Work from office or work from home

Medhat Ahmed October 14, 2021

I just want your opinion about this?

16 comments

Comment

Britta Neugebauer _yasoon_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2021

For me personally, it's 60 % office and 40% home. Still finding a balance, tho.

Like Medhat Ahmed likes this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

In the past years, my preferences changed towards mostly working from home. I like the time optimization and the ability to create the perfect schedule for my needs.

Like # people like this
Warde Wynter October 14, 2021

Given the pandemic I only work from home 

I think a good balance is at least 2 days in the office which should rather be referred to as 'in person collaboration' rather than 'in the office' :-)

I think some people view 'in the office' as a a way to keep tabs on people

it should be seen as a positive where people can collaborate and interact  in person

IMHO 

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

100% home :) I have much better focus while working from home and I'm able to get things done faster.

If I feel I need to change the environment I just go for a coffee and work for an hour from there ☕️

Like # people like this
Patrícia Fortunato Montenegro October 14, 2021

Hi @Medhat Ahmed

I agree with Nikki!

So much better focus here - at home - without interruptions. 🤩 🚀

Like # people like this
Colum McAndrew October 14, 2021

I find working from home increases my productivity. There's three hours of the day when I'm not participating in the daily commute and not able to work. Since the start of the pandemic I've found I'm working longer hours, but don't feel as stressed as I did before.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

I really enjoy being in the office. I don't like the commute, but the interactions with other humans is better for me and my marriage.  :-)

However, I would really enjoy one day WFH and the rest in the office each week. 

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2021

If you're just taking a poll, I'm definitely a "default to work from home" kind of gal. I give in to norms and peer pressure to much to feel comfortable working when I want to work and in the way I like to do it (e.g. lying down sometimes lol) to do that from an office.

But, I do see the benefits of in-person collaboration and would never want to work for a team that has zero in-person connection.

Like # people like this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2021

All depends on the nature of work and people/team involved to deliver the work. There can't be any thumb rule or go to guide for this.

Happy to hear from others.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

WFH is trending, that's for sure.
I like the balance of the two and the autonomy to be flexible within them.

Like Medhat Ahmed likes this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2021

For me WFH 90% of the times and WFO 10% on need basis for F2F meetings.

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2021

I have worked from home for 13 years.  I did have to go into an office daily for 2 of those years and disliked it.  I am much more productive at home with monthly trips to my office.  But figuring out boundaries is very important when you work from home.

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 19, 2021

Office = time waste for travel, at home I can wake up and in 2 min literally in my underwear jump right into action.

P.s. I'm a zoom mermaid! Mwahahah

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

Home, but willing to go to the office for team/planning meetings.

Hakeem Olasupo
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Several studies over the past few months show productivity while working remotely from home is better than working in an office setting. On average, those who work from home spend 10 minutes less a day being unproductive, work one more day a week, and are 47% more productive.

For me personally, I prefer work from home.

Colum McAndrew November 11, 2021

If you're using Atlassian products, you're more than likely in a profession that produces or uses technology. It is technology that has allowed this change in our work. An "office" can be a physical onsite location, or a space in or around your home.

Here in the UK, we're finding that people looking to move home are increasingly looking for houses with a separate room they can call their office. It increases the home's value, especially to those at the younger end of the working population. They want the flexibility to choose when to go into their employer's premises.

If there is one positive from the last 18 months, it is that technology has proved that a physical central location is no longer needed for some of us. Some, like me, have changed their habits and have decided hardly ever to go into our office. I've been in twice since the pandemic started. Others go in more frequently. It's all down to personal choice.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 18, 2021

Until the pandemic hit I was always in the office as close to 100% of the time as I could be. Winter Fridays were work from home, not as a perk but as a matter of convenience. 

When we pivoted to 100% remote as the pandemic sunk in it took a while to develop the proper work from home regime for me and my coworkers. Much of our success can be directly related to the in-office interaction between team members and between teams. Replicating that over Slack, Zoom and phone was difficult.

Luckily, we launched Confluence to the entire organization just two months before the pandemic sank in, and it really highlighted the importance of centralized documentation and collaboration to the teams. We could no longer rely on 'tribal knowledge' when the tribe was divided.

We returned to work in the office in August 2020, but have relaxed our position on work from home requests, and have created better systems to allow for a hybrid workplace. At this point it's a personal toss up for me. I thrive on the hustle and bustle of being in the office, serendipitous 'water cooler' moments and having my pulse on the business by sensing the emotion and activity. On days when I am home I try to prepare better for them so I can feel accomplished - whether that be dedicating some deep thinking project time or making sure I have a task list to work through - to maximize my productivity.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events