Tips & Lessons for 2022: Feel free to fail

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

Advice

Ensure psychological safety as broadly as possible, so that people/the team feel free to fail. Of course the important part is to learn from it.
Incorporate fun with a Fail Wall...or the like (somewhere to document the fail, the lesson and any next attempts/actions etc.). So that people talk freely about them and normalize not only talking about the fail "You'll never guess that I just did" 🤣, but also the lesson "You'll never guess what i just learnt"💡.

Relevancy for today

As already mentioned in these "Tips & Lessons", change is a constant. So is failure, so is learning. As the saying goes, "if we don't learn to fail, then we fail to learn" …..we fail to change.

Changing/failing and learning as efficiently as possible have always been important, never more so than now. 

3 comments

Comment

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2022

There are many cultures that say they embrace failure, but it's more often talking the talk than walking the walk. So I really like the idea of positively reinforcing failtures.

One thing I've heard works well as an exercise, is going around and sharing one thing each teammate failed in the past X weeks. Where, perhaps if someone can't think of something to share, they haven't challenged themselves hard enough. If you try this, tell me how it goes!

Like Curt Holley likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

I have done it once 😄 surely you will learn something from what you have witnessed, rather I would suggest to pass and also improve 🙂

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2022

Hi @Curt Holley 

I think that in our society "failing" is inadmissible, it seems that you are not excellent, you are always looking for perfection, the best and that is terribly exhausting on an emotional level for the person

Failure is part of life, the important thing is to know how to value it properly, learn from it and see the positive side to continue with life
   Perfection does not exist, it is an invention of humanity to establish parameters that only lead to frustration

Cheers

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2022

Hi @Vero Rivas  not sure i understand what you are trying to say in the first paragraph, but not sure you have "me" correctly categorised....

I do however agree with your second/third paragraphs.

In other words:

Perfection is an illusion.

A failure is always an opportunity to learn.

Failure is a part of life.....we fail and regret things all the time. How we embrace those moments to change ourselves (or what we do) for the better next time is the key.

fail fast quote - Google Search

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events