"Teamistry" Season 4 is here! Let's discuss (you might win some swag 😎)

shannyshan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2022

Hello Teamwork Lab friends!

Atlassian's original podcast, Teamistry is back for a 4th season and we'd love to get some episode discussions going with y'all. 

teamistry.png

Teamistry explores the chemistry of teams that achieve the impossible through collaboration. This season takes on a docuseries format as we deep dive into Concorde: the world’s only supersonic passenger plane to have taken to the skies. Concorde is a testament to what happens when teams go beyond borders, egos, and politics to make the impossible, possible.

⭐️ LISTEN & SUBSCRIBE

We'll post discussion prompts for each episode the week after they launch (we're on a biweekly launch schedule). Respond to one or all prompts in the comments for a chance to win Atlassian swag! When we post prompts for Episode 2 (the week of December 12), we'll announce the swag winner from this post. 

We're excited to have some fun & insightful discussions with you all!

Episode 1, The Dream of Supersonic Flight prompts: 

• Did you know anything about Concorde prior to listening to this first episode? Do you have any memories of hearing about Concorde (or actually flying on it?!) in it’s heyday?
  • We learn that building Concorde required exceptional teamwork between 2 different cultures (French & British). What do you think is most important when collaborating across cultures?
  • What are you most excited to hear more about in this season?

19 comments

Comment

Jonathan V. December 2, 2022

This is pretty cool, as I remember Concorde from when I was younger. I had heard and read some stuff about them, but not too much. 

In my opinion, when collaborating across cultures, you need to learn about the other side so you can better understand not only how they work, but also how they see things and even think about matters. You also have to be respectful of the differences and find ways to leverage the cultural differences to the benefit of the project.

I'm excited to hear about some of the challenges they faced with this extremely complex project and how they were able to resolve them.

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2022

That's awesome! I had also heard bits and pieces about Concorde back in the day, but never really knew the story until we started to create this podcast. And what a story it is! 🤯

And that's an excellent points. Totally agree with learning about the other culture you're working with and finding ways to leverage differences in a positive way - so well said.

Can't wait for you to hear the rest! ✈️

Like # people like this
Opher Lichter December 6, 2022

love the Teamistry podcast! I've listened to quite a few of these, and they're always worth the time!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2022

This is a really good podcast! Lots of good information that I had no idea about. I remember seeing pictures of the Concorde and always wanted to fly on it. But like the in the podcast, no way I had the money to afford to fly on one!

Communication is always the most important thing between two teams, whether crossing cultures or not. The two teams need to find common ground to share with each other and build upon. The two Concorde teams did that through a common desire and goal and then using pictures to share and build upon - what a great idea that was!

I am excited in just hearing more of the behind the scenes insight of what was going on during the design and building of the initial prototypes and production planes. 

Like shannyshan likes this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2022

Thanks, @John Funk! Totally agree about communication. And you will definitely be getting more insight into the design and building! Lots of great details to come :) 

Like John Funk likes this
Viswanathan Ramachandran December 7, 2022

Great to see podcast back. Excited for the swags to be honest 

Like shannyshan likes this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2022

Thanks, @Viswanathan Ramachandran! We hope you enjoy it! 

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

Interesting, I will subscribe and listen on my train commute to a client.

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2022

Awesome! Let us know how you like it @Dave Mathijs 🛩 while on the 🚊!

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2022

This was great to listen to! I knew hardly nothing about the Concorde before listening to this podcast! Communication is so important between cultures! I struggle with this on a daily basis, but it is getting better. I have two developers in India and I struggle sometimes to align with them. I find the more clear I am the better things turn out. I tend to draw or outline the conversations we have so we are all under the same impression and all have the same understanding. 

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2022

Thanks @summer.hogan! And that's a great tip to draw/outline conversations to make sure everyone is on the same page – very smart. 💡

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2022

I grew up on Long Island, and the Concorde was a frequent sight in the skies on it's transcontinental trips between JFK and London-Heathrow and Paris-Charles de Gaulle. Every time we saw it in the sky it created a sensation of wonderment. There used to be a billboard at the exit of the Midtown Tunnel as you drove into Manhattan that declared the record times for flights between NY and London. I remember thinking that it sometimes took us longer to go in the car to visit friends and relatives in upstate NY than it took to cross the Atlantic!

