ANNOUNCEMENT: Sunsetting Trello's Bitbucket Power-Up

Starting in October 2022, we are deprecating Trello’s Bitbucket power-up. You won’t be able to link or view the Bitbucket Cloud content within your Trello boards and the power-up will be removed from all boards after September 30, 2022.

We appreciate usage of this power-up by all of you who have adopted it. Cross-product integrations are a big priority for us and over the last several years the Jira and Bitbucket Cloud integration has improved significantly. We are this way able to provide more powerful and feature-rich experience to our customers who wish to monitor their Bitbucket Cloud activity in Jira and vice versa, to manage their Jira content from Bitbucket Cloud.

Please read about how you and your team can enjoy the seamless integration of issues and code when you connect Bitbucket Cloud with Jira Software Cloud. Once connected, a developer need only include a Jira issue key in a branch name, commit message, or pull request title to get the full integration experience both within the Jira Software Cloud as well as Bitbucket Cloud.

26 comments

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2022

@Katarína Lukácsy thanks for the heads up! I don't use it personally but I'll try to keep it in mind if case I see any questions about it!

Like # people like this
Roger Weber September 30, 2022

I find it unfortunate that Atlassian would intentionally disable the integration between their own products.  

What assurances are there that future integrations won't be similarly disabled?  

Like # people like this
Michael Caldwell October 1, 2022

I agree with @Roger Weber - it's perplexing why Atlassian would disable the integration between two of its own products.  I assume they want me to switch from Trello to Jira? Not gonna happen.

Like # people like this
alexpanov October 2, 2022

Wow. Bad.

Like # people like this
Will October 3, 2022

No email or any other advanced warning. Just went to review some code this morning and the powerup has vanished.

Not moving to Jira & can't trust Atlassian products after this. The power-up didn't even do that much...

Like # people like this
natashabates October 3, 2022

Started work this morning only to find one of our key powerups has been deprecated. There's not even a suggestion on what to do as an alternative - other than move to Jira. Not gonna happen.

Like # people like this
Will October 3, 2022

Image shows https://www.atlassian.com/software/bitbucket/pricing showing this is part of BitBuckets offering.

bitbucket-trello.png

Like # people like this
Allan Pinheiro de Lima October 3, 2022

Why not just keep it there and alert users that will not be maintained further ? 
This plugin was a big part of my workflow and was the reason I was keeping Bitbucket and integrated so many things into atlassian.

Is there any other power-up that does the same ? Is there a way to even develop something at that level ? Is there any chance that the old code be made open-source so the community can keep maintaining it ?

Like # people like this
Roger Weber October 4, 2022

for those looking for an alternative, the GitHub powerup is still available.  

GitHub.jpg

Like # people like this
natashabates October 5, 2022

@Roger Weber - Our repos are in Bitbucket though. How did you get the GitHub power up to display Bitbucket repos?

Like benevans.be likes this
Maximilian Friedersdorff October 5, 2022

This is very disappointing...

Like # people like this
Maximilian Friedersdorff October 5, 2022

@natashabates I assume Roger means that one could move their repositories to GitHub instead

Like Roger Weber likes this
Allan Pinheiro de Lima October 5, 2022

@Roger Weber the big thing here is that private repos on github are not free. Although I use ( and pay ) for some of bitbucket services, migrating from a free private repos to paid would not be ideal.

Well, I was about to answer you, then I peeked the github pricing and, it seems, now private repos are free and they even have 2000 minutes of github actions on free plan...

It is hard not to migrate now. I will take a deeper look into the migration cost and services I use on bitbucket and maybe I'll try, because, originally, when I decided to use bitbucket mainly for the unlimited private repos...

Like # people like this
Will October 5, 2022

I don't know if there's anything stopping them from removing the Github Trello powerup next, with no notice via email again, just some hidden forum post.

Safer to move away from Trello at this point 😢

Like # people like this
Jared Smith October 10, 2022

Wow! We recently moved to Trello from Pivotal Tracker partly because the Bitbucket integration in Trello was nicer.

