Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Language help] What are words you can use to start a critique?

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2022

Prompt: sometimes, teammates ask for feedback, but starting off a critique can be hard. How might you begin?

Please share the language you use in these situations. Or, upvote the responses you like.

Series note: communication is the foundation of connection with teammates. The more options we have at our disposal, the better chance we have of communicating our needs. What better place to crowdsource ideas than from the Atlassian Community?

6 answers

6 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro April 19, 2022

Great question! Our culture breaths are constructive. We're very open to it, feedback being, whether good or not, to improve our performance and results. So, I like to come up with the context of the situation, talk directly about my feedback about what was wrong or right, and then suggest reviewing our procedure. Because if it failed, it wasn't clear for my teammate, or the process could be more anchored. And finally, together, we'll find the best fit to deal with and fix the best path to move forward. Most of the time, it's a triumphant conversation when I exchange some feedback. And I always do my best to make everything clear without any doubts or concerns for both sides.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 19, 2022

Comprehensive. One of the points I'm picking up is that thoroughness is important. Context, the situation itself, + the critique. Which is to also say that we're not just talking about the feedback itself when having a conversation about a critique. Good one to remember.

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2022

Ohh I like this prompt.  Much like @Joseph Chung Yin pointed out already, when I have been approached by a teammate for feedback, there is usually an understanding in place already that anything said is not meant as a personal attack but an opportunity to do and be better.

Ironically, or maybe un-ironically, I have less negative feedback for those that ask as they are always striving to be better, whereas those who don't ask usually have more room for improvement.

Now, before you ask @Christine P. Dela Rosa, in "those" situations, I like to lead that conversation pointing out something they are doing very well before offering a suggestion on where they can improve.  It's not always successful but I always feel better for having made an attempt to help them improve.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2022

Love that you knew the question I had in my head as I began to read your response, @Jimmy Seddon lolol.

And I totally hear that leading with a positive note is not always successful if it's mixed messages. But I Think that leading with a positive note might start both parties off from a place of shared understanding. Sometimes, starting from the same place simply helps get the two parties open to moving towards whatever else is said afterward. So, I'm for it, too!

3 votes
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2022

Hi @Christine P. Dela Rosa ,

When sharing constructive feedback I like to be specific and to make it about a situation. If we know each other well, and there is trust, then it's a little bit easier, as the recipient of the feedback may know that there is positive intention and not ill-intentioned.  I normally like to start announcing the feedback, and asking for permission, e.g. "I wanted to give you some feedback, if you'd like to hear it." I describe the situation "when you gave the presentation of project A yesterday", and then present the issue, e.g. "there was a lot of information in the slides and this made it difficult to understand the action items that were urgent." Finally I offer advice: " maybe next time it would be more effective to present the current risks and immediate actions."

In some cultures, it's also expected to start with some positive feedback, although I found that in some cases, this may take the focus from the constructive feedback.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2022

Asking if they're okay with receiving some or simply stating that you're going to give some, is an obvious way to prepare people to be in the right mindset for what they're about to hear. I don't know why I don't think of this as my default way to start!

Like Carlos Garcia likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Mel Policicchio
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2022

Giving and receiving feedback can be a wildcard experience because everyone has unique preferences. Personally, I like to know in advance that my manager plans to pay special attention to my presentation/draft content/etc. and intends to give specific feedback on it. Hearing something like "I'm looking forward to your presentation for the team at our next meeting and seeing how you present the info" is a nice clue that this particular presentation is a bigger deal than some others.

Afterward, I like when managers start the conversation by asking me how I think I did. We're our own worst critics and often the feedback I have for myself is pretty aligned with the feedback they have for me. This also takes some of the heat off my manager; they're not the ones saying I talk too fast, they're simply reinforcing what I already know. This also helps steer the conversation  away from just feedback ("you need to speak slower during a presentation") to solutions ("I agree with you that you're speaking a little fast, one thing I like to do is take a deliberate breath between each bullet on the slide")

For me, the most important part of the feedback conversation is the solution. I'm generally already aware of my own faults, so hearing them restated isn't particularly helpful. Hearing potential solutions, tips, or opportunities for education is exponentially more helpful, and may require a little more preparation on the managers' part! But in that case, it's quality over quantity. I'd rather spend half an hour discussing how I can improve my speaking during a presentation than half than hour hearing how I speak too quickly, my slides are too busy, and presentation content was missing key elements. 

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2022

Wow - so many suggestions, @Mel Policicchio !

Giving a heads up that you're going to give a critique REALLY prepares someone. I've never intentionally done that before so I'll give it a try and see how it fares. And then, starting the actual critique by inquiring how the other person feels, in a way, models that the critique is to be two-way. I never thought about it that way before.

Like Mel Policicchio likes this
Mel Policicchio
Atlassian Team
April 19, 2022

It was a good prompt, @Christine P. Dela Rosa! I didn't realize how passionate I am about feedback until I started writing haha 

Like Christine P. Dela Rosa likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2022

@Christine P. Dela Rosa -

In our team, everyone all understand this one common philosophy that all feedbacks are treated as constructive and not as negative attack.   As long as the feedbacks are factual based and not something just out of no where with nothing to back it up.

Team's learning will never stop and it is always a 2 ways street among the team members - to give/to receive.  An environment that fosters learning is a must for all of us.

Best, Joseph  

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
April 18, 2022

The "2-way street" note is interesting. I wonder if learning-based cultures like yours have designated times (like team spars) for back-and-forth feedback time. That way, it doesn't matter how you start because each party knows what's about to come.

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2022

On our team, we usually ask ourselves to think it twice about the better wording before delivering to our peers but keep it succinct. Meanwhile, not just offer the critiques but always try to provide a suggestion at the same time, and always be keen to open for discussion regarding the topic.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2022

The suggestions are what make change happen. Yeah!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events