Play of the month: The best teams are always learning!

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 17, 2022

Building strong work relationships is a challenge (and it's probably even more of a challenge for those of us who are remote!). But it’s a challenge we need to take on — those relationships are much more important than we might think. What better way to strengthen them than by learning something new together?

learning together.png

When teams make time to get together to share experiences with a goal of professional development in mind, it’s a win-win situation. With our Learning Circle Play, you’ll encourage continuous learning across and between teams by facilitating structured learning activities. And after running the Play, you'll walk away with new information you can use in your daily work and (bonus!!) deeper connections with your teammates.

Now here’s the really fun part: Learning Circle topics have no bounds. They can be based on specific challenges your team is facing, such as exploring ways your team can incorporate more customer insights into your work, or general professional development topics that the team is interested in, like public speaking or honing your negotiation skills.

We’ll walk you through the Play step-by-step here, and can’t wait to hear more about your teams' learning journeys. What topic do you think you’ll pitch to your team first? Do you already have a structured way of learning together?

Share your processes and ideas with us!

39 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2022

Thanks for sharing @Kristen Roth!  Funny enough our company does something very similar to the way this play is described on a regular cadence.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 18, 2022

Do you, @Jimmy Seddon ? That's great! What was the last topic you all learned about? And what's been your favorite so far?

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2022

So this actually came as a result of trying to control how much time was spent on "Demo Day" of a sprint, talking about various new technologies that might have been incorporated into our environment.

Every Thursday, we have a standing meeting for people to share what they have learned about something (both the good and the bad) as well as give others to opportunity to ask questions both about, why we decided on what we did, where we see this going in the future, how other teams can get started if they are interested in following suit, etc.

One of the recent interesting talks was done by a team working putting our entire development environment inside a docker container to reduce the local setup and install requirements.

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
February 18, 2022

Wow. That Thursday standing meeting sounds awesome. I'm sure we all have impactful experiences each week (each day?!) that we just forget about as we keep chugging along. Carving out time to purposefully remember and share those experiences on a weekly basis is such great idea!

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2022

Thanks for sharing, @Kristen Roth ! This play is definitely going to be useful for any team's skills development. Unfortunately, in my current company and role, I don't have a team and I only work as an Atlassian SME to provide and/or implement services for our clients. But, I wish I get to work with a team in future where we can together learn from each other using such plays.

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth
Community Manager
February 18, 2022

We're glad to have you here in the Community,  @Taranjeet Singh! It's also a great place to learn from each other :)

Like Taranjeet Singh likes this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2022

Agreed! That's a valid point and this Community is currently my only team where I get to share and learn things from.

Thanks, @Kristen Roth !

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2022

@Kristen Roth thank you for sharing. Totally agree with this playbook.

Darryl Lee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2022

Thanks for sharing @Kristen Roth !

Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2022

Nice article. Thanks for sharing @Kristen Roth 

Belto
Atlassian Team
March 23, 2022

Thanks for sharing @Kristen Roth 

Elizabeth Barr
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2022

Continuous learning is so crucial for success, individually and as a team. Love it!

Like # people like this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2022

@Elizabeth Barr Agreed. Learning never ends. :) 

Like Elizabeth Barr likes this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2023

agree!

Łukasz Modzelewski _TTPSC_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 15, 2022

We used to do it, but at some point we stopped. This organised play will help us get back on track :) @Kristen Roth Thanks for sharing!

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2022

Nice article ;)

Like Srinatha T likes this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
April 30, 2022

Hey @Kristen Roth  , again great article but do you have any article on how to encourage a fellow colleague who is kind of introvert and make him speak confidently in a group.  ? 

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
May 2, 2022

Hi @Srinatha T! I can't think of any articles on that topic in particular, but I do think this would make for a great discussion here in our Teamwork Lab group! Are you open to starting one? 👇

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/Teamwork-Labforum-board

It would be great to get advice and hear personal experiences from others in this group!

Wouter Bruinings
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2022

We have a great learning culture at the company where I work. Quarterly we can follow trainings and some days to learn new things. Every sprint we take actions from our refinements to get a little better each iteration.

Kristen Roth
Community Manager
May 16, 2022

That's so great to hear, @Wouter Bruinings! Do a lot of your coworkers participate in the continuous learning opportunities? 

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2022

Excellent article!

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2022

Great article @Kristen Roth 

I do something similar with my team to gauge our strengths and weaknesses, but overall I am lucky and have a great team. We finish almost every sprint with all features/stories complete. It is rare we have any carry over, so I think my team is very cohesive and strong. 

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2022

I couldn't agree more, group learning creates bonding.

Okan Erdogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Boils down to sharing which is caring and also learning! 

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2022

Great post, I treat each and every engagement as a learning opportunity.

Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2022

Learning is the only way to success

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

This looks like a great idea, will have to give it a try!

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2022

Great Article @Kristen Roth thanks for sharing. 

Zulfiqar Bin Zafar
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 16, 2022

Yeah learning new things and implementing into the work always helps to grow with you

YogeshKR
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2022

Nice Idea! Thanks for sharing 

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2022

I absolutely agree, #alwaysbelearning!

My energy comes from sharing experiences and blockers with colleagues, helping each other getting a different view on the matter.

Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2022

I would say learning new things are fuel to your growth, if you stop learning, you feel burnt out, and even worst, you will not be motivated enough to take the next step. In our company, we usually have quarterly goals to learn something new

Jonathan V. November 22, 2022

Interestingly, I had done this once or twice with my team, but never as structured as the play describes, and never on a regular on-going basis. 

This is definitely something I see myself wanting to do with the team, especially since I am working on us being more cross-functional.

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2022

Haven't done this yet, but this seems very interesting.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events