How did you learn to use Jira (Jira Software or Jira Service Desk)?

Gary Barg
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2018

We each have our story to tell about how we learned to use Jira Software or Jira Service Desk. I'm Gary, from Atlassian University. Your stories will help others and, will help us in University better understand how we can help you in your journey to Jira proficiency. Thanks for taking some time to share.

5 comments

Comment

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2018

Hi,

I'm very new to Atlassian (less than 6 months) and in order to learn how to use Jira Software, I found practicing the dev environment to be most helpful. I practiced doing different tasks as a Project Admin and as a Jira Admin in order to really understand the permissions and concepts. I'd like to see a transcript or closed captions added to the university courses. The university courses for ACP-600 are very helpful. Hopefully, the others can be revamped.  

Gary Barg
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2018

Thanks for your reply Mary. If you are taking the On Demand version of the classes, there is a transcript available via a tab in the player. Can you explain a bit more when you say you hope the others can be revamped?

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2018

Hi @Gary Barg,

On the player, I only see the help, resources, and exit buttons. Where would I be able to see the transcript? In terms of revamping, the study guide for the ACP 600 was much more descriptive. The course for the ACP 600 also was more detailed. I particularly liked seeing the walk-through and then being able to do it myself in Teams in Space. 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 24, 2018

I first worked with Jira in 2010 when working for a SaaS company that used it for bug tracking and development. I kept asking questions and for minor configuration changes until the Development Manager decided it was easier to grant me Admin permissions.

A few years later at another company I compared Jira to a few service desk systems in the hope of moving the organisation to use a single tool for service desk and development. I was unsuccessful as while it scored higher on meeting our requirements list it was (at that stage) missing what we needed for direct customer support.

When job hunting earlier this year, like many times before, I used 'Jira' and 'Confluence' and keywords. I was very happy to find a role with an Atlassian Solution Partner.

In the process of getting accredited it is easy to see the improvements that have been made along the way - mainly because the older courses do not seem to be updated very often.

I find the study suggestions are biased towards those that come to Jira Administration from a technical background. Being told to set up my own instance of Jira Server is not encouraging. 

Angel P September 25, 2018

Hello Gary,

I've been tasked to look at Jira Service Desk, and it my 1st day learning what Jira is all about.

Have also seen the Jira in action youtube video, and ready to look into using the trial.

Like to ask why the trial period is only for 7-days?

This doesn't give me much time to use it as an incident management tool and get other technicians on board to use it.

By time I do its too late and we missed the trial.

Other helpdesk products used in past have managed to get trials for 30days, so its a bit disappointing Jira has such a short trial.

Gary Barg
Atlassian Team
September 25, 2018

Thanks for responding Angel. I relayed your feedback to the Service Desk team.

Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2018

I've been using Jira and Confluence for a few years, learned mostly by doing, but the University tutorials are also great! I recently took the ACP-600 prep course, which was very useful, practicing the labs in a Dev environment and passed my first go 'round due to the in depth lectures and comprehensive guides included in the prep course. I am currently prepping for the ACP-400 and have found the certification course to be completely different than the ACP-600 in terms of format. There aren't many lecture sections of the prep course that actually teach you what is to come in the exam (that would logically lead to you doing well on the exam prep questions, for example). I am fairly new to JSD and have some gaps in the very backend Jira Admin type tasks so I was left scratching my head at a lot of the exam topics/questions in the prep material. It would help if there were some tutorials and lecture section on all of the exam topics of the ACP-400 (how to guides) so that we could more easily prepare.  After the prep course, my opinion is that someone should do very well on the practice questions. The exam topics should not just be examined, they should be taught. Revamping the ACP-400 exam is my suggestion, using a lot of the other training modules and course prep courses as an model. : )

Julia
Atlassian Team
September 25, 2018

Hi Amanda, thank you for your feedback -- the Cert Prep courses are designed to help focus and guide your preparation once you already have a solid foundation and experience across the entire skillset, so we intentionally don't teach.      

Gary Barg
Atlassian Team
September 25, 2018

Hi Amanda. First, I'll loop-in our Certification head regarding your comments. In the context of Service Desk administration training, please check out this training path - you can take these classes as On Demand, on your own schedule. They will definitely help you as you prepare for the ACP-400 exam.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events