Anyone Else Studying for ACP 600??

Dominique Spriggs April 22, 2019

I am preparing to retake the ACP 600 Exam. Anyone else studying for an exam coming up?

Any existing study groups out there?

7 comments

Comment

Sabrina Glawion April 24, 2019

Hi Dominique,

same as me. But I don`t know anyone else. Maybe we can swap places.

Best regards, 

Like Dominique Spriggs likes this
Danny Flynn April 24, 2019

I am working on the ACP - 600 right now too!  You say that you are retaking it...any download on what the test is like?  I am not sure what to expect. 

Dominique Spriggs April 25, 2019

@Danny Flynn - I can say it was harder than expected. The questions are mostly situational so it is important to know the minor differences between similar concepts and definitions. Permissions/Role and Workflows/Screens/Notifications count for the largest majority of the exam so it is best to know those very thoroughly. 

Also, I can confirm what @Tomáš Vrabec said! Those are key concepts to master because the questions require you to apply those principles and definitions into specific scenarios. 

The question format is multiple choice, like the sample questions, and many answer choices will be similar and the difference between the right and wrong answer will come down to a tiny detail mentioned - so read very carefully. 

Best of luck on your exam! 

Like # people like this
Danny Flynn April 26, 2019

Thank you!  ...and thanks for starting this discussion.  The information that has been shared will really help focus my prep.  I have worked with JIRA for years, and I have went through the training they offer for 600, but you never know how to fully process it, or where to focus. 

I am now going to go back through it with the comments in this thread as my study outline! 

Thank again, and best of luck with your re-take!  

Regards, 

Danny

Tomáš Vrabec April 25, 2019

Hi there!

I am an Solution Architect and having ACP-600 as one of my certifications. 

Is there anything specific, you would like to ask about?

As I worked as scrum master for two years w/ Jira Software the certification was no problem at all for me. Well in fact, I do not learn for it all, but - the exam itself is not so easy as it maybe looks. 

Be focused on Extended Project Admin, differences, what can Project Admin with extended permission is able to do, like in detail.

Also, see Cloud options. 

Cheers, Tom

Like # people like this
Danny Flynn April 25, 2019

Very helpful! Thank you! 

@Tomáš Vrabec Thank you for your insight!

RE: "Be focused on Extended Project Admin, differences, what can Project Admin with extended permission is able to do, like in detail."

- Any tips on how to best study these and master them? I know it pretty much comes down to memorization but just wondering if you have any suggestions here. 

Thank you!

Like Danny Flynn likes this
Tomáš Vrabec April 26, 2019

@Dominique Spriggs  well I had multiple test / dev instances, so my suggestion is to:

• Create user and give him only project admin
  • Create user and give him extended project admin
  • Create user / use your system admin
  • Make a chart and write down differences what you can and what you cannot. 

This is the best way to get those into your mind. Also, be careful, there are many differences about what you can / cannot do with configuration depending on usage of particular configuration. If its shared with more project, there are less stuff you can do then if its not shared. Those diffs are also part of exam.

Another point what I just realized is JQL. Take a changelog of last 12 month and go thru new JQLs. A was wondered about some queries I had no idea that they even exist :-D (Added with fresh versions)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

I took the Jira Project Admin course that includes the certification voucher when I was at the Summit this year.  Everything the instructor said lines up with what @Tomáš Vrabec  has already stated.

I'm looking to schedule taking the exam late next week.  Where I had issues and I'd recommend others do extra study on is JQL syntax.  I've been told the exam is all multiple choice and you need to look at the JQL syntax very carefully as there is always something in the wrong answers that will give it away but you need to have alot memorized to recognize it,

Like # people like this
Danny Flynn April 25, 2019

Thanks for the direction!  Good luck on your exam! 

@Jimmy Seddon Thanks for sharing! Yes, you are correct about the JQL syntax but one note of positivity - there are only maybe 6-8 questions on this topic. So if you don't master them, they won't affect your overall score as much. 

Best of luck on the exam!

Vygandas Skrodenis April 26, 2019

Hi, recently got ACP-600 in second try. My suggestion would be, do not spend much time with JQL as questions differs in complexity, would recommend learning to identify which query is invalid/incorrect syntax in my experience knowing operators is great start. And do not forget reports + dashboards with JQL filters. 

good luck in exam ! 

Cheers

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2019

I just wrote (and passed) the exam this morning, I thought I shre one other thing I found while preparing this week that really helped me in answering some quiestions about the exam:

https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/the-top-secrets-to-success-for-project-administration-in-jira-server

Good Luck to anyone else studying for the exam!

-James

Like # people like this
Dominique Spriggs May 3, 2019

@Jimmy Seddon Congratulations! Thanks for sharing also - I'll have to watch this one before testing. 

Cat Schwartz June 15, 2019

@Jimmy Seddon , I missed the exam on my first try.  Not sure WHAT I didn't get, it was harder than anticipated.  My lowest area was Reports, Dashboards and JQL. What do you recommend to study?

My 2nd weakest was Fields, Screens and Notifications, mostly I think, I second guessed myself and changed answers. I should have let them be!

Any study tips are welcome. I was so deflated when I didn't pass. I have alot of experience in JIRA but the test was HARD.

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2019

Hi @Cat Schwartz,

I'm really sorry to hear you didn't pass :(

My best recommendations are:

Download the exam topics from the certification page: https://www.atlassian.com/university/certification/certifications/exam-acp-600

Everything listed in there is covered on the exam.

Check out this webinar it's a great review:

https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/the-top-secrets-to-success-for-project-administration-in-jira-server

Be sure to go over the documentation of the areas you had troubles with, and remember that when you are selecting your answers, don't look for the right answer look for everything that is wrong with a given answer to rule it out as the correct answer.

By that I means the study guides will tell you that there is always "something" incorrect about each wrong answer, so if you are having troubles finding something wrong, carefully re-read the question to see if there is additional context provided that makes an answer incorrect.

I hope that helps and good luck on your next attempt!

-James

Cat Schwartz June 17, 2019

@Jimmy Seddon  Thank you for the kind words of encouragement! Appreciate it!

Valeriy Tishkin December 19, 2019

Hi Team! 

Is it possible to use dictionary during the ACP-600?  We were allowed to use dictionary during the offline exam ACP-100 but there is no information about using dictionary during the online ACP-600. 

Alka Sahay August 10, 2020

Anybody preparing at this time. How much time is needed to complete the training before you think you are ready. Right now the sample score I got was 13 out of 50 :( mainly the JQL and Dashboard being the problem areas

Tomáš Vrabec August 10, 2020

Well I did not prepare at all. Worked as scrum master with Jira for 2+ years and learned everything needed. Generally I can suggest to go thru most of the business usecases from the point of poweruser view. 

Like Alka Sahay likes this

Thank you that really helped me think positive :). Any collection/link for some sample  business use cases.

Tomáš Vrabec August 10, 2020

Its a long time sice I moved from Scrum Master role, but I would suggest you to run a test project in Jira and try to "emulate" a common 1 or 2 or 3 sprints. With everything. Grooming, Planning, Estimation, Retrospective, Documentation, Statistics, predictions, reports ... just it at max, it would be enough ;-) 

Cool thanks, wish me luck!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events