cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIPS & LESSONS FOR 2022: Round-robin meeting host/leader

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

My tip for 2022 more effectively working with teams is to ensure that all members of the team have an opportunity on stage. That is ensure that each member has a chance to run your regular meetings.

2022 will be more of the same of what we saw in 2021 regarding virtual meetings using video conferencing. As we continue to seemingly miss out on the face to face working within the office it is becoming more and more critical that no one is left behind. One way of helping with this risk is to ensure that each individual has a chance on the center stage in recurring meetings. If you don't have a regular recurring meeting then I highly suggest one be created and set it up such that each week a new member of the team is presenting whatever the topic of the day is. I realize that some people don't do well in the limelight and this may be challenging however I think it is critical to get through it.

9 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

I LOVE this tip!  Good call @Jack Brickey!  I'll be the first to admit that I usually prefer to be the "man behind the curtain".  But my manager has done an excellent job of getting everyone on the team to be more comfortable at least leading a discussion within the team. (We were formed while remote and have yet to meet face to face.)

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

Yes, I agree, this is a great tip. It may take some time for people to get comfortable with presenting or leading discussions, or with facilitating a meeting, but it's a great skill to have that can only be acquired or improved with time and practice. Also, this would enable and empower every one in the team. Thanks for sharing, Jack!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

I strongly agree with this tip @Jack Brickey

As @Jimmy Seddon admitted, I would also like to admit that I am also a person who is more comfortable "behind the curtain". There have been some opportunities in the past where I got to build and improve on my presentation skills through training others, but it has been a long time.

It definitely needs a good and supportive team leader to help and groom their team members to be more comfortable in presenting and leading some discussions. And these skills are very critical in today's world.

And I strongly believe that each team leader and team should be supporting this initiative.

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2022

This tip is a very specific practice, but the one layer above that is really about growth for individuals AND engagement across a team to make sure the whole team is committed. I like that it puts into practice what isn't easy to foster in a time where teams have had a harder team getting teammates to feel invested!

Kelly Pallanti January 13, 2022

I think this should be a core of leadership training, you must make space to hear from all team members.  I will only add that from my virtual round-robin experiences, there are some people who feel so uncomfortable speaking in front of a group that they shared they were developing severe anxiety the night before every meeting, not the desired intention of course.  When I offered those who expressed discomfort to keep their camera off when it was their turn to speak, I saw more meaningful participation instead of a nervously forced interaction. 

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

I agree that not everyone might be confortable in taking lead of meetings. It might be good to start really small or make round-robin optional 🤓

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2022

A very practical tip for new team members onboarded remotely! 

Thanks Jack for sharing the tip!

Belto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2022

Great tip @Jack Brickey 

Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2022

On the same note, what if some team members do NOT want to host those sessions?

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2022

We do this with our weekly marketing meeting, and the host of the week starts off with sharing something: a recent project success, something learned, a cool resource, or a question they want to discuss with the team. In addition to being an opportunity to be center stage just by leading the meeting, sharing something lets each of us shine some light on something important to us. 

Another important benefit of having a round robin meeting host system is that it gives a sense of ownership to everyone on the team. It's not a meeting run by the head of X, for the head of X, but a team meeting that everyone is responsible for.

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2022

Excellent advice or tip as you want to understand

Thanks for sharing !!!

Cheers

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events