Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atlassian University Series - Jira Fundamentals

Most people thought it would be best to start this journey with the Jira Fundamentals Learning Path. This would give me the basics of the software, introduce common used terminology and should make it easier to complete the paths up ahead. 

Without much delay, I set upon this task. Since I followed this path before on a different account, I felt confident that I should breeze through this.

So, without further ado, how did it go?

Course

The course is well structured and starts at the absolute beginner level. It assumes that you are a user of the product, wont be administering and have a Jira instance available in which you can practice. 

While I cannot encourage testing in a production environment (really, please don’t), the tasks in this course won’t interfere with the working of the instance. Just make sure you either improve upon them or delete them after you are done.

If you don’t have an instance, or would like to explore the product more than is possible as a user, I highly encourage you to start a free instance. Just go to https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/free and sign up. The free version supports up to 10 users, plenty to experiment all you want.

While the course does introduce recent changes, it isn’t fully up-to-date. For instance, the course mentions Insights instead of the new name, Assets. 

However, it does introduce the products Jira Work Management and Jira Align. As to be expected in a fundamentals course, you won’t get much information about those products. Especially Jira Align, remains very vague. 

Focus points

The course heavily focusses on team work, being more efficient in both your work and personal life, and to make using Jira a daily habit. This focus does imply that you should use Jira for more than just work. Since Jira is, at the base, a very advanced To-Do list, this isn’t that strange. It just makes me wonder how this combines with the Work - Life theme of late and how, without suggesting that you create a personal instance, you should handle this within your work environment. 

Being a fundamentals course, they focus on all the basics. You get a good explanation about Jira, issues and boards. It also gives a basic rundown of Agile and explains the differences between Kanban and Scrum. There is a handy link to more information about Agile (https://www.atlassian.com/agile) if you are interested. 

Best practices

After getting the basic information, there are a few best practices that Atlassian encourages you to use.

For your convenience:

• Write short and clear summaries of around 4-7 words
    • Tasks: “<Action> <Activity/Thing>”
    • Stories: “As a <Persona>, I want <Thing>”
    • Bugs: “<Feature> should do <X>, but does <Y>”
  • Create multiple issues from the backlog or roadmap view
  • Flag issues to indicate something is up with the issue
  • Use e-mail notifications to stay connected
    • Stay as all-inclusive as you can manage
    • Set up an e-mail filter to label and categorize e-mails in your mail client
  • Use comments for everything. Requests, updates, questions etc.
  • Change your personal settings
    • Change your Jira Homepage to “Your Work”
  • Use the board as your default view
    • Use a filter to see only issues relevant to you
  • Create custom filters by saving searches.
  • Create Dashboards to get a customized view
    • Use gadgets to get the information you need

Exam

After you have gone through all the information, you need to pass an exam to receive the Jira Fundamentals badge. You will need to get 80% on a 30 question exam to pass.

Most question are very straightforward but there are some question that aren’t addressed in the course and will need to be learned by experimenting. 

In the end I passed with 93% and received my badge.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 22.06.50.png

Link to certification 

Conclusion

This was fun and I can highly recommend going through this course again if it has been a while. 

To my own surprise, I still learned a few things from this. 

• The Jira name refers to the whole Atlassian family of products, not just Jira Software.
  • I didn’t hear of Jira Align before. Curious to find out more.

Some recommendations for taking this path

• Get a free Jira instance if you haven’t already
  • Practice what is taught and experiment on your own
  • Have fun, it is a free, entry level path without 

What’s next?

This was more fun than I expected and I am looking forward to continuing this journey. I am still not sure which path to take next. It will be either Jira Service Management Fundamentals or Trello Fundamentals. I use JSM on a daily basis but I have no experience with Trello. 

Just stay tuned, I hope to post a new article before the week is over.

Happy learning!

Paul

9 comments

Comment

Gautam.Bhatia November 29, 2022

thank you @Paul Wiggers

Please could you share the link to the course and the link to certification which has been shared is not exactly taking us to the mentioned webpage. 

Sridhar Gandla November 29, 2022

Kindly share exam link... The above link is broken

Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2022

Just nitpicking a bit that it is not "As a <Persona>, I want <Thing>", but actually As a <Persona>, I want <Thing> because <Goal>, or as it is defined in the WWW: As a WHO I want WHAT because WHY.

Leaving out the WHY is one of the key reasons why so many teams build things that have little to no value. WHY is also the key element for business need and requirements where the owner of a need defines WHAT and WHY so the developers, or the people that make the need reality, defines the HOW.

Sorry, but requirements is something I am very passionate about ;)

Great article also, I think it will inspire more people to take a look at Atlassian University.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

@Gautam.Bhatia I have inserted the link into the first line. For your convenience: https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/815443-jira-fundamentals

The link to the certification is just that, a link to my certification. It should show my badge and completion score

@Sridhar Gandla See above. All the other links seem to work fine, if not, please let me know which ones are broken

@Jimi Wikman A why is indeed very important. Since this is a fundamentals course, I think they left it out on purpose. If not, it is an oversight. This is the line in the course material:

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 09.28.51.png

I too, hope that more people will take a look at the university. It is a great resource! How are you doing on your learning path? Anything planned?

Like # people like this
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2022

@Paul WiggersI hope to add some courses under my belt in 2023 and I am also considering going for Atlassian Expert so there will be some certifications as well if all goes well :)

Gautam.Bhatia November 30, 2022

thank you @Paul Wiggers 

Sridhar Gandla December 8, 2022

@Paul Wiggers : Link worked perfectly. Thank you Sir for sharing it here.  

Nuriia Rose
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 2, 2024

Hi @Paul Wiggers , which platform does Atlassian use, to create its free web-based trainings? Is it Articulate Storyline or something different? I love how Atlassian manages Community and University!

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2024

@Nuriia Rose Hello and thank you for your question. To be honest, I have no idea. I am just a simple user and I am not working for Atlassian.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events