• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Hands free Trello card creation with Siri Shortcuts

Siri Shortcuts (previously Workflows) has really improved over the past couple of years and one of the biggest improvements I've seen is the ability to run a shortcut using a voice command.

My favourite Siri shortcut is to create a Trello card in my Inbox list using voice dictation (I used to do this with a hack via IFTTT and using SMS to send a TXT, but that recently stopped working).

On the face of it this seems pretty easy to do, however I had to use a little trick to make it work, which was to put in a "wait" for 1 second in order to get the dictation to work, here's the shortcut:

image (4).png

This is almost always hands free, although sometimes you need to unlock the phone before it will create a Trello card. I haven't been able to figure out why, but most of the time it will create the card by voice dictation even with the phone locked.

If you combine this method with automation (either using Butler or directly via the API, eg. with Trellinator) then you can do some really cool stuff.

For example, in addition to this generic card creation, I have a "Shopping List" shortcut that creates the card in a different list, then an automation picks that up and automatically adds a checklist item to the shopping list card I share with my wife, then archives the card that Shortcuts created.

The future is now!! Happy automating :)

8 comments

This cool.😎 Better than my Telegram bot-Trello. 👍

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley Community Leader Jun 16, 2020

@SGi Admin I don't personally use Telegram but it seems like the API is way better than other cross platform messaging services.

Unfortunately I can't attest to the functionality of the above from Apple Watch because I'm still on Series 1 and they've disabled shortcuts on S1 watches (at least as far as I can confirm, on the 38mm one that I have). Probably to try and get me to upgrade ;)

@Iain Dooley I too have a hand-me-down watch from my son. 

On Telegram, the API appears to be well structured and easy to understand. Most important you are free to use it. So I used to build ML conversational as well as business bots (like ordering food, update orders like $$..etc).

When I saw your article, I wonder why i had not attempt to dictate to my bot. Most keyboard have this feature.

Great Job.

@Iain Dooley 

Thanks, I followed the directions as pictured but I'm not sure what to say to SIRI to trigger the sequence. Can you help me with that part plz?

Katie

Iain Dooley Community Leader Oct 12, 2020

@Katie Petrie whatever you call the shortcut, like "Hey Siri Create Trello Card"

Sadly, this only works on older versions of IOS

Iain Dooley Community Leader Oct 23, 2020

@nathan Brown I just updated to 14.1 and it works for me! 

@Iain Dooley @nathan Brown  Can confirm that it works. Also I was able to use the same the Butler add-on endpoint together with the Trello shortcuts. Trying to figure out a use case for it. 

Here's a demo:

1. Uses Lookup Trello to find IDs for registry, module and card_id
  2. Create http request to endpoint
  3. Update a Numbers spreadsheet
  4. Display list of Custom Fields
  5. Enable select from any of the custom fields from card

To voice activate, simply speak the name of the Shortcut to Siri

A second demo to call Contalist to get contact details that would be not be available on mobile device.

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Introducing: A Whole New Trello

After a decade of growing the most ubiquitous visual framework for productivity and project management, we are evolving Trello’s boards, lists, and cards model to bring context to content and help te...

611 views 23 21
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you