#AlwaysBeLearning Lesson 2 | Train with your Team for Even Better Results 🙌🏽 🙌🏿

always be learning header.png

G'day, training & certification community!

As restrictions finally ease on in-person gatherings and travel, folks are increasingly heading back to offices and getting together as a team. While Atlassian employs a distributed workforce through Team Anywhere, two Atlassian University teams are soon getting together in person for an offsite in Austin! Many of us will actually get to meet one another for the very first time.

giphy

Sounds great, right? We think so too, and that’s why we’re here to offer you a suggestion today: it might be time to consider training with your team again in person—or online—soon! We’ve all gotten comfortable with virtual learning over these past few years, but that doesn’t mean we don’t love in-person training as a team—and all the benefits being in three dimensions brings.

When you train together, you exit the training with a shared understanding. And that’s not all you get: think smooth collaboration, better productivity, and—never to be underestimated—improved team spirit.

giphy-downsized

Team Training with Atlassian University

What’s team training with Atlassian University like? We’re glad you asked! You can bring up to 15 team members together and learn with a dedicated live instructor. You can choose a virtual classroom or even bring the instructor on site to your workplace. 

Teams that learn together:

• gain a shared understanding of their Atlassian tools and workflows

• experience the same learning materials at the same time

• get team-specific questions answered by a live instructor

Here are three more benefits of team training with Atlassian University:

1. Learn from experienced, live instructors

Atlassian University partners with experienced instructors: individuals who demonstrate both product and instruction expertise. These authorized individuals and companies are located around the world, offering your team the chance to learn from a teacher in your region and in your local language.

2. Get access to hands-on lab environments

The best way to retain what you've learned is through doing. We offer virtual, hands-on labs that give your team the chance to try what they've learned in a safe, sandboxed environment. These valuable labs reinforce a team's training and they are available for continued learning beyond the classroom time with your instructor.

3. Choose from virtual or on-site instruction

Whether you're an enterprise with your own on-campus space or a distributed team that connects over videoconferencing, our training can meet you where you are. Each team training session can host up to 15 attendees, allowing everyone to ask team-specific questions and gain a shared learning experience they can carry into their everyday work.

Reminder on participation in the #AlwaysBeLearning series:

If you are in the kudos program and you participate in our #AlwaysBeLearning series, you will earn a special, limited-edition #AlwaysBeLearning badge. Here’s what to do:

• Like five posts in the series

• Comment on at least one post

• Share at least one post on social media

Not in the kudos program yet? You can request to join right here.

CSD-337-Organic-Social-[ADO_Twitter-&-Linkedin_B2S-University-Campaign]_250x250 (1).png

We’ll have more fun surprises throughout the month, including something special for our most engaged users. 😉

Explore the hands-on training catalog here and tell us below:

1.) How does your team currently tackle training?

2.) What Atlassian University course might make the most sense for your team to train on together? 

26 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Hmm. I would love some of these courses, but for smaller teams in our organization. I'll reach out to someone to see how that can be coordinated. Don't want to post which specific tracks here so it can remain a surprise for anyone from my org that may be following this thread!

Like # people like this
Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 13, 2022

I actually didn't know you could do this. It's a great opportunity. Learning and training together is always so much more fun and productive. 

Like # people like this
Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

Looking forward to these courses

Like # people like this
Tosha Liveoak September 14, 2022

Completely agree with the training in person.  Teams make it somewhat functional, but I always enjoy in-person training and work sessions!  Regardless, Atlassian training has been easy to understand and engaging!  Our department completed the virtual option for JSM, JS, Confluence, and others.  This was due to budget and we look forward to in-person training hopefully soon as we plan on launching company-wide. 

Question:  What are your thoughts on training for organization-wide?  We are roughly 800 employees I believe.  We have several departments including a Learning and Development team that may work with your teams.  Suggestions?  Thoughts? Pointers?

Thanks for sharing @Jaime Netzer !

&& Shared!Screenshot 2022-09-14 085349.png

Like # people like this
Dan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Tosha Liveoak - Thanks for your question on scaling training to large teams. The way we see it, of the 800 users, most of them are probably what we would consider 'end-users' that you can most likely cover with our free training options. The Fundamentals courses (JSW, JSM, Trello and Confluence) are a fantastic option for our Core products.
We also have the Training for Jira marketplace App is a very affordable way to roll out training across teams that puts the experience right into Jira Software (would appear under Apps in the nav bar once installed) so your users can get direct access to all the modules included in the App. 

For all the remaining team members, we would consider them the power users and for those folks, we have Learning Paths for them based on role. There is a mix of both paid and free training options within the learning paths. Normally teams only have a handful of both admins and project admins so it depends on those numbers if a virtual or live training makes sense (remember we can take up to 15 students). If not, On Demand is the best option for them - and as you probably know those prices are coming down to $39 in (now) mid October. 

