Trello.

Don't make Trello more like Jira.

If anything, you should try to go in the other direction, and make Jira look and feel good like Trello does.

Like # people like this
Stan Green February 6, 2023

I may be a bit late to this party, but I love the "new" editor. However, I can turn it on for a while using 

https://trello.com/u/<Trello ID>/labs, but after a while (I have not tracked the exact time that passes) it reverts to the previous version. Then I have to go back in and re-enable it. What could be causing the setting to get reset?

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2023

@Stan Green That's very odd! When it reverts back to the previous experience, do you see a "Try the new editor" link beneath the description field on the card back?

Also, any chance that you're on Trello Enterprise?

Stan Green February 6, 2023

@CaityThanks for the reply.

I do not have a "Learn More" but no "Try the new editor" link. I use the link provided to turn it on.

Yes, I am on Trello Enterprise.

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2023

@Stan Green That explains it. The new version of the editor hasn't been released to all Trello Enterprise customers yet, but it will be very soon!

Caity
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2023

@Kathleen McGrath Thanks for sharing that information about your setup and what you're seeing. I'll make sure that gets to the right place—we'd definitely like to improve that!

vertikaldienst February 6, 2023

How to enter URLs and eMails without this superfluous syntax: []( ") ?

Has anyone found a way to do so?

(And does anyone know what for this syntax was force introduced in the first place? Doesn't make sense to me, an URL was presented beautifully before this change, with a preview of the linked website and an email being clicked opened my email program...The old stile URLs and eMails where saved was working far better then the new style...)

I suggest to the Trello team keep the new editor but removed that syntax...!

Like # people like this
aizzo February 8, 2023

I just got the new editor and markdown linking doesn't work.  If I try to create a link in the normal way, IE by typing "[link text]", and try to paste the URL in parenthesis, the editor turns the pasted URL into a link with text derived from the linked content, and the markdown is ignored.

Like sfkleach likes this
John M. February 8, 2023

To be honest. I'm not enjoying the new description editing format feature. It's ruining how I've formatted my descriptions for my clients.

Like this no longer works, 👇

>**Description/Copy:**

This has become some quote looking thing whenever I exit out of the description, it forces it to format this way instead,

>*_Description/Copy:_*

Also when I'm dropping Dropbox or Google Drive links, I don't see the hyperlink thumbnail tag anymore, or folder title tag. It's just an ugly long link.

Like # people like this
Ali Özgür Emekli February 9, 2023

There is no "paste text only" option!!!

Like # people like this
Anna Fritzsche February 9, 2023

@Brittany Joiner  Just came to say THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for your advice on turning off the new editor. I use Trello for social media planning (for which the new editor is not compatible) and cursed myself for weeks for ever clicking on the "try it out" prompt. 

Like # people like this
飛蛇 Pue-Tsuâ February 11, 2023

I didn't expect it was so hard to disable new editor. Totally ruined my workflow when I'm trying to copy my markdown into a card.

Like # people like this
JD February 13, 2023
Please make the ability to disable the new editor a permanent feature if you're not already planning to.

Due to my job and need to support a variety of platforms, I work almost exclusively in Markdown/plain text.   Markdown is great because it removes the need to focus on formatting and the UI and instead lets me focus on the content itself.  Because it is plain text, I can move it easily around and use tools and automation to format the Markdown as I want if/when I need to.

The new editor is completely at odds with this.  As with all WYSIWYG editors, it requires me to deal with formatting and/or the UI while I am composing content, forcing context switching and slowing me down.   Context levels aren't clear at-a-glance anymore and editing existing Markdown without using the WYSIWYG is futile.

As well, the process for copying the contents with Markdown formatting went from this:

1. Click card description to edit
2. CTRL/CMD+A, CTRL/CMD+C

to this:

1. Click card description to edit
2. Click Markdown preview button (on the right)
3. Click Markdown preview area to focus area (on the left)
4. CTRL/CMD+A, CTRL/CMD+C or Click the copy button

I have worked in, had a paid account for, and recommended Trello for many, many years.  Its streamlined, efficient and friendly UI has been a blessing over that time.  Again, please continue this legacy by not enforcing the use of WYSIWYG editors.
Like # people like this
Drew Knox February 14, 2023

We used to be able to quickly paste text from an Excel (for Mac) spreadsheet into the description field of cards however now this loads an image of the Excel cell instead. Terribly annoying.

Like # people like this
Jivan Pal February 14, 2023

This used to be a lab feature with a toggle to disable it. Now that it has become a mainstream feature, how do I disable it?!?!?!

If I cannot, this will be the nail in the coffin that permanently moves me over to Nextcloud Deck.

Like # people like this
sejgriffiths February 16, 2023

I *hate* the new double space with Enter key. Bring back single spaces. If people want double spaces, they can hit the Enter key twice!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2023

@sejgriffiths you can press shift + enter to only create one line break instead of two

sejgriffiths February 16, 2023

@Brittany Joiner 

thanks, I do know that. But it's stupid when all good word processors use the enter key for single spaces that trello decides to do something different and pointless.

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2023

@sejgriffiths i think i've seen this behavior on most rich text editors. For instance, adding a comment in here, you press enter and it does two line breaks

like this. But doing shift and enter only does one
like this. 

So, it might not be similar to other tools you use, but i think its similar to tools that others use, and in my opinion easy to workaround (just as you said, if it were the other way around its not hard to press enter twice, it's also not hard to press shift+enter)

Bill Ernst February 17, 2023

How do I deactivate the formatting?? Not needed and Its slowing me down. Thanks

Like # people like this
Luke Lin February 18, 2023

I used @ + camelcase strings for my own note taking purposes and found out today that all my strings got lowercase'd and turned into mentions that point to nowhere. Very frustrating.

Like # people like this
Bob Hernon February 20, 2023

@Luke Lin , it's a common elementary computer science concept that text strings with "code characters" support an "escape character" so one can include an actual character rather than the code character in the output. The original markdown for example supports this using the '\' escape code, and Spolsky and company didn't break it when they adopted the markdown from the original source.

Try '\@' on your @ character. If it doesn't work, it means Atlassian engineers have forgotten their own elementary computer science education. It's a bug, they should be held accountable.

I'll even go so far as to say it goes for all these user-data corruption issues people are complaining about regarding special formatting we use and need that seem to be usurped and corrupted consistently. Another elementary CS concept is "code reuse" (encapsulation and inheritance both build on that fundamental concept).  So every piece of code that turns user input into "formatted cool stuff" should behave consistently and correctly for all "character codes" that signal altered output.

'k, that's all I'm going to preach on this. Everyone who agrees, please thumbs up this comment. Maybe we can get user driven improvements and avoid degrading one of the most useful software products on the planet today.

davidrwood February 21, 2023

It would be great if it didn't keep turning itself on and making me go to https://trello.com/labs to turn it back off again 🙄 

Also it would be great if, when it was turned on, there wasn't an annoying message with an distracting emoticon telling me how to use the Description field.

Surely that's only useful the first time someone opens a card and is just distracting noise for the thousands of subsequent times. It's a UX reminiscent of the Microsoft paperclip character.

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
February 21, 2023

@Drew Knox To paste from Excel, you can right click in the description and select "Paste and match style".

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events