Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Practice November #2: swap a "sorry" for a "thank you"

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2022

[Week 2 challenge: week of November 6] 

When acknowledging that a situation could have been better, replace (or add on to) an apology with gratitude For teammates.

Challenge 2.jpeg

Examples:

• If you're starting a meeting a minute or two later than expected, try "thanks for your patience with our technical difficulties."
  • If you understood direction differently than someone else, try "thank you for understanding that interpreted this differently."
  • If someone apologizes to you, no need to even the stakes and apologize yourself (unless you want to) out of reciprocity. Try thanking that teammate for sharing what they said and offer how that made you feel.

After doing this at least once or twice THIS WEEK, let us know in the comments how it went. Describe the situation and how you felt afterwards.

Special thanks to @Bhanu for sharing a similar idea for inspiration.

About New Practice November 2022:

Each week during November, we prompted this group to adopt a work behavior for that week. At the end of the challenge week, we shared our reflections in the post's comments. 

Even though the prompts for the month are over, feel free to continue sharing your reflections as this discussion will be available well after New Practice November 2022. Thanks to all who have and will participate!

55 comments

Comment

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2022

Really cool challenge @Christine P. Dela Rosa 
Remembering the importance of those "little things" in language and the impact they can have is all too easy to overlook in a corporate environment. 
Things like;

• Remembering to ask "if now is a good time" before interrupting someone from their work (an advantage of remote working, people tend to enquire via a messaging channel before cold calling)
  • Saying things like, "I'd like to speak with you" as opposed to "I'd like to speak to you" (especially if you are their line manager or higher up in the corporate structure
  • Expressing gratitude not only as a swap or add-on to sorry, but simply when something someone has done deserves appreciation (again, it can be easy to forget to acknowledge the good stuff people do on a day to day basis)
Like # people like this
Chrissy Clements November 6, 2022

Replacing an apology, do you know how hard this is for someone originally from the UK?  We're sorry for EVERYTHING.

brit-1-sorry-thanks-both-brits-somehow-know-s-happening-04042015-2153-6375-retweets-8229-favourites.jpg

Sorry! :) 

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2022

Thank you for sharing, this really made me laugh.

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2022

Hahaha, while funny, I think our cultural norms have a lot to do with why this challenge is so hard.

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2022

it is so funny while reading but different culture have different meaning, 

Like # people like this
Heydi Menéndez November 29, 2022

Soo great!

Like # people like this
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2022

Great tip for positive collaboration, it's always about people

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2022

I've learned to adopt this tip previously and it has helped me a lot.

Acknowledging mistakes AND thanking people for their honest feedback.

This week, I thanked a team member for their honest feedback (both positive and negative) on a 360 degrees peer feedback form in preparation of a performance review.

The team member openly shared his feedback in advance with me in a short 1-1 talk. This helped me to understand the written words and clarify the context. Although it didn't concern an apology, I personally thanked him for having the courage to do this.

Being open to feedback and not getting defensive over it or taking it personally really helps you to grow.

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

Well said!

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2022

Collaboration is at the base for a good team. Gratitude and costant support are the key for a powerful team. 

Stress and pressure often lead us to go against our teammates but this is the biggest mistake that can be made. It lowers productivity, puts you on the defensive and goes against proactivity. On the other hand, advising, training, collaborating and, above all, thanking you for your efforts create a high-performance and close-knit team and make your working days less stressful.

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2022

Wow! that wasn't easy but it was worth trying.

Today,

• I said, "Thank God it's Monday!"
  • I was one minute late to an online waiting and thanked the teammates for their patience :) 
  • When I checked the pipeline, I thanked the team that all automated tests passed except two (I usually do the other way round and ask why those failed)

then I gave up, it is too much for me :)

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

You don't have to do it all the time, especially in the beginning. Honestly, the fact that you did it shows a lot of courage and commitment. So proud of you for the times you've tried out the challenge already :)

Like # people like this
Deepak Rai
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2022

Thanks for sharing this. Amazing!!

Like Christine P. Dela Rosa likes this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2022

good idea and good tip, 

I always say sorry as per busy work schedule for all users who message me.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

What happens when you add on or replace the sorry with a thanks? Tell us what happens on how your teammates respond and how you feel afterwards :)

Ami Chitwood November 8, 2022

I'm continuing to struggle with this challenge. Today will be the day for me.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

I believe in you!

Like Ami Chitwood likes this

I did it! Kind-of - @Monique vdB helped me out and gave me a do-over! 

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

LOL I'm very intrigued. Tell us the story please :)

Like Monique vdB likes this

Sure! Monique agreed to a coffee chat today to talk community, and, having realized we were 4 minutes over, I immediately said "sorry for taking us over," and then I caught myself and said, "Darn it, I'm not supposed to apologize b/c I agreed to week 2's challenge," and Monique said," you could say, thank you for going over, "and I then said, "Thank you for going over today - I really enjoyed our conversation."

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

Your story showed both difficulty + success in the challenge. Great job!

Like # people like this

And the importance of team and accountability! We can't change behavior alone! Thank you for the challenge!

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

Great point! I think if a team had the awareness, they could support each other in normalizing practices like this.

Like Ami Chitwood likes this

Agreed - why goals should be shared, IMHO...

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Thanks, this is a great reminder for me. I naturally just apologize if like my screen share or video call has issues. or just recently I've been apologize for my heater noise being loud during a meeting. :)

Not sure how I felt during the challenge but after I felt positive. 

-Ben

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

Oh good, @Benjamin ! When you naturally apologized for your tech or noise issues, were you able to express thanks to yourself or your team? Either way, I'm glad you felt positive afterwards.

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Thanks @Christine P. Dela Rosa . I express thanks to the team by saying thanks for bearing with the noise. I'll put myself on mute for the time being while I turn off the heater. 

-Ben

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

Great idea @Christine P. Dela Rosa 

This morning I was chatting with my coworker about a reorganization that is occurring within IT at our company and she was very discouraged and frustrated over the lack of communication coming down to us from the IT Organization. She kept apologizing to me and instead of apologizing back, I told her "No need to apologize. I thank you for sharing with me how you feel and I definitely feel your pain." This way I was relating to her since I am in the same boat as her. 

In another situation this morning, I wrote a user story and it was incorrect. My front end developer told me what the issue was and I fixed it. I did not apologize, but instead thanked him for letting me know and told him I appreciate his hard work and effort. 

I'm going to do my best to add this important practice into my daily life. I like most people feel as though I apologize to people too much. Heck, I even find I apologize to my cat too much! :)

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

Yes! Great examples, @Summer_Hogan.

I think the trend is to automatically apologize, sometimes with meaning and other times as a reflex. So, you're not alone in apologizing a lot...so much so that your cat gets the message as well haha.

But gratitude has shown to help us move forward more productively, whether its made on top of an apology or on its own.

Like Summer.Hogan likes this
Drew Garvey November 9, 2022

Great Challenge Idea!

Mike Hunsberger November 9, 2022

I tried this today in a meeting. I arrived late because another meeting ran late. Everyone was waiting for me to get started. I could feel the pressure to apologize, but instead thanked them for waiting patiently. It felt … good! 

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2022

Yes, we love to hear a success story!

Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2022

Thanks for sharing this. It might take some time for me to get used to saying thank you instead of sorry, but I tried it a couple of times, and it felt good. 

Stay awesome!

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 9, 2022

Ooh, tell us more about the couple times you've tried this week! Either how you got over the challenge of trying it or the reaction in the moment to the language switcheroo.

Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2022

I had a call with my colleagues to do a knowledge transfer session, during the call one of my colleagues said: "I am so sorry I still don't understand how it works", I said: "it is totally normal, thank you for being transparent and don't worry I have got your back". After that I explained the whole process again (with more details).

I will make this a habit of mine and I am definitely seeing its magic, using positive words takes you a long way.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2022

I missed what for me was a negligible deadline, but what for my teammates was more high stakes. This resulted in me needing to extend the deadline for response from the other party by a few days, which inconveniences my team members. I thanked them for being patient with me and supporting my decision to extend the deadline rather than apologize (or more likely, make excuses) for my missing the initial deadline.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2022

A relatable situation to be in. Thank you for sharing, @Andy Gladstone !

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

Indeed this is a tried and true practice. This is as, if not more, important in relationships as it is in your worklife. I forget to incorporate this