My Love of Trello Power-Ups

Hard to believe Trello has 100+ power-ups (known as apps for other Atlassian products) to choose from, enabling us to collaborate with teams and organize our work and personal lives more efficiently and effectively. I am in the process of trying out all the power-ups via a Trello Sandbox Board I created, where I can learn about each power-up and experiment with the different features.

In the meantime, I have a few favourite go-tos that help simplify my efforts:

The Card Aging Power-Up (I like pirate mode) is super useful - I turn it on about once a month to have a quick glance at cards that have not been actioned in a while. This helps me put my attention on tasks that may have been “back-burnered” due to other priorities, and I can then re-prioritize and action them.

card aging.jpg

The Calendar Power-Up is also a great way to visualize your Trello boards by week or month, based on the due dates you assign to each card and by using the filter feature. This has helped me have a bird’s eye view of my due dates so that I can accomplish my tasks strategically, like a game of chess.

cal-month.png

The Card Repeater Power-Up for Trello automates the creation of Trello cards for repeated tasks, giving you one less thing to have to think about. Simply set the schedule on a card and Trello will automatically make an exact copy of that card at the given date and time. I use the card repeater for my daily workouts, so that each morning it appears in my Today list. That way it is top of mind so I ensure I squeeze a workout into my daily schedule, which helps me keep daily exercise a priority each day. I also use it for monthly and weekly tasks like a Bring Forward (BF) system - tasks I don’t need to look at everyday but they magically appear on my board when I need to action them.

card repeater.jpg

I'm also fascinated with the Butler Power-Up and I want to explore more ways to automate my tasks—conserving time and a few mouse clicks.

butler.png

What are your favourite Trello Power-Ups? Would love to hear from you in the comments below.

52 comments

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2019

I've also thought Trello is super powerful without power-ups, but in the last couple years, i've really started to get more into them and see how they really can take Trello to the next level!!

The Card Repeater Is Definitely a fav. I also like the Custom Fields Power-Up. That's probably my all time favorite. I've found a ton of uses for it, most recently in my daily "journal" on trello (spot for me to write down what i'm thankful for and something im looking forward to), and also using it on my testing experiments board for work (keeping track of impression counts and click rates for the control and variant). It's been a game changer. I also discoverd the other day that you can sort by custom fields, which is pretty interesting and I want to start playing with that!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2019

Thanks for sharing Brittany, I will definitely have to check out the Custom Fields Power-Up. I also love that you have a Trello daily journal - I may have to do update my hard copy gratitude journal into a virtual one - thanks for the inspiration :)

Like # people like this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2019

I don't actually use any power ups... I find them to be kind of cute but not really useful at all, and architecturally they are a real pain, especially as you start to scale a team. Almost none of them work on mobile too which makes them pretty much a non-starter in almost all use cases.

The Butler power up is nowhere near as powerful as Butler Bot used to be! But they phased out the bot :(

The most useful power ups are Calendar and Custom Fields, both of which are provided by Trello, and Butler which is now acquired by Trello... the Calendar and Custom Fields also work on mobile. So basically they're just like, Trello features.

Trello, IMHO, needs to totally rethink their power up system from the ground up!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2019

Thanks for sharing Iain, I am glad you find the calendar and custom fields useful. I am not a developer so I am grateful for those who took the time to develop these 100+ power-ups. It sounds like you have developed something that works for you and your organization based on your Trellinator posts.

Like # people like this
BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2019

I use Trello daily but haven't used any power-ups - I'm inspired. Going to give them a try!

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2019

That's great @BiancaE , I am looking forward to hearing what power-ups have been helpful for you once you have a chance to try them out.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019

Nice article @Jodi LeBlanc!

It has spawned some great reactions. I currently am not leading any Trello-based teams at the time, so Trello is just helping me keep my private life in order for now! 🤓👍

Don't know if any Power Ups would be of use for that... pretty straight forward boards & cards structure. But will check it out.

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2019

My all-time favorite is the Calendar Power-Up, it's also the very first one I've used! It's so useful to build editorial calendars but also to manage your tasks.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2019

Thanks @Andy - PTC Redundant, I actually use all of those power-ups for my personal boards - you should give them a try! :)

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2019

Thanks @Alice I am glad to hear you love the calendar power-up as well :)

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc: Worth a try ! Especially for a few personal projects that don't get enough attention! Busy Life - Busy Trello boards 😋😍

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2019

@Andy - PTC Redundant hope you find the power-ups ramp up your productivity! :)

edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Interesting. Thank you!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2019

Thanks @edwin :)

Katrin Anger
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2019

My favorite Power-Up is Butler. And then the Custom Fields Power-Up.

The Hello Epics Power-Up I also find quite useful, but not nearly as powerful as Butler. My hope is that the Butler Power-Up soon gets more power, similarly to the ButlerBot.

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2019

Gotta say that Butler is my favorite power-up. It's great at keeping your boards clean and takes care of all of your mundane repetitive tasks.

Do you have to rearrange your to-do list by labels routinely? Why not use a button and have Butler do it for you? Have a card that you create once a week? Tell Butler it's his job now. Not only is it powerful, it's also fun to setup.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2019

Thanks for sharing @Katrin Anger I have not tried Hello Epics Power-Up yet but will check it out. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2019

Thanks @Jonny Adams I have to do some board clean up soon so I need to dive in deeper with Butler. Thanks for those examples, I'm going to make a point to incorporate more repetitive tasks, especially love that you said it was fun to setup the various jobs for Butler :)

Dan Collins February 23, 2019

I am anxiously awaiting the rerelease of Butler, as a business class user.

We are using the Unito Power-up with great success on my team, allowing for seamless syncing across different team boards and allowing me to have "one board to rule them all'.

Also, there is a very obscure Power-up that you have to enable in developer mode (I am not a developer. I am basically a recruiter). It is called Checklist Bot (search Youtube for a demo). It allows for the creation of process workflows across a board; the automated addition of checklists and labels at each stage. And the automated movement from one list to the next upon completion of a checklist. It is VERY helpful. But I don't think it is listed on the Power-up store unless you go into the wild and add it.

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2019

Thanks for sharing Dan, I have heard great things about the Unito Power-Up, but haven't tried it yet. I will be sure to check out the Checklist bot, hopefully it will be available in the power-ups listing so that more non-dev Trello users will be able to try it out.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2019
Imran ahmed February 25, 2019

Hi i need help in adding the version to add test cases into that but i am unable find the versions page on new JIRA can anyone help me.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2019

Hi @Imran ahmed I recommend you posting this as a question, and tag it with Jira so that someone from the community can send you the version page you are looking for.

Santhosh Vegolam February 28, 2019

Hello @Jodi LeBlanc 

i want small help regarding db tables on below

I want the DB tables details while we are transition of issue which tables we can see updates. like moving from To-do to In progress and then In progress to done etc

We are using postgres(Type-postgres72) database with version-9.5.10

our jira version is 7.9.2

Kindly request you to share the db tables names

Thanks!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2019

Hi @Santhosh Vegolam I would recommend you create a question and tag it with Jira to get the database tables you are requesting. Thank you.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events