Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new way to filter Trello cards (+ saying goodbye to the Card Aging Power-Up)

115 comments

Matt Parks June 1, 2023

@Michael Heikka There is NOT another power up that can replicate the functionality of Card Aging. I have been through every remotely similar power up available and nothing even comes close. This seems like a cheap way to skirt around the fact that card aging doesn't work well with dark mode. All I can say about that is that any company who values the aesthetics of their product over its functionality is not one I care to do business with. 

PLEASE consider reverting this change or at the absolute minimum, adding additional filter levels to the new feature you are "replacing" Card Aging with. By the time a card has gone untouched for four weeks in our team's workflow it's already too late.

Like # people like this
Pat Flo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 1, 2023

Filtering and card aging are not the same thing. Why would you get rid of a feature that is so useful for so many people?! 

Like # people like this
Ryan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 1, 2023

Just want to add to the sense of dissapointment in Atlassian for making this decision. Card aging is a visual aid that makes Trello fun and engaging to use.

If anything you should be giving the card aging more colour/theme options! Saying there are third party options is just lame, as it means I have to open my trello boards to potential threats. Taking precious time studying the 3rd party to make sure they are legit.

Card filters, however good, are the slower, boring solution. The filtered out cards also provide context around inactive cards.

Like # people like this
Jim
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 1, 2023

Glad some kind of filtering based on last updated is finally being added as a core feature, but this implementation seems really lacking. Plus, it doesn't replicate what Card Aging did, in fact it has almost the exact opposite functionality, so it not a suitable replacement at all.

The date options for the filters seem entirely arbitrary, every board and team works differently, so not being able to choose dates to filter by seems a missed opportunity. 

And I'd like to be able to see cards that haven't been updated, so I can make sure I check in on them. This new filter just progressively hides cards which haven't been looked at in a while.

Needs some more thinking, I think.

Like # people like this
Adjuva Legal LPO
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 1, 2023

Please bring Card Aging Power-Up back or at least give us the same features which this power-up gave. Also, please take a VOTE before 'sunsetting' any famous/useful/practical power-ups in the future.

Like # people like this
Jake Scott-Hodes June 1, 2023

Visual learners take a big hit with this news.

Slowing the process down and removing that helpful, visual aid is damning to our efficiency when it comes to identifying progress across boards.

The new filter looks like a useful feature, but a different one that does not adequately replace the convenient, easy-to-understand, reliable nature of the Card Aging powerup.

Please do not sunset this powerup. Keep the filters, sure, but please do not condemn us visual learners to a workflow that, frankly, is incongruent with the ethos of a kanban board.

Like # people like this
Kinley Morgan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 1, 2023

@Atlassian Team 

This is not the same thing.

People don't leave their boards on filter.

Card Aging is a great way to identify items that need to be archived, moved along, or flagged. It's a simple and effective method that should still be available.

Our team recently discovered it, and it has significantly improved our motivation and kept our project managers informed. The power of Card Aging lies in its ability to provide a quick glance system.

We stand with our pirate/card-aging friends in the hope that a solution can be provided.

If users come to Trello specifically for this feature, then it's worthwhile for you to continue offering it. Please consider making both options available to users!

Like # people like this
Roberto C
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 1, 2023

Noooo it was useful for me! and gave me an indication of what I need to clean up/pay attention to on my board when I get time.
Sad to see it go :(

Like # people like this
Mariquel Pinky
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 1, 2023

Please do NOT remove this feature! 😢 🙏🏻 

Like # people like this
David Mundy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 1, 2023

@Atlassian Team 
My team's entire workflow is in Trello displayed on a TV. Card aging allows ignored cards to "call out for attention" when we are all very busy. You can spot what has been ignored at a glance. It's passive, it's simple and it works.

Make both options available! Don't take away my pirate cards, I'll have a mutiny on my hands.

