Tips & lessons for 2022: assume you don't have all the info

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2022

Advice

Data points don't tell a full story, and as humans, we often fill in the gaps based on what we think is most likely true. However, this mad libs exercise is often taken as fact when we were writing a narrative based on our limited experiences.

What to do?

• If you don't know the answer, ask. If you need more data points, collect them. Run surveys among a sample of customers. Poll teams. Or even gut check by talking to one person of interest.
  • Share your thoughts along with your source so others know what you're basing your perspective on.
  • On the info-receiving end of things, overcommunicate because what you think is obvious may not be to others.

Relevancy to today

The unexpected events from the world trickle down to landscape changes, which in turn, trickle down to business changes. And coupled with the game of telephone, where a full story somewhat deteriorates over time, having more (than less) information can go a long way in keeping teams calm, make more informed decisions, and change related perspectives.

4 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2022

YES! We live in a qualitative vs. quantitative world right now. Numbers are not enough. Context and color are more important to understand the full story.

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2022

On a related note to your point, @Andy Gladstone - I've been thinking about how we deliver information and how it's received differently based on context. Like, if your team is slightly changing its goal based on a more narrow priority list...that information is probably better to provide over a townhall at the start of a workweek or something than say at the end of a big sprint and are right in the middle of finishing something that may no longer be relevant.

Do you have a wait for the right mood, when certain people can bring balanced energy, or timing in a project to deliver certain news? I wonder how much we all take this into account or if we just take the first opportunity to deliver the news so long as one or two conditions are met.

Like SGD likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2022

Hi @Christine P_ Dela Rosa 

Yesterday I heard a phrase that impacted me and I will try to apply it every day of my life
"There is no silly question, silly is to think that everyone is perfect and knows everything, sometimes a silly question is the beginning of a great debate"

So ask what you need, share what you can, and learn as much as possible.

Cheers

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
January 26, 2022

I've been thinking about how asking questions only leads to more knowledge. It's that curiosity and willingness to learn that get us to transformation.

Love your quote. Very applicable.

Like Vero Rivas likes this
Fabio Genovese
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2022

If you don't have all the information

• Ask
  • document
  • study
  • observe
  • analyse
  • act
  • make mistakes
  • start again

above all, never lose the will to learn

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2023

Very relevant.  It's never good when you make a decision and then find out more information that would have potentially changed the outcome.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events