Making The Most Out Of Trello: A Total n00b’s guide

HelloTrello.jpgHELLO TRELLO 

Did you know that there is this awesome tool called Trello?
You didn’t? No way!

Even if you have, maybe you’ve also tried it out?
You have?! Great! And… you like it?

Oh… you used it a few weeks and then deleted it from your device…? That’s a bummer…. because if you don’t have it installed on your device (or bookmarked in your web browser, like me… #nerd) then you potentially are doing your-self a major disservice!

I’ve been using Trello on a serious professional level now for the past 20mths and in 2019 that level really started to peak. And the results are AMAZING! But I’m not gonna brag about how awesome my boards are… I’m gonna help motivate you to get Trello top of the Apps list on your device and also bookmarking it in your web browser…!

Are you ready!? Good!

On your marks… get set….. GO!

FriendOfTaco.jpg FUN MAN ANDY’S 9 STEP GUIDE TO:

OPTIMISING YOUR NEWBIE TRELLO USE  

Step 1: Download it and make an account…. It’s FREE ! :D

Go to Trello.com and set-up an account. There is no payment or any obligations. How awesome, right?
If you are doing it from your mobile/tablet device, download it from the relevant app store!

Step 2: Get your profile properly up-to-date

It took me over 4 months to realise I didn’t even upload a profile photo. Oops. Once you have an account and are logged in, make the effort to fully update your profile! It feels so good to do that.

Step 3: Don’t hesitate… just do! BUILD!

Worried that your boards won’t work? Don’t! Are you concerned that you feel that you should have loads of cards and loads of lists? Don’t! Afraid that you won’t know how to use everything and make it look cool? Don’t!

Just get in there and get going. JUST DO IT!

Step 4: Mobile App vs. Desktop

Do you like to do everything via the mobile app? Brilliant! Go for it!

Do you prefer to pour over your to-do lists or ideas on a larger screen? Fabulous! Go for it!

Do you like to do both because you are a massive nerd! AWESOME! Welcome to the club.

Both have their pros and until now… I haven’t found any cons yet. 🤗

I use the web browser for my deep-thinking / editing sessions and the mobile app for on the go!

Step 5: FOCUS!

Poor Priorities: Terrible Time Management. Do not try and work on all your boards all at the same time. It will lead to disappointment when you suddenly realise, you’re not achieving.

Try also to set-aside some Trello time for yourself, especially if you’re using it personally, not in a team environment, where constant use will be more naturally.

I do really minor updates almost daily, but the BIG updates are on Sunday mornings before the family wakes up!

Step 6: Spice it up. #EMOJIS #COVERS

I am sure after a day or two you probably think your Trello looks pretty-boring. YES! You are right. Get in there, have some fun, and try out different emoji’s in the titles of your boards and lists and use the covers!

A time will come when you start posting links, photos, sketches and more – but for now, let emoji’s and covers jazz it up and give it some FUN!

Step 7: Hook-up with other nerds

There is the Online Community Trello Product Category --> HERE where you can hang out with Trello nerds - like The "Boss" of Trello Erica and master Trello users Jodi, Devon, Iain and Brittany - getting massive inspiration, have burning questions answered, and use all the available content to enhance your Trello skills.

And then there is the Offline Community of Trello Events --> HERE where you can hang out with even more Trello nerds... just ones closer to home!

Step 8: Become a FRIEND OF TACO !

Jump on over to this Community page and become a Friend of Taco --> HERE! It'll help you earn a badge on community, PLUS get you going with all matters Trello.

Step 9: ENJOY IT !

Get into it as much as possible and do ya thing!

Trello is not just a lot of fun, it also really helps with productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness; whether it’s for individual use or collaborating in a team, or it’s for business or leisure, there is a lot to be enjoyed by using Trello!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Examples:

One of my Trello boards in the early days! Nota bene: I didn’t achieve much!

Trello_n00b_01.png

The same Board after I started upping my game. Now there is lots being achieved regularly! (Note the removal of some lists...! I'll cover effectiveness in a future article!)

Trello_n00b_02.jpg

Another Board, now that I’ve been constantly improving my skills! My wife and I are collaborating on it to plan a special holiday. We're leaving no stone unturned thanks to Trello!

Trello_n00b_03.jpg

8 comments

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2019

Hi! 

Thanks! Do you have a plan do make a gif with instructions :)

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2019

@Gonchik Tsymzhitov : Welcome!
Have you hacked my Trello board where I keep my ideas.... ? because YES! 🤓👍 I do have a plan to write an article on how to MAKE GIFs ! ! 
It will be released soon. Will let you know when it's live 😎✍ you will love it 💙

Like Kat Warner likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2019

Awesome post Andy, loved all the tips you shared!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words @Jodi LeBlanc 😇🙏

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2019

I like using Trello. 

For me - it is like the younger brother to JIRA :P .

I try to use TRELLO via SLACK - I connect, list, search , add, comment using SLACK.

I guess we can have more relationship between Trello and SLACK :p .

Best thing about TRELLO is that it is very easy to use and pretty idle for Project/Issue Management Starters.

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2019

Nice comment Vickey! Will make for a great comments during our Trello Event next week... "Is Trello just Jira's younger brother or is it so much more?" 

Wow... that is awesome that you are integrating. great job! 👏🌟
You should write a topic piece on community about your experience!!

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2019

How could I miss this great article - thanks Fun Man Andy (again and again) - awesome start for wonderful TRELLO! 😎

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2020

@Fabienne Gerhard : Because this Community is a beast and there is sooooo much awesome content. Hard to filter it out at times! 😉 Hope this left you super inspired.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events