Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alice Camilla on organizing your work/life/fandoms with Trello!

AliceCamilla.png

@Alice is a university student, currently writing her MA thesis in Archaeology. She's also a freelance blogger and content creator, writing about geeky stuff from productivity apps to JRR Tolkien. Read on to discover how she organizes her life and geeky fandoms with Trello! 

How did you first find Trello and what was your first board?

Unfortunately, I don’t remember how I discovered Trello (probably from a blog), but I'm pretty sure it was in 2015. I had just graduated and I wanted to get my blog organized so I started a board to use as my editorial calendar and the rest is history!

That first board was organized in a very basic Kanban style, but I also used the calendar Power-Up, which was the most useful thing ever since I used to publish multiple posts per week at that time.

What Trello board are you most proud of?

Last Summer, I became a regular contributor to the Page Flutter blog and part of my job is to brainstorm new blog posts every month. Once I got the job, I immediately created a Trello board to collect all my ideas and it has been a lifesaver ever since!

Pageflutter.png

The structure is very simple: the first list contains a couple of cards with useful info and links, then I have a master list of post ideas (I constantly add cards to that list even from my phone because the best ideas always come up randomly during the day), then “Monthly Pitch” is where I move the cards of the posts I’d like to write about, finally I have the “Writing” list, which is pretty explanatory. Then I move all my completed tasks in a “Done” list and I usually add the corresponding Google Doc and the images I used in the article. This way, Trello works also as an archive for me. In this board, I use the Google Drive Power-Up and I love it! Especially because you can create new documents directly from the card view.

What is your favorite Trello power-up?

The Calendar Power-Up, hands down. It allows you to use a board in an even more flexible way and it’s also available on mobile, so it’s definitely my favorite one!

Darth.jpg

What positive influence would you say Trello has had on your life or career?

Trello has been incredibly useful for me when I was still attending University classes and studying for exams, I had a board with a list for each day of the week and I used cards to time-block my days. I loved to plan my week every Sunday and I also had a list of useful information and checklists. I was afraid of not being able to power-use Trello anymore after University, but the truth is that you can use it for whatever you want! I still have the board I used in 2015 to plan my trip to London and it works as a memory keeper now.

It’s so nice being able to have all in one place! I’ve never felt as organized as since I started using Trello. In the beginning, I was so excited that I started using it for everything, I don’t even remember how many boards I had! I’ve definitely reduced the number of boards I have now, keeping the most useful ones and merging together some of the old ones.

Trello is where I store all my ideas, plans and things like that. It definitely improved my life!

What do you do for fun? (And of course, do you use Trello to facilitate even more fun!)

Even if I have to spend most of my days researching for my thesis, I still love reading for pleasure (cozy mysteries are my absolute favorites!) and watching movies. At the beginning of the year, I started a board to keep track of all the 2018 releases and now I’m also keeping a record of the movies I want to rent or that I’ve purchased (sometimes it’s difficult to remember where they are stored - Amazon, Play Store, and so on!)

movies.png

Finally, I love to play The Lord of the Rings Online, which is an MMORPG, and I created a board for it to keep track of all the nerdiest things you can think of. From combat stats to regional deeds, the schedule of various festivals, personal notes on my characters... This board brings me so much joy, haha.

LOTRO.png

6 comments

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 20, 2018

I love this, @Alice! I'm going on vacation next week, any cozy mysteries you recommend? I enjoy them too but haven't read them super widely!

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2018

Thank you, @Monique vdB!

Well, my absolute favorites are the classics: Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie (the Poirot series, in particular) and I couldn't recommend them enough. However, a couple of years ago, I've stumbled upon the Murder, She Wrote novels and I love them so much, they are very similar to the TV show! They aren't very popular, but reading those books is definitely my guilty pleasure. 😄

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
June 21, 2018

@Aliceoh, definitely love Poirot and Holmes! I hadn't heard of the Murder, She Wrote novels but immediately went to check the library. They have a handful of random ones, so I downloaded The Fine Art of Murder and look forward to reporting back!

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2018

@Monique vdB that's awesome!! I haven't read them all (there are so many!), but two of my favorites are Rum and Razors and The Queen's Jewels. I've read one you download too, but it's been some time so I don't actually remember the whole story, however, I hope you'll enjoy it. These are perfect readings for a vacation. Please, keep me posted! 😃

Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2018

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this feature. Not only do I get to pick up ideas from your workflow, but I got to discover Page Flutter and all the planner spreads I can try and experiment for myself! Thanks @Alice

These days I use Trello to build a solid list of books to add to my personal library. It's become my favorite board this year! I also have a board to track marathons I wanna do: read all of the books in my library, finish One Piece, play all games in the Pokemon franchise, etc. Both have become my favorite ways to spend my weekends. :D

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2018

@Stef this makes me so happy!! I love the way you're using Trello for your passion projects! Thank you for sharing :)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events