Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning Resources for Technical Writing?

Josh Wright February 22, 2018

Does anyone have any good recommendations for becoming a better technical writer? 

I am looking around at other popular knowledge bases and blogs to try and figure out how to best structure technical documents and the kind of templates to use. 

I was hoping like many things in Technology, there would be a book, training course, video etc. to help me and our team become better at writing project documents, technical solutions, instructional documents etc. 

This is only related to IT to IT documentation and not comms to End Users. 

3 answers

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Chris Sanchez March 8, 2018

My recommendation would also be to look into HDI's KCS Courses and Training - they will help out a ton when it comes to formatting and what to include in Knowledge Articles and Technical Documentation.

0 votes
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 26, 2018

@Josh Wright I moved this into our Training & Certification interest group as you might get some additional good answers here!

0 votes
Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2018

I'm not a technical writer by education or job profile. My starting background is software developer with the need to move information from the "developing layer" to other stakeholders.

We have compiled some values, principles, and practices we encountered through the years on our Agile Documentation space. This is somewhat related to one of our products, but they are quite abstract and should be useful for any toolset.

So much for the context of my answer: :-)

This space also lists some of the most interesting books concerned with technical writing and information architecture I have encountered trough the years that have been very useful to me - strictly personal view. Note that the listing is in alphabetical order (and the heading is clickable -- proofing that I'm still working on improving my skills).

Josh Wright May 17, 2018

Thank you for sharing your website and the list of books. 
I shall take a look at the The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing, that looks very interesting. 

Robert Reiner _smartics_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2018

Thank you for your feedback!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events