Without this feature, things will sit lost in the queues of cards. Without it, I'll have to review the use of Trello for this purpose and look for another solution. it's a deal breaker.

Like # people like this
Noël Edelin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

Même chose que la plupart des commentaires, nous utilisons énormément cette fonctionnalité pour le côté visuel, c'est super sympa de rajouter un filtre pour toujours plus de praticité, mais pourquoi retirer cette fonction ? Quel intérêt ? Pourquoi ne pas laisser les deux en parallèle ? 

Like # people like this
Wolf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

Привет!

это очень плохо что вы удаляете такую удобную функцию, для меня она очень важна.
Хотите внести улучшения, пожалуйста, но не убирайте те функции которыми мы пользуемся.
Надеюсь на ваше понимание.

Ricardo D June 2, 2023

I am writing to express my deep concern regarding the recent decision to remove the Power-Up feature, specifically Card Aging, from Trello. As a long-time user of the platform, I have found this particular feature to be incredibly valuable in enhancing my workflow and boosting productivity.

Card Aging has been an essential component of my Trello experience, providing visual cues that help me prioritize and manage my tasks effectively. Its ability to gradually fade cards based on their age has proven instrumental in keeping me aware of pending tasks and ensuring that nothing gets overlooked. The feature's simplicity and its visual representation of time passing have been incredibly useful in my day-to-day project management.

The removal of Card Aging not only disrupts my established workflow but also diminishes the overall functionality and flexibility of Trello as a task management tool. By removing this feature, you are essentially eliminating an intuitive way to gauge the urgency and importance of tasks at a glance, which could potentially lead to a decline in productivity for many users like myself.

While I understand that software updates often involve difficult decisions regarding the inclusion or removal of certain features, I would like to request a reconsideration of the decision to remove Card Aging. Perhaps there could be an alternative solution that addresses any underlying issues or concerns without entirely eliminating a feature that has become an integral part of many users' Trello experience.

In the spirit of constructive feedback, I would like to propose a potential compromise. Instead of removing Card Aging entirely, could there be an option to toggle the feature on or off? This would provide users with the freedom to choose whether they wish to utilize Card Aging based on their individual preferences and needs. Such a solution would allow for greater customization and personalization within Trello, catering to a wider range of user preferences.

I genuinely value the work your team does in continuously improving and refining the Trello platform. Trello has played a significant role in optimizing my workflow and increasing my productivity, and I believe that by reconsidering the removal of Card Aging, you can ensure that it remains a versatile and indispensable tool for users worldwide.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my concerns. I look forward to seeing how Trello evolves and thrives in the future while keeping the needs and preferences of its dedicated user base in mind.

Like # people like this
Pat Irving
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

Card Aging is a really useful tool that doesn't appear to be recreated the same way with the new filtering process. Disappointed in Atlassian for this shortsighted change.

Like # people like this
Antonio Cañabate Jiménez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

Totalmente de acuerdo con la inmensa mayoria. Creo que es un error retirar esta funcionalidad, ya que como es evidente, es muy útil para una gran cantidad de personas.

Like # people like this
Carlo FONSECA
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

I totally agree with the comments of all users here:

Please do not remove the card aging power-up !

Removing this feature would be like taking the tools out of our hands while we are working with. This breaks our workflow/work habits.  Even if the appearance of the aged cards is ugly, it is an effective and useful indicator.

Like # people like this
Rodrigo Chiong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

This trend of "let's replace something that works with something that looks better" is awful. The label system got replaced only for a style change, yet the new interface doesn't allow for keyboard search and selection of labels without using a mouse or using TAB multiple times. No new functionality, no improved performance, just "better looking" labels with no feature parity with the previous version.

This new filter rests on the same core idea: let's change how Trello cards look to support dark mode, and since this change breaks Card Aging, let's just sunset it. Having dark mode doesn't make Trello any more accesible, only "better looking" depending on your preferences.

