Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q from Atlassian: What's the value of training and certification to you?

Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2023

G'day, training & certification crew!

We're currently updating value propositions for Atlassian University. If you're not familiar, a value proposition is a simple statement that summarizes why a customer would choose your product or service.

A few examples:

Slack "saves time by tearing down communication and systems silos."

Fjällräven "crafts products for a lifetime of memories."

Airbnb: "Airbnb exists to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere, providing healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable.”

giphy-downsized

To add some customer voice and input to our work, we want to ask you:

What does Atlassian University (training, certification, or both) help you accomplish? How would you describe the value of Atlassian University training to a friend who might benefit from it?

What do you hope to get from your time and engagement with Atlassian University?

Thanks in advance for any and all input! 3, 2, 1 ......go! ⬇️

7 answers

7 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2023

Atlassian University empowers admins and users of Atlassian products with training and certifications that validate their skills and allow them to stand out in their current roles and a growing competitive marketplace.

Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2023

@Andy Gladstone you're the best for sharing, friend!

giphy-downsized

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2023

Atlassian University training and certification provides my management/leadership tangible goals for my career growth/direction.

It provides me with the core knowledge I require to operate at a high level within the Atlassian product suite, and it offers me personal growth opportunities.

It enables me to provide SME-level assistance to my teams and to others within my company, and those skills are consistent with others who are likewise trained/certified.

By having a common set of knowledge widely distributed to anyone seeking similar training/certification, I can more easily have intelligent conversations with others in like roles and provide assistance to others, knowing that we have/should have a common set of knowledge, base assumptions, etc.

It's a fundamental aspect of my role within my company.

Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2023

Thanks so much for sharing @Randy O_Neal !

giphy

Like # people like this
3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2023
  • Provides me with a certified understanding of the products
  • allows me to remain current with product evolution 
  • adds value to my resume 
Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2023

Thanks for weighing in, @Jack Brickey !

By certified understanding, am I correct in assuming you mean it's Atlassian's point of view on what you need to know about the products?

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2023

Yes precisely. If I am using a product that I need training on, then receiving it from the product developer should be on target.

Like # people like this
Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
July 6, 2023

Perfect @Jack Brickey thanks for clarifying — and for sharing!

giphy

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2023

Atlassian University Certifications provide clients with the assurance that the Jira Administrator has a certain level of knowledge and experience to perform most of the functions needed for specific products. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Clarke
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2023

Training
I find the courses on the Atlassian University easy to access and a great way to pick up the base skills and knowledge to ask deeper questions, and guide my learning.
If I don't know something related to the Atlassian toolchain, I'm confident that there will be a course, expert in the community, or documentation that can help me fill the gaps.

Certification
Atlassian certifications give me, my employer, and our customers confidence that I have sufficient understanding of the particular tools to be able to speak with authority when advising customers/staff or designing solutions.

The Atlassian certifications help to set a target for my personal development, and are a source of pride when I achieve them.

Atlassian Certification is (currently) a requirement for Atlassian Partnership accreditation for organisations, so it helps instill a sense of job/career security for me because I know there is a strong demand for certified individuals. 

Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
July 6, 2023

Ooh you even separated them out, @Mike Clarke ! You're the best, thank you.

giphy-downsized

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Lauren Allen July 5, 2023

With the Atlassian products being so highly configurable, training and certification provides you with the tools and knowledge to ensure you are making the most out of the tools for your organisation.  Not only does it teach how to use the products, but also provides guiderails and best practices for making the best decisions for your requirements. This knowledge is what makes a certification valuable in the marketplace, as you are not just learning one way, but how to assess which way will work best in any given situation. 

Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
July 6, 2023

Ack love this specificity Lauren! "This knowledge is what makes a certification valuable in the marketplace, as you are not just learning one way, but how to assess which way will work best in any given situation."

giphy

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
StephanieC July 5, 2023
  • Provides consistency in understanding by all in-house support staff for Atlassian products
  • Provides foundational knowledge of the systems for support team
  • Allows for transferrable skills that future employers can be confident in.
  • Enables a system for in-house permissions / performance management/ KPI/ stage gate structure (i.e. must complete "x" training to have admin rights, support "x" functionality, etc)
Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2023

Thank you, @StephanieC ! 

giphy-downsized

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events