Atlassian University Live webinar: Power Up with Jira Automation

Ben Thoma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2021

CORP-3-Atlassian-University-Live-Webinars-Zoom-Banner-1280x400-v2.png

As part of an ongoing series, Atlassian University offered this free webinar to strengthen your Atlassian product skills and learn directly from Atlassian experts.

In this webinar, we started to understand how Jira Automation can easily replace and extend complex workflow configurations.

Together we:

• Explored typical use cases

• Configured three complex rules

• Learned best practices and troubleshooting tips

This webinar was intended for Jira Cloud Project Administrators and Jira Cloud Administrators.

Watch the webinar on-demand and use the comments below to ask more questions related to this topic.

Want to go deeper on this topic? Enjoy 10% off our hands-on training course when you enroll using the coupon code powerup.

Power Up with Jira Automation - Zoom Banner.png

22 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

This is great @Ben Thoma!

I will absolutely be there!

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Thanks @Ben Thoma for sharing this! I was looking for such an opportunity to learn more about Jira automation.

Like # people like this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Many thanks @Ben Thoma  for sharing.

Done !!

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

Anything that can be done through workflows I am for it! Thank you guys!

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

This is great, thank you.

Like # people like this
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

This is fantastic! I have been helping many with these tools at my organization!

Like # people like this
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

Great, always here to learn more

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2021

Just signed up!  Automation is one of my favorite tools

Like # people like this
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 11, 2021

Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna be there.

Like Joanna Thurmann likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2021

Hi @Ben Thoma ,

That's Great!

I will be there! Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
Prashant Sangappa Shivashimpi January 13, 2021

Dear @Ben Thoma ,

Wonderful..! This really a great opportunity for us to learn new features and possibilities in New Year we can do with the Great Tool JIRA and it's Automation.. I would say let's Jiramation.. :)

Thanks a lot for sharing this.. I have registered.. :)

BR,

Prashant.

Like # people like this
Eva Kasiak January 18, 2021

super looking forward to interesting learning tomorrow! :)

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2021

Hi @Ben Thoma thank you for the post. Looking forward to attend the session.

Like # people like this
Michael Aglas January 19, 2021

We, as sys. admins, kind of like to provide template rules in the global area. Like using webhooks from git or so. As sys. admin we don't like to configure the same rule again and again for another repo. So the project can basically take and adapt it according to their repo. They know their repo best, so we would like to enable them doing it on their own. BUT:

A project admin that has no sys admin privileges is able to see the list from global rules and has the possibility to choose the option 'copy' from there, but the user will be directed to create a new rule for project starting with an empty rule.

Can it be done? Do we need to change a configuration here? We don't want project admins to edit in the global area... Export cannot be used here by them.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2021

Thanks to everyone involved with this today. Lots of good information and thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2021

Thanks for this useful and informative webinar on Jira Automation. I look forward to the updates regarding its recording so that I can review it.

Like # people like this
Eva Kasiak January 20, 2021

As I'm working with Scrum Teams the automation rules I saw yesterday on the demo are super useful on the level of development teams, product owners and scrum masters too. 

Items such as:

• closing all epics,
  • moving master issue when all sub-tasks are completed
  • auto create sub-tasks
  • validate before closing

are super handy for removing manual efforts and keeping the information flow clearly through the system. These can really simplify the human cognition and help to reduce cognitive load. Often as a Retrospective action is "we need to remember to make/click/update issues" . This is where the cognitive load becomes bigger for people and this is where we humans tend to miss the things - because simply there's too much to remember. 

As for the PO's I find the one about the one example presented cool for the PO's which is to automatically send email to PO once the Sprint is done where we pass the info about Sprint Story Points. Along with smart values there's even better option to customise such information related to Sprint outcomes and data. 

Off course these could be done earlier with workflows however the effort to create was much higher. So I am looking forward to use these simple configurations to continue automating the processes. 

Like # people like this
felix.weber January 20, 2021

Hi there,

thanks for the webinar - and the short night for Sam ;) 

I am looking for more Regex examples within Jira automation 

I have found some very basic in the e.g. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automation-conditions/#Automationconditions-Advancedcomparecondition and meanwhile I also see some more examples in the automation libary or the automation template libary (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/labels/all/customLabelId/1453) 

usually I end at the Oracle / Java documentation (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/regex/Pattern.html) which feels sometimes hard to read and e.g. when I was checking how to make a regex case-insensitive it took me a while to figure out how to write the regex correctly (many thanks to the community here!) or at the community

Maybe there is already a documentation I have overseen or has just recently released

cheers

Felix

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2021

@felix.weber Thanks for the comment. You have found the documentation I would have sent :-). 

Like felix.weber likes this
Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
January 26, 2021

@felix.weber Hi Felix,

We don't host too much information about regex ourselves, as we defer to the broader internet community for documentation and information about regular expressions (such as the oracle documentation you mentioned above). I definitely agree, the documentation can be hard to read, and impractical to follow.

I personally use tools such as regexr to help me build and debug my regular expressions, in combination with reading the docs (or using quick references like a cheat sheet). I find it much easier to visualise and see what each part of the regex is doing by building it this way.

I hope you find these resources helpful

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
February 16, 2021

Jira automation is the bomb!! Fabulous new feature.

Like # people like this
Gabrielle G May 11, 2021

Hey everyone welcome to the club!!

Like # people like this
Afia Khan May 31, 2021

Hi, I tried both links for webinar in this article and get the following message: 

Meeting 97210032129 is not found or has expired. (3,001)

can you please confirm if this is still available to watch? @Ben Thoma 

Ben Thoma
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2021

@Afia Khan I believe that the Zoom may be retiring our webinars earlier than expected. Lucky for you, I've been working on announcing that we'll be hosting this one again this month! You can be the first to register here.

Bhanu Pratap Singh June 12, 2021

This is awesome , Thank You...

Like Ben Thoma likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events