While filters are useful on their own, they're not a replacement for the Card Aging power-up. With Card Aging you can see at a glance which cards have recent activity, which ones haven't had activity in a while, and which ones have been completely forgotten. To see the same info you now need to cycle between at least 3 different filters, using the mouse and several clicks in the process. For anyone keeping track of this on many different boards this a hassle that Card Aging solved quite elegantly.

And then there's Pirate Mode which is also going away. A reminder of a lighter and more focused Trello that was also fun and light-hearted...

Like # people like this
M_ Leigh Hurda
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

I agree with the overwhelming disappointment being expressed about sunsetting Card Aging. Why is Atlassian getting rid of a Power-Up that is extremely useful and helpful to so many Trello users in various situations and settings. As a visually-oriented, neurodivergent person, this Power-Up has been an absolute blessing in my personal life. Seeing that a card has aged draws my attention to it quickly and brings the task back into my awareness. These filters won't have that effect for me.

It's also one of the features that helped me convince my business partner to choose Trello over other, more popular digital task management/kanban apps (no-code automations, and advanced checklists being the others). Our employees also prefer the at-a-glance aspect of Card Aging, since it helps them determine which work needs attention sooner rather than later.

Should Atlassian follow through with sunsetting Card Aging, I and my business partner may be compelled to look for something else.

Like # people like this
Paul Bransford June 2, 2023

I am not a fan of the deprecation of the card-aging powerup.

We use "pirate mode" specifically because it makes it extremely easy at a glance to see what's getting stale, without having to touch filters or anything else.

Please do not remove this!

Like # people like this
Will Hise
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

Not thrilled about this but I have a different issue. I can't seem to remove the Card Aging power up. I've tried from web and Mac thick client. Delete button seems to do nothing and does not return errors. The Power up never goes away. 

Filip Kesler
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

WHY????!!!!

why do you guys feel the need to replace perfectly useful functionality that does not require any action (card aging) with a different functionality that require multiple clicks (filtering)?!  

please reconsider and leave the aging as is.  if you want to ADD a new functionality, by all means, but do not REMOVE things that are useful to so many in your community.

this is just another example of Trello forcing "butterfly keyboards" on its users.  keep it up and we'll all be looking for a "tiktok" to switch to...

is anyone over there paying attention to what your site says (emphasis mine)?

https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/submitting-feature-requests-for-trello/

We want to be careful to add the right features to Trello so that it remains a product that you love. This Trello blog article gives even more detail about we act on your requests: https://blog.trello.com/feature-requests-unite-support-and-product

@Ellie Kulick 

@Michael Heikka 

Like # people like this
Taryn Sage Copeland June 2, 2023

So when did staff in Atlassian HQ send out a message to any of the users to talk about this? I kinda sorta need card aging so I can look at the whole board and know which jobs I need to pick up the pace on. Filtering can do that, sure, but it's also actual seconds that my store can't afford to spend during the summer. We do a lot of critical fishing boat work, and being a couple seconds too late to fix something can easily mean $100,000 gone in one go...

Like Krissy Lee likes this
seltzered
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

I think the problem with removing card aging (and why so many including myself are voicing their complaints in the comments) is that it is a 'no mode' style power-up compared to card filtering.

The user doesn't have to think about any additional clicks and as many mentioned it's more 'glanceable'.

The design tradeoff of course is that visually there's a low-contrast issue with the 'aged' cards, but that could probably be solved in a different way rather than removing the feature altogether and recommending filters.

Like Krissy Lee likes this
Taryn Sage Copeland June 2, 2023

@seltzered I find that low contrast issue super useful, actually! when something is behind schedule, i see it and go "there's a gap there. why?" and then I have an "oh no" moment.

Like # people like this
seltzered
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 2, 2023

@Taryn Sage CopelandI actually like the low contrast too, just mentioning awareness of it trying to hold a perspective around 'accessibility' issues.

Like Kelly Reaves likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events