what I feel about open

Nik De Muyer September 9, 2019

open workplaces are counter productive: 

• create a lot of distractions (noise, people have meetings, ...)
  • available all the time, 
  • no boundaries
  • everybody is wearing headsets

4 comments

Comment

Maciej Neumann September 18, 2019

I totally agree and, as far as I know, it is the consensus between work-place researchers also at this moment:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90204593/heres-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-open-plan-offices

People need their privacy to focus and make their job right. The main advantage that was supposedly brought advantage - easier cooperation between people, isn't working that good as it should.

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

My ... I'm an advocate for a good balance of both. Personally, I find there are different types of tasks that require either my undivided attention or for me to be bouncing ideas around with those around me.

If you ask any of my colleagues, I spend a good amount of time jumping from my desk to someone else's or rolling around the floor on my chair :)

Open spaces also help a good deal when you want to start a nerf battle ;)

Like Tim Keyes likes this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

I agree on the importance of balance.

Something the Jira Align team did was purchase head sets that have red lights on the outside that you can turn on when you are "locked in" and do not want to be distracted.  This way team members know when it is safe to approach someone. 

Having a couple of quiet call rooms and a standalone conference room can also provide a place for serious calls or meetings when necessary.  

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

when it is safe to approach someone.

😂

Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

Yup!  These are the head phones we have now with a big scary red light to avoid!

Like # people like this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

That's awesome! 😧

Jaime Uy October 5, 2021

Sometimes they make it harder to focus!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events