"Certification is not the aim, its the product of learning sometimes"

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 19, 2019

I saw this comment today on Linked In and wanted to share it with you all.

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 10.03.13 AM.png

What are your reasons for sitting a professional certification? Some of my motivations in the past have been:

• to tick a box because my employer wanted it or I thought it would look good on my resume
  • to have external validation of the practical knowledge I have and actively use
  • to help validate my learning
  • a gamification "gotta catch em all" feeling

What motivations have you had or do you have right now?

4 comments

Comment

John Fetzik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2019

I am thinking about getting a cert or two for a few reasons.

First, for a bit of self-validation.

Second, as a way to "prove" I know what I am talking about when others question my knowledge.

Third, to make it potentially easier to get a new job if the need comes up. In my case most likely scenario is needing to move because my spouse gets a different job.

Like # people like this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 19, 2019

All the best for your studies. The announcements form the Atlassian University team this month are timely for you. There are now more free resources for revision and study and we cannot forget the reduced costs!

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2019

Validate and show my knowledge. 

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

My knowledge across the board is pretty limited due to low usage... (small division, low volume of projects) so I really want to "help STIMULATE my learning"
The certs are a great way to help ensure I learn more, even if it might not always be relevant!

And then badges will help keep it current. YES!

Great Bambino January 15, 2020

Certifications for my career would obviously fit into the first one so that I have a checkbox marked off for my resume but the real realistic motivator would be that I need to learn the aspects outside of my current company to be proficient in the program(Salesforce) I use. 

During my time in tech there are IT products and software that fit into two general categories:

1. Products/software that is consistent across the board. There is very little that the company can custom build using it. Get your certification and apply it anywhere they use it. 
  2. Products/software that is meant to be built upon, and all of that custom content takes time to learn way beyond what certifications teach. Certifications teach the basics but custom content can take ages to learn depending on how complex a company is.
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events