What style of retrospective have you found to be the most successful and/or useful?

Jason H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

There are many different styles of retrospective from the classics of Glad/Sad/Mad and the 4L's* through to some really wacky ideas like The Oscars.

What are your go-to favourites?

Do you stick with one style or do you switch depending on the outcome you're looking for?

-------------------------

* 4L's: Liked/Learned/Lacked/Longed for

3 comments

Comment

Umar January 15, 2020

I usually switch it up depending on the outcome or how the sprint went.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2020

Love this answer - do you find particular formats useful when a sprint went especially well?

Umar September 14, 2020

It may sound flaky, but I have found the team to be way more vocal so I would then aim for something that would engage them. 1-2-3-All worked for them.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2020

Doesn't sound flaky at all! :)

Jason H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

"The Oscars" was an attempt at a fresh theme for regular retro topics. It consisted of five columns:

• Studio backing - what should we start doing (because the studio has loads of cash)
  • Alan Smithee - what should we stop doing (when a director quits a movie, the director credits go to Alan Smithee)
  • Director's cut - what should we do more of (directors want to spend more)
  • Producer's cut - what should we do less of (producers want to spend less)
  • And the Oscar goes to - kudos
Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2020

@Jason H - I switch retrospective formats regularly to keep things fun and interesting for my teams (and me!). If I'm with a team for a long time, this is especially important.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2020

I agree with @Dave Liao  It is important to change it up to keep teams engaged and retrospect's a productive activity.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events