Download attachments from Trello cards

📎 You've attached an Excel file to a Trello card. Great! What now?

If you're done looking at the preview for that file and maybe want to make some changes, it's time to download the file. Once upon a time there was a download button next to the attachment. But with browsers (most notably Chrome) changing the way download security works, the link quit working several months ago. Trello removed the (nonfunctional) link.

Fear not however; you can still download your attached files! Simply right-click the "open in new tab" button or attachment preview and use the option in your browser to download the file. It's two-click easy!

Chrome

image.png

Save link as...

Microsoft Edge

image.png

Save target as

Firefox

image.png

Save Link As...

Safari

image.png

Download Linked File

image.png

12 comments

Mackeriah October 23, 2018

I wonder if you could have left the Download button but used it to redirect users to this page instead, for a while at least.

Deleted user November 1, 2018

I wonder if you simply could have fixed the download link not working, like all other companies who still provide a download link in Chrome......

Like # people like this
GriehleNEF January 22, 2019

Seems like, after such a long time a good dev shop could have fixed this. I guess we could return to Asana if we prefer things that work without having to research them.

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

This is great @Daniel Eads  I remember seeing a lot of community questions on this when Trello removed the link. Awesome that you provided screen shots of all the browser views. Very helpful post :)

robert lowe April 29, 2019

I get that there are browser issues but why not retain it in the Trello app? There's no right click/save link as option there, which makes it likely I'll ditch the app before long. 

Matthew October 15, 2019

This strategy doesn't appear to work in Firefox 69.0.1.  If I click "Save link as"  I get a link (not the file) saved.  The link leads to a dead end.  The reason I have a paid subscription is to furnish files for clients and at present they can't access them.  Is there a fix / solution in the works?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

Hi @Matthew , this is indeed unexpected behavior that doesn't occur in Chrome. I've verified the behavior in Firefox 69 and raised it with our developers. Note that this only seems to affect image attachments in Firefox - the steps above still work fine for documents such as Excel spreadsheets.

As a temporary workaround, you can click to open the image preview and then right-click and select "Save Image As..." when the image preview comes up. This adds three extra clicks, but still gets the image downloaded in the meantime.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2019

@Matthew My Firefox has just updated to 70.0 (and also tested again in 69.0.3). Despite the download confirmation box saying "Preview Document" as the format, it does actually save the image file. Are you still able to reproduce the broken download?

Денис Монахов November 26, 2019

Добрый день, не подскажете в чем проблема? Все файлы, что мне присылают не открываются и не скачиваются. Интернет стабильный, нигде не нашел ответа.  Браузер Google Chrome. На скрине при нажатии на название, и при нажатии на стрелку что выходит.

2019-11-26_133109.jpg23.jpg32у.jpg

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

@Денис Монахов : Are you able to post your question in English, or would you like a Community Manager to find a Russian speaking community leader to help you out...?
I suggest you post a NEW question in Russian so that it can be found quickly!

Kaitlin Hochgreve March 4, 2020

This doesn't work and changes the file format upon saving. Not helpful. 

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2020

Hey @Kaitlin Hochgreve - I've posted on another thread where you've asked about getting a file downloaded from a Trello card. With more information like the operation system you're using, browser, etc, we'll be able to track down the problem you're seeing. Thanks!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events