Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play of the Month: What’s your favorite Atlassian Play? Join the discussion to get a badge!

Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2024

Hi there! 👋 I’m Lauren, the new Senior Content Marketing Manager for the Atlassian Team Playbook. My goal is to make the Team Playbook your trusted teamwork resource by sharing the most effective, evidence-based practices so you can work better, not harder. Expect to see new Plays, updates to your favorites, and a glow-up to the Playbook site very, very soon!

In the Atlassian Team Playbook, we have a huge array of workshops - which we call Plays - to run to build strong teams. Some of our Plays are designed for project planning, while others can be used for debriefing - plus many more aims!

We’re re-launching our Play of the Month community discussions, starting right here!

Have you used any of our Plays before? We’d love to hear about your experience, and if you have a favorite play that you’ve run! I’m a big fan of our User Manual Play because letting people know how you work best helps set and manage expectations right away. This leads to better working relationships, which benefits every team!

If you haven’t used our Plays before or if you’re looking for a new one, maybe you’d like to share how you’d like to improve your team. We can then try to make some Play suggestions for you!

Once you’ve added a comment below, you’ll receive a brand new Starting Play kudos badge!

Starting Play v3.png

Every month we’ll be starting a new Play of the Month discussion, and once you’ve commented on five discussion posts, you’ll receive the Play as a Team badge.

Play as a Team v3.png

We’re so excited to hear from you! 🌟

19 comments

Comment

Sandra Franchetto September 4, 2024

Hi Lauren. Absolutely love this concept. I'm definitely going to play. I really need some fun in my life now that I have removed other people's drama. BTW Atlassian and its team rock.🤘 Speaking of fun and happiness. I describe Atlassian as the happiest place on earth. I've heard it said Disneyland is the happiest place on earth. 2 great maths formulas I've created are Atlassian + Disneyland + happiness and fun * 2 = Atlassianland and Life Learn Do + Disneyland..... I was once told Utopia doesn't exist. Technically that is correct cause it should Utopia * 2 = Utopias. As someone who is now often being called the Aussie Oprah because of my magical metaphysical powers that transfer to others I'll just start pointing and saying ' you get a Utopia, you get a Utopia, you get a Utopia'. 😅🤣😂🙃🤞👈👉👆🖕💫💥👏👏👏🫶

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2024

@Sandra Franchetto Every team could use an Aussie Oprah!

Like Sandra Franchetto likes this
Idrees Ashraf
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 4, 2024

Nice 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 

Like # people like this
emmanuelpeter866 September 4, 2024

Congratulations Lauren 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2024

Fun! My favorite play is definitely User Manuals. While we didn't use the Atlassian template, we did run the play and learned a ton about each other. I think it's probably time to give them a refresh!

My second favorite is Roles and Responsibilities. I work with multiple teams and it's really helped us all understand each other's responsibilities better. 

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 5, 2024

@Amanda Barber I also use R&R a lot! Especially when starting new projects or working with other teams!

Like # people like this
Linda Bassett
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 4, 2024

I haven't used any plays before but keen to do so. 

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2024

Haven't used any plays just yet, but I'm looking forward to the sprint/project retrospective we're planning at the end of the month once we reach the end of one migration project 👀

Also, curious to see all the new plays and updates that are coming up 🙂 

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 5, 2024

@Tomislav Tobijas excited to hear how your retro goes!

Like # people like this
Johanna-Tappointment
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 5, 2024

Sounds nice! 

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2024

Sparring can be a good play, especially if you're on a team that has many different perspectives.

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 5, 2024

@Dan Breyen Agreed! Sparring in a formal way is great for working through differences.

Like Angelie Stephens likes this
Haunani Nakabara September 5, 2024

Looking forward to the restart and learning more!

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2024

Hi @Lauren McGoodwin  - thank you for drawing attention to the Playbook by incorporating a Play of the Month. 

My favorite is probably the Health Monitor. With many, if not most, teams now being distributed - maybe even across continents, team health checks are important to keep everyone engaged and increase communication and collaboration. 

Like # people like this
roumaissa hamidi September 10, 2024

Hi, I find this concept really interesting.

Tutuapp

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 10, 2024

@John Funk definitely one of our most popular Plays for a good reason!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2024

I like the Team Shaping plays: Working Agreements is my favorite.

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 11, 2024

@Dave Mathijs I haven't personally tried that one yet but adding to the top of my list now!

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2024

I don't know if this is really my favorite but I really appreciate it and that is Escalating issues cleanly.  https://www.atlassian.com/team-playbook/plays/clean-escalations  I think that escalating issues is something that everyone runs into some challenges at any given time.  This is a great way to navigate it with your team or leadership team.

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 11, 2024

Absolutely and good point @Brant Schroeder

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2024

@Lauren McGoodwin 

Good information, thanks for sharing.

Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2024

Ooohh.  User Manuals!  I didn't know about that one ~ time to revisit the Plays list.  I've gotten a lot of use out of the Retrospective Plays.  Introducing them to our users has been game-changing.  We found a lot more engagement with our product teams and we've definitely seen continuous improvement.  So glad we are revisiting the Plays of the Month discussions ~ thank you, @Lauren McGoodwin

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2024

@Laurie Sciutti this is great to hear!

Like # people like this
Liz Tanner September 29, 2024

I have never run any of the Plays before--I'm solo right now, no team, no gig. But, if I had a team, I'd set up a Play package w/ three, in this order: "Goals, Signals, Metrics"; "CheckOps"; and "Change Management." There is so much operational waste in departments that don't do a health/relevance check of how they operate. Checking dept. ops goes beyond DevOps; depts should be checking for ops waste/revenue leaks too at least once a FY.

For solo: "Customer Interview"; "Contextual Inquiry"; and "Customer Journey Mapping." Freelance training devs have a bad habit of overdevving content--the deliverables fit project scope but are way more training product than client needed. Clients find out too after they've bought and are NOT using the unneeded stuff! The Customer Plays have excellent freelancer tools, methods, and tips to quickly define/determine client/customer personas, forming a client-eDev collaboration to create products more precisely to a client's needs, and getting end-of-project feedback w/o begging. 

These three customer-related Plays are the ones I am already planning on trying out!

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
September 30, 2024

Hi @Liz Tanner
Thanks for sharing and really fun to see your POV on which Plays to use at which times, the specific teams, etc. 

Like Liz Tanner likes this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2024

Hi @Lauren McGoodwin 

Wonderful topic to start play from here itself. 

I would like to play by doing R&D for integrating Atlassian tools with different third party tools where we can help them to get their required KPI displayed as dashboards. 

Second one would be implementing new technologies with problem solving. 

Vikram P 

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2024

I love Ritual Reset! excited to watch this group and see more about the Plays 😀

Like # people like this
Lauren McGoodwin
Atlassian Team
October 1, 2024

@carolyn french adding Ritual Reset to my list of Plays to try!

Like carolyn french likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2024

Let me know what you think!

@Lauren McGoodwin 

Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2024

I'm enjoying the relaunch, however I'm about a month behind.

Dick
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2024

Hi Lauren,
I'm curious to improve my team as it's currently in shambles.

Stumbled across this, and care enough to try... :)

Dick

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events