How I Aced the ACP-600

Let's chat Atlassian Certifications! Do you manage and configure your organization's projects in Jira? Are you eager to become certified and show your expertise? Atlassian recently introduced a new contender into the Atlassian Certification realm, Project Administration in JIRA Server. They have also provided a very detailed on-demand online course in the learning paths portal to help you manage and configure projects in partnership with your JIRA Administrator. Before you embark in your certification journey, check out some tips and tricks below.

1. Practice makes perfect. This certification is made for a superuser who has had at least 6 months of experience or more working in Jira. If this is not you, don't worry. Practice makes perfect. I'd recommend practicing the different activities from the lab workbook in a dev instance using a project admin account. If you're already a JIRA admin, your permissions and capabilities are very different then a project administrator. This can cause you to be confused. It's important to listen to the on-demand online course provided by Atlassian. As there may be some areas you think you know, and have been recently updated or you misunderstood.  Studying the Atlassian coursework is definitely beneficial but getting hands-on experience will create muscle memory. 

2. Organize what you don't know. Whether it's using index cards, writing down notes or using a Trello board. It's important to narrow down what you don't know or understand and study it. You need to understand all of the concepts and terminology in the coursework, so it's important that you find a study method that works best for you. Some people find studying alone to be useful. I recommend going over the topics with other project admins or JIRA admins. Whether it's getting clarification on what field configurations is or listening to other people's questions that cause you to better understand a topic. If you're unable to find others to study with, I'd recommend posting a discussion on Atlassian Community. There are many community members who are highly experienced and can answer your questions. There are also others who are prepping for the exam and can study with you offline.   

3. Take the exam. When it's time to take the exam, get a full nights rest and use the bathroom before you start! While you're taking the exam, read every question carefully. Many times, the questions have details that help you eliminate answers. Be mindful of your time, if you do not know the answer to a question, checkmark the questions for review. This way, you can go back and take a look at them. Do not leave a question unanswered. It's better to answer a question and get it right, rather than leaving it blank and you do not get any points.  And last but not least, review all of your answers. Make sure all of the questions are answered and double check that the questions requiring two or more answers have just that.

Good luck on your certification journey! If you have any tips or tricks, comment below. 

18 comments

Comment

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 6, 2018

FANTASTIC article! Thanks for sharing, @Mary Ramirez :) 

Like Mary Ramirez likes this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2018

Just now discovering this article, but what a great resource — thanks, Mary! 😄

Deleted user November 25, 2018

great article please

DesRuqMania January 3, 2019

Wonderful!!  I'm inspired by this. 

Tanya L Christensen January 20, 2019

This cert is on my list.  Thanks for the advise.  

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2019

great article

Anthony Ossai February 2, 2019

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

danang February 5, 2019

I want this cert

Daniel Schröder February 10, 2019

I read this 15 minutes before the exam. In retrospect, point three was most important to me. Passed! Thanks.

Like # people like this
Anwer Mustafa March 28, 2019

Is there no negative marking for ACP-600 exam?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2019

@Anwer Mustafa - there is no negative marking. Definitely make sure you have an answer saved for each question before you submit your exam.

Like # people like this
Anwer Mustafa March 28, 2019

@Kat Warner Thanks for the information.

Syed Mohsin Ali Shah May 22, 2019

where I can find tutorials?

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2019

Very helpful article! Thanks

Diego Siqueira May 26, 2020

This post still inspires people in 2020. Thanks for sharing!

Mary Ramirez
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 26, 2020

I'm happy to hear that @Diego Siqueira !

Like Diego Siqueira likes this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2023

Good advice all.  I realize this article has a bit of age on it, but the advice is still valid.  I'll add a couple more recommendations:

1. Leverage a testing center, if possible.  Allowing them to proctor you takes the pressure away from you having to clear the desk, clear the room, and validate *everything* for your online proctor.  It may cost an extra $100, but it's worth every penny.
  2. Take the online quizzes over and over again until you not only get 100% of the answers correct, but until you understand the underlying concepts you may have missed the first 2-3 or dozen times through.  Take it until the concept in question is crystal clear in your mind's eye.
  3. A bit old school... but use flash cards to drive particularly sticky concepts into your gray matter.
  4. Again... practice, practice, practice... be it in a sandbox, in your daily job duties, or anywhere else you can squeeze it in.  Especially focus on those things you only do infrequently.

I put all the above into practice last year and passed my ACP-620 certification.  Thanks, @Mary Ramirez for some great advice... it still applies!

Joanna Thurmann
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2023

Like Randy O_Neal likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events