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out and we'll be happy to work with you on a custom training program. 

Best,
Dan Schillace

Sr. Services Solutions Advocate 

Like # people like this
Tosha Liveoak September 14, 2022

Thank you, @Dan ! I've learned that hands-on, live training is typically what our company prefers, but overall I like this approach you suggested.  Does Atlassian offer on-site "Train the Trainer" sessions?  I assume would still be at max 15 participants at a time, correct?  What does that training approach look like?  

Thanks!

Like Manoj Gangwar likes this
Dan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Tosha Liveoak - For hands on live training, we do max out at 15 students. We're happy to do a train-the-trainer type session, but we don't offer any materials for you to then go teach with. They would have to take what they learned and develop their own content with it. 
You may want to engage with some of our Partners to see what they offer, a lot of them have their own versions of training and so may in fact have a more productized 'train-the-trainer' model to offer you.

Best,

Dan

Like # people like this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hi @Jaime Netzer ,

1) How does your team currently tackle training? >> All the ex-organizations I worked for had purchased Udemy Business and Percipio licenses for training in-house employees. I haven't seen a single employer sponsoring trainings externally (exception to Microsoft certifications).

2.) What Atlassian University course might make the most sense for your team to train on together? >> Majority voting will go for Jira software, Confluence and Bitbucket courses.

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2022

Hi.

One of our challenges, since we are in the Cloud, are the constant new features and changes in the platform. I have setup a biweekly post in the Slack channel that uses the Atlassian suite the most. I post tips and tricks there and call it "Did you know..."

I brand it with couple of emojis - same ones every time - and then I leave with: Stay tuned for more Atlassian tips coming to Slack channel near you…

Basically trying to embed this continuous learning into everyday things like Slack.

HTH.
KGM

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2022

@Jaime Netzer hi!

Thanx again for sharing this! It's always great to work and study with others. You can really learn a lot and more easy, since someone from your team can have a better understanding/perspective of certain aspects to which you need help, but you also can help others!

Like Jaime Netzer likes this
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2022

From what I heard with several different users and departments an in-person training with a skilled and (certified, professional) Atlassian Partner turned out to make the most impact.

2.) What Atlassian University course might make the most sense for your team to train on together?

This is clearly Jira Administration - users having the permissions in Jira to administer the whole instance can make a huge impact (a great one by enabling teams to do a great job) but also in terms of deleting something unintentionally or just making a mistake which is seen by several hundreds of people.
So, Jira Administration is an important course to get a better understanding of the greater picture (how the parts in Jira work altogether).

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

This is great, I would like a team course to go through the basics of JSM. Just to get my team up to speed with all the functionality that is available.

Keep up the good work.

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

Right now it's every person for themselves! It's not great but we'll encourage the self-initiators and reward them but we don't have a structure for training in place unless it's HR training. I'm taking some steps to formalize this for Atlassian Certs (Slack group, regular check-ins, etc).

• Jira Essentials with Agile Mindset: Course Description
  • Getting More from Jira Workflows
  • Jira Automation
  • Confluence Administration
Like Heydi Menéndez likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2022

Learning never ends.
I feel the new clients teams need to start at fundamentals and then continue until their understanding growth reaches workable knowledge of the tools and the processes they enable.

Sharon Tan
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 29, 2022

Love that tip, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !!

Alvaro Fabian Hernandez Ramirez
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2022

i don't have the opportunity to study in group and in the spanish... but i feel great with this tips

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 6, 2022

Thanks for sharing

Kevin Tuei
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2022

It's always amazing how much you can achieve as a team. Even as a leader I usually struggle to complete courses that have a solo-learning model with little or no community support. 

Enrolling as a team makes sure you are accountable to each other and that the team completion accomplishment feels just as awesome as for any individual. That's why we organize learn-a-thons for our members to come together and learn more about the core products through the Atlassian University offerings. 

Like # people like this
Faith November 16, 2022

Our entire organization is revamping the employee training plan. Currently, individuals seek training and resources independently.

My team would benefit right now with the Jira Essentials with Agile Mindset course.

Like # people like this
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2022

Just regaining kudos after the migration

Cyril Dubson December 5, 2022

Wow

Opher Lichter December 6, 2022

Right now, when we purchase training, it has to be from the account that will eventually take it - along with the Team training, it would be great if we could sponsor training for individual team members (accounts other than our own). 

Amélie Duplany December 27, 2022

👏🏻 thank you for your tips !

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Markku Miettunen April 17, 2023

Hi, we are leaning from each other in the Service Management Office and other teams, and we also enjoy the excellent courses available in the Atlassian University. 

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2023

Thank you!  Keeping this in mind for the future!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events