When I got married we settled in Far Rockaway, NY which is in the shadow of JFK. We could set our watches by the sonic boom we would often hear (and feel) when the Concorde was landing at JFK at ~10AM on it's daily trip back from overseas. Since we were right below it's landing path it brought me back to my elementary school years looking up in the sky in wonderment. After the retirement of the remaining Concorde's I was able to see and touch it up close at Floyd Bennett Field and on the Intrepid. (I also seem to remember a GnR Music Video - maybe Paradise City? that showed the band inside the Concorde - and stepping inside felt surreal for me). I also remember the unfortunate crashes that caused the planes to be retired and watching grainy video of it on internet news coverage - very sad for so many reasons.

I was not aware before that this was a joint effort. Language is a natural barrier, and  differing engineering styles only added to that. I'm amazed at how the two teams were able to come together to conquer the cause of supersonic flight despite these differences and lack of collaboration tools at the time that the design, engineering and fabrication all took place. 

I'm excited to hear more about the process and see how lessons from 30+ years ago can make us more efficient and effective today when working on cross-cultural teams.

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2022

What an incredible experience, @Andy Gladstone! Thanks for sharing those memories and setting the scene – I feel like I'm right there in Far Rockaway listening to the sonic booms. 

And I know! It's incredible what they were able to accomplish through language barriers and lack of modern technology. 

Hope you enjoy the rest of the show!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2022

Also, congrats @Andy GladstoneYou're our swag winner this time around - email me at swinter@atlassian.com to receive your code for our merch store!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2022

Well earned with a story like that! Congrats, Andy!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Omar Mohamed Fathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2023

nice

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2022

Glad I finally got around to listening this...even if I missed the chance for swag, haha! I think that clear communication is important in any team, but particularly cross-cultures. I think it's so important to understand how your team prefers to communicate and be communicated with - think of it as your work love language. When you work with people from other cultures, this becomes even more important since different cultures have such different communication styles. Without truly understanding (or at a minimum, trying to understand and relate to) your colleagues, the disconnect can have devastating impacts.

Like # people like this
shannyshan
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2022

hehe there's always next time for swag! 😉 Thanks so much for listening & sharing your insights, @Amanda Barber. Love thinking of the how of communication as your work love language - so good. 

Like # people like this
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 25, 2022

Awesome! Great to see podcast back :)

Like Sam Nadarajan likes this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2023

About people who dreamed the same dream and came together to achieve the impossible.
What a great quote.

Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 6, 2023

Don’t miss out on an exclusive “Teamistry Player” badge! Earn 100 kudos points by listening to the latest Teamistry podcast answering a prompt on any episode thread! 🤩🤩🤩🤩

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2023

I've commented on each episode's thread but still show that the badge is not complete. Any ideas, @Saralie S. ?

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 9.16.57 AM.png

Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 15, 2023

@Amanda Barber Oh no, that's weird. I'm going to look into it for you and resolve this. Let me know if the badge still does not appear tomorrow. 

Like Monique vdB likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2023

Thank you so much!

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2023

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this podcase via the Kudos program. Just started episode 1.

Another interesting podcast while commuting :-)

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2023

Wow can't believe I just stumbled into this!

1. I know of the Concorde program (a mild avGeek) but never had the opportunity to fly in one (maybe Boom Supersonic will get off the ground and I'll experience it!)

2. Having an outside, neutral party may help to facilitate conversations between cultures (at least at the beginning i.e. non-French or non-British in this case), but that's a large gray area to be careful in. Acknowledging differences and building trust (taking time to build trust in the beginning even if no immediate business value is identified is important).

3. How concepts used in the rise/fall of Concorde are still applicable today (maybe we use Teamistry to build Atlassian Airlines?)

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2023

Interesting technology and story.

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2023

jet cone concorde GIF

Tom Whittle March 14, 2023

I'm a little late to the party, however, I have got to say that Teamistry S4 has been one of the most interesting and engaging podcasts I have listened to in a while.

Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 15, 2023

Better late than never. Amazing content, I will check the other podcast episodes.

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2023

Great podcast.  History and Leadership all in one!  concorde-3463410391.jpg

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2023

I will admit that I started to listen to this series because I was feeling a little homesick for Bristol and didn't know much about this story. I was relieved to find that this is an interesting and well-produced podcast. I would recommend it if you are anyway into podcasts.

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2023

Interesting stuff!  I wasn't too familiar with the story behind Concorde...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events