Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create Reports using jira software

robert_tarver June 18, 2021

For my summer internship, I have been tasked to build several reports for the team I am associated with using Jira software (kanban board). I am looking for apps and ideas on how to create custom reports using templates, be able to automate the process ( on demand reports), making the reports interactive. One question I did have was creating a dashboard that show multiple reports at once. Good or Too much information at one time, Also I hope to learn  how others displayed their reports. Any advice, suggestions, or help would be great.  Thank you for taking the time to read this newbie's request

2 answers

2 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ben Thoma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2021

@robert_tarver You may find this free course from Atlassian University to be helpful: Jira Reporting Basics

Happy learning!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joy RK June 18, 2021

Hey Robert, 

Interesting work you have got for your internship.

Dashboards are made up of gadgets, which are components the display dynamic information. There are a number of configurable gadgets in Jira and also in the Jira marketplace. Gadgets use Filters as the source of data

I would ideal suggest you try the step-by-step approach 

1. create the jira filters for the report and validating that it provides the right information required.
  2. Create a blank dashboard
  3. Identify the gadget that will enable you display the output of your filter the way you would like to share it.
  4. Pull gadget to dashboard.
  5. Keep it simple: The quality of the report & right amount of report on your dashboard will keep it relevant.

If there is some specific reporting you have questions about, please elaborate.
As a starter, it would advice focusing on the information you want to show rather than the Apps, and explore the available gadgets before testing other apps.

Hope you have fun with your project - I think it will be exciting.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events