How I use Trello to Manage My Job Search

Trello is a great ally when it comes to organizing big and small projects. Personally, I’m finding it extremely helpful during this job hunting phase of my life. I tried all sorts of detailed board set-ups during the last few months, but I recently reorganized it and I discovered that keeping it very simple is the way to go, at least for me.

2020-01-29 11_43_01-Job Hunting _ Trello.png

In my job hunting board, I only have 4 lists:

• Info: this is where I bookmark useful information and job offer pages.
  • To Do: where I usually send the job offers I find around to review in a second moment and decide whether to apply for them or not. I use the Chrome extension to simplify the process.
  • Pending: when I apply for a job, I move the card over this list so I can keep track of how many positions I applied for.
  • Archived: this is where I move the cards that become outdated since most of the time you won’t hear back from recruiters, or when I receive a rejection replies (in this case I would add an emoji cross next to the job title).

2020-01-29 12_01_21-Job Hunting _ Trello.png

Labels:

• To be approved: this is mostly used for the applications sent via my University website since they need to be approved before getting sent to companies.
  • Job interview: I like to keep track of the interviews I do and I add notes about them in the back of the cards.
  • CV: I have 2 or 3 different kinds of CVs that I like to send, personalized according to the job offer, so I like to use labels to remember what CV I sent for each application.

2020-01-29 11_42_47-Job application #6 on Job Hunting _ Trello.png

Power-Ups:

• Map: this is extremely useful for jobs I apply for locally because I can easily plan my itinerary if I get an interview request.
  • Custom Fields (Optional): when my board was extremely detailed and complicated, I used the Custom Fields Power-Up to keep track of all the details of each job application (deadline, payment, job title,etc.). I like to keep things simpler now, but this is a great Power-Up if you’re trying to log as many details as possible.

Finally, I use the due dates to keep track of when a job application expires or when I applied to a job.

11 comments

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2020

@Alice Love the simplicity — thanks for sharing, Alice!

Like Alice likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2020

Wow @Alice you and are are so in-sync!

I had a 'jobs' board as well! It had lists like 'applied' and 'interview' and things like that.

When I didn't get one, I had a 'feedback' list where I put all the feedback that I got after the interview for the next time

I used custom fields a LOT, everything from salary to hours to team/department!

I use Google Drive to attach all the files of the CVs, applications, job descriptions and information about the company/department that I submitted as well, so that I could always get to the documents that I needed!

Thank you for sharing!

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

@Alice ,

Wow, A Great way to use Trello :) 

-Sri

Like # people like this
Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2020

Thanks for sharing this @Alice , the map power up is one of my favorites too. I love that you can see a map view of the card locations.

Best of luck with your job search - it looks like you might be looking to join Atlassian??

Like # people like this
Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2020

@Esme Crutchley thank you! The Google Drive POwer-Up is a lifesaver for sure and Custom Fields are always extremely useful.

@Sri Kumar thanks! And great use of GIFs 😏

@Alison thank you! Yes, I love that the Map Power-Up works on mobile too. It's incredibly useful. I'm very passionate about the company and this community 😃

Like Erica Moss likes this
Mo Beigi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2020

Awesome stuff @Alice ! Very creative usage of Trello, definitely beats using a single document to track everything.

Out of curiosity do you also attach a lot of files to cards (or use external storage services)?

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2020

@Mo Beigi thank you! I'm glad you find it useful. I don't have many files attached to cards because my CVs and presentation letters are stored in Google Drive, but some job applications I stumbled upon provided further information on PDF files so I attached them to the corresponding Trello cards for future reference.

Jessica
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2020

This is awesome @Alice ! Great use case, super creative way to use Trello. Thanks for sharing!

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

@Jessica thank you so much!

Emily Koch
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2020

Thanks for sharing your board, and best of luck in the job search!

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

@Emily Koch thank you!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events