FYI there's also a GitLab integration: https://trello.com/power-ups/596d1abf23be1b7ab89cf4c4/gitlab.

I wonder if Atlassian realized this would entice folks to move from Bitbucket to GitHub or GitLab. For us, it's not just source control, but CI too. Today we use Bitbucket Pipelines.

Like # people like this
szabolcs_kelemen October 12, 2022

Crippling your own product, so people would use the more expensive one. Amazing. Makes me really trust Atlassian as a company.

Like # people like this
BlinkWeb October 17, 2022

But what if we don't use Jira. what if i have to choose with bitbucket issues. 
we are not larege team to manage jira.

it was great feature to attech card with commit and pr.
🥺
we wanted to stick with bitbucket paid plan and CICD. now we need to look for alternative.

Like # people like this
Steve Fletcher October 24, 2022

most unfortunate and unwise move to disable.  hope Atlassian will listen to the complaints and reconsider before a mass exodus occurs to other non-Atlassian products.

Like # people like this
Daryl Richter November 1, 2022

yeah, this is really stupid. most of us on trello are here exactly because we don't like jira. you are really shooting yourself in the foot. think about it, i can integrate github to my trello you idiots...

Like James Cornett likes this
SteveFletcher52 November 1, 2022

After a couple days researching alternative options, I've found Clickup.com to be a fairly easy replacement to Trello.  They can port your board directly from Trello and the Bitbucket integration is MUCH better than Trello or Jira.    (just in case anyone is looking for alternatives)

Like # people like this
Will November 2, 2022

I would recommend Clickup.com as well. Similar to Trello, actually better in some areas, with BitBucket integration as well. We moved over to it seamlessly using the import from Trello feature.

Like Roger Weber likes this
adrzystek January 23, 2023

For months I've been thinking about migrating to GitHub because of their generous free tier of GitHub Actions. But Trello and its integration was keeping me with Bitbucket. With this news you helped me make the decision.

Astounding, though, that such a large organisation makes such radical moves without any warnings or at least a newsletters campaign to its users. That's so harming to your credibility.

Like # people like this
tomihawk February 4, 2023

Big part of my workflow just disappeared.  This will be what finally pushes me to GitHub.  I started using Bitbucket way back when GitHub only offered public repos for free, but after they extended it to private repos and everyone I knew was jumping on the GitHub bandwagon I still stuck with Bitbucket.  I thought I was vindicated when Trello was brought under the same umbrella and everything would work seamlessly together.

But I can see now that the only reason Atlassian bought Trello was to run it into the ground and push its users to Jira.  Not going to happen.  I'll go back to post-its on my whiteboard before I go back to Jira.

It's been nice knowing you Bitbucket but I'm going to where the integration is.

Like James Cornett likes this
Horven March 1, 2023

Like previous comments said, this decision is infuriating to say the least... I use jira since 2015 at work and I hate it with a passion, thanks but no thanks Atlassian...

What you accomplished with this moronic move is to force users to leave for better alternatives, and spoiler: nobody will choose Jira...  but maybe they will also migrate to GitHub or Bitbucket, to avoid using any of your products.

That stroke of genius considerably weakened my trust in Atlassian, I rarely comment on the internet but heck this caught me so off guard that I have to.

I'll try Clickup.com as mentioned by SteveFletcher52 (thanks by the way!), but I loved Trello and I still appreciate Bitbucket... for how long, I'm not sure.

Adieu Trello, adieu...

sebenvsys November 10, 2023

Well, its been well over a year now since this bone-headed decision was made.

I presume you haven't seen the up tick in Jira use that you were hoping for as a result of this, and have instead seen a wholesale migration away from either bitbucket (to github to use the still functioning power up) or away from trello altogether to use a competitors product, which actually still integrates with your own source control repos.

It's so nonsensical and still disrupts my work flow every single day.

Please, PLEASE @Katarína Lukácsy I am begging you, reconsider this madness that does nothing except alienate and infuriate your (previously quite happy) users.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events