Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Mini-Habits with Trello and Siri Shortcuts

If you haven't heard of Mini-Habits, the basic idea is that you can establish habits slowly over time by setting very low expectations. If you want to meditate for 20 minutes, set a daily goal of meditating for 1 minute. If you want to run a marathon, start with a daily goal of walking 5 minutes and so on.

The key to success with mini habits is to do them consistently, but I always had a problem: I had so many of them that I wanted to achieve, but I didn't have a good way of avoiding favouring one habit over another. I also didn't want to just do all my mini-habits at once, because one of the goals of mini-habits is to gradually expand the length of time you're doing them.

I toyed with a few different ideas but in general the administrative overhead of tracking the mini habits was so great that it dissuaded me from taking action.

Eventually what I ended up doing is creating a "meta-mini-habit": a single mini-habit that randomly triggered all of the other mini-habits that I wanted to build into my life.

Of course, I used Trello and Siri Shortcuts :) Here's how:

First, create a Trello board with a list called "Mini Habits" and create one card for each mini-habit you want to establish. If you want to over-represent a particular habit, just duplicate that card to create more of them:

IMG_E9960811F850-1.jpeg

Then create the following shortcut:

IMG_0887.PNG

Save it as something like "Mini Habit". Now when you say "Hey Siri, Mini Habit" it will simply select one card at random from your list of mini-habits and read it out to you.

My "meta-mini-habit" is that every time I stand up from my desk during the day I say "Hey Siri, Mini Habit" and it picks something for me to do.

I set the same thing up for my kids on their iPad and they all of a sudden got a surge of motivation to do little bits of lots of little self-improvement tasks (piano practise for a few minutes, fold 5 pieces of clothes, put away 1 toy and so on). I wonder how long it'll take for the novelty to wear off for them ;)

For me, though, this has been a way to build persistent habits that have graduated from mini habits into my life such as running every day (currently up to 12km/day), doing pull ups and tricep dips (2 sets of 6 reps each currently).

What sorts of mini habits would you like to incorporate into your daily life?

2 comments

Dean Dadhaniya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 19, 2020

Is there any android equivalent?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

@Dean Dadhaniya not sure! I don't use Android. Action blocks seems to be Google's answer to Siri Shortcuts, although I'm not sure if Trello is plugged in there yet: https://voicebot.ai/2019/10/03/googles-new-action-blocks-are-siri-shortcuts-for-android/

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events