Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new way to attach links to Trello cards

Hey there!

We have some exciting updates to the attachment experience on card backs to share with you. We know attachments help bring context to your Trello boards and cards, so we hope you like this streamlined experience.

What’s new:

• You can now search and attach relevant content from your other Atlassian tools like Confluence, Jira, and of course Trello right from the attachment modal. One less tab, and all the context at your fingertips.

• We’ve simplified the third party attachments from specific tool integrations to simple links. Just grab any link from any external source like Google Drive, Dropbox, Figma, Miro, and more to attach it to your Trello card — it’s that easy!

cropped video.gif

Here are the step-by-step instructions:

1. Click on any card to open it

2. Click the "Attachment" button located on the right side of the card

3. To add Atlassian links (Trello, Confluence, Jira): select from the recent items displayed or type in relevant keywords in the “Search or paste a link” box to search

4. For other links: copy and paste the links from anywhere including Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and more.
    (Note: Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive integrations are still available via Trello Power-ups)

Please note that you’ll only see tabs corresponding to Atlassian tools you or your organization have access to. To search, click on the product you’d like to search (Trello, Confluence, or Jira) and type keywords to find what you’re looking for.

We are gradually rolling out these changes over the coming weeks so you may not see these changes reflected immediately. Please stay tuned, and let us know what you think in the comments!

32 comments

Orange_mandarin July 6, 2023

Hi! I have to attach many files from Google Drive and such a new method makes it more difficult (( Is it possible to switch to old style when Google Drive etc... is clickable from the list of all file sources?

Like # people like this
Sal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2023

Hey @Orange_mandarin! Could you please elaborate a bit more on your question and feedback? If you can share some screenshots, that would be excellent! 

Orange_mandarin July 10, 2023

Yes, @Sal . I attach two photos: "before" and "after". We would like to switch to "before" (the first one). What account settings should we change? 

before.jpgafter.jpeg

Sal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2023

I understand what you're saying! Unfortunately, at the moment, it's not possible to go back to the previous method of attaching files to your Trello cards, as we're already introducing a new way of uploading attachments to users gradually. However, you can still use the "Search or paste a link" field to paste any link you'd like, including those from Google Drive. The only difference now is that instead of selecting the file directly from your drive within Trello, you'll need to copy and paste the link of your file (or folder) onto your card. If you have any further thoughts or feedback about the new attachment picker, please don't hesitate to share, and I'll be more than happy to pass it along to our team!

Like Orange_mandarin likes this
Abby R July 10, 2023

This new version cuts off the title of the trello cards if they're longer than that one little line of text. This is a huge detriment to our work flow as our cards have very long titles, mostly the same information first (order number, customer name, project name) and then the distinguishing card titles are at the end. I hope you'll go back to a version where the whole card title is visible, or at least show the whole title if you hover over each card listed with the mouse? But at the moment the only way for us to distinguish which card we are attaching is by the "time since viewing" part, which isn't helpful if we've viewed more than one card within a minute of each other... Please address this as not everyone using trello can keep the card names short! Thank you!

Sal
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2023

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful insights and feedback with us, @Abby R. I've already passed your feedback to our team, and I'll work closely with them to ensure your feedback is heard. 

Orange_mandarin July 10, 2023

@Sal , thank you very much for your fast and detailed answer! It's a pity that it's impossibile to switch to the old method of attaching files from Google Drive etc... 

Sal
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2023

Hey @Orange_mandarin! Alternatively, you could use the Google Drive Power-Up, connect your Google account, and attach all your Google Drive files to your cards. Try it out! I hope that also helps. 

Dieter Declerck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 11, 2023

We link from the Trello cards to files on a shared hard drive on a secure server environment.
Because these files don't have a traditional URL name starting with www. or https/, the link is not accepted.
This undermines our entire Trello setup.
Does anyone have a solution for this? Thank you in advance!

Steve Caira July 11, 2023

Wanted to voice concern at losing the Drive file picker. IMO It is a step back to have to go to second window to copy a link. It will be especially tricky for less technical users. The integration made things very simple.

Also, the Google Drive power-up is still broken for Firefox users so is unusable as an alternative for them.

Like Abby R likes this
Sal
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2023

Hey @Dieter Declerck! Thanks for sharing your feedback about the links. I made a few tests using a few https links (I haven't tested with shared folders), and all seem to work as expected. If you're experiencing problems with any specific link that's not being recognized with the new attachment picker, please open a ticket with us at https://trello.com/contact. We'll be more than happy to troubleshoot it with you. 

Like Dieter Declerck likes this
Sal
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2023

Hey @Steve Caira! I don't think I have understood you correctly. Are you referring to the option "Choose a file" to add files from your device? Or are you referring to something else on the new attachment system? If you can send us a screenshot showing which part you're referring to, it'd be terrific! Thanks for sharing your opinions and thoughts and helping us improve Trello. 

Also, as far as I know, the Google Drive Power-Up is still working on Firefox, and we haven't received any complaints so far about issues with it. However, if you're experiencing problems with the Power-Up on Firefox, please raise a ticket with us at https://trello.com/contact. We'll be more than happy to troubleshoot it with you.

@SalAs a Firefox user, I have two ways of adding a Google Drive file. Only one of which is functional.

1. The 'new' way, by clicking Attachment and pasting in the Google Drive link. This works but requires a second window to be open to copy the link from. No multi-select just single cut and paste from one window to another. A big step back IMO.

2023-07-11 15_23_18-Clipboard.png

2. The other way is to use the Google Drive Power-Up. Unfortunately in Firefox, clicking 'Attach a File' or 'Attach a Folder' brings up a blank window. I previously raised a a ticket for this (TRELLO-144751) and was told no ETA for a fix.

2023-07-11 15_23_18-Clipboard2.png

This makes the power-up essentially useless for Firefox users.

Like John Shupe likes this
Sal
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2023

I see what you meant! Have you tried allowing cross-site cookies/third-party cookies on Firefox? Perhaps Firefox is blocking them on your end, resulting in the blank screen you see. I'd recommend adjusting the cookie settings on Firefox to avoid blocking any cookies since Firefox has this option by default: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/third-party-cookies-firefox-tracking-protection.

The Google Drive Power-Up would be the best option in your case that needs to link multiple Google Drive links simultaneously to your card. In the meantime, I could recommend you switch your browser to Chrome, MS Edge, or Safari if the suggestion above doesn't work, or you could contact us again, and we can check what else we can try to help you fix it. 

Thanks for that! Enabling third-party cookies for trello.com allows the Google Drive Power-up to work.

If that works then I don't really have a problem with the change. Thanks for your help.

FYI (and anyone else having this issue) In Firefox, click the shield near the address and turn off Enhanced Tracking Protection.

Mozilla Firefox.png

Sal
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2023

Hey @Abby R! I wanted to share some good news! The team released a new fix for the issue you reported, and the best part is that we released it today! Thanks for sharing your feedback, and send it our way if you have additional feedback about the new attachment system. We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on improving the Trello experience for our users. 

Like # people like this
Dieter Declerck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 11, 2023

Hi @Sal ,
Thanks for your reply. I'll provide some examples of links I'm having problems with via the support link you send me.

Kind regards,
Dieter

Like Sal likes this
Abby R July 12, 2023

@Sal Wow, I really appreciate how quickly you and the team responded and were able to help us with the issue we were having! Being able to see the whole card title while hovering over with the mouse is a great solution. Thank you so much!!

Like # people like this
Cam Donald July 16, 2023

Honestly the worst thing you could of done Trello developers. Makes Monday.com more promising to be honest and unless we are told better development of this is coming I'm afraid that's where we will be going. This new attachment service copy and paste dribble is going backwards? Takes a round wheel and makes it square. And by reading the above I'm not the only one feeling this. 

I need to ask what the developers were thinking making it harder to upload attachments? Copying and pasting links, you need to understand, is not making it easier. In a developers head I can understand the "simplicity" of copying and pasting, however I believe you having been looking at this from a customers point of view. Makes no sense. What you had was perfect...

Cam Donald July 16, 2023

And if we completely switch our service to google drive, how long before we are told that this is being removed as well?

Cody McConnell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 17, 2023

terrible addition in my opinion as well. Definitely a step back. wish we could toggle the old one back.

Really disrupts my workflow.

ciduong
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 26, 2023

My team recently converted from free to an Enterprise account and my smart links from Jira stopped working and I no longer get a dynamic card-front :( any idea why this stopped working?  The only option I have now is to convert to a regular card from here. 

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 9.46.33 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-26 at 9.46.46 AM.png

Belinda Welland August 6, 2023

Does this new system include the ability to attach a Trello card in the 'comment' area? Have I missed it? Or is it truly not there anymore?

Sajid Ali August 10, 2023

Hey everyone,

Just got an update on Trello's attachment experience, and it's looking pretty cool! They've made it easier to add links and attachments to cards, which is great for keeping all the context in one place.

Now, you can attach stuff from other Atlassian tools like Confluence and Jira right from the attachment modal, which means less hassle and more productivity. And if you're into third-party attachments, they've simplified it to just adding links from sources like Google Drive, Dropbox, Figma, and more. Super convenient!

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this out and making my Trello boards even more organized. Give it a go and let me know what you think in the comments!

Happy collaborating!

Update
"Heads up, team! Trello's revamped their attachment experience—linking to Confluence, Jira, and other platforms is now a breeze. Excited to keep our boards even tidier!

Cam Donald August 10, 2023

Clearly new here. That method is what everyone is dissatisfied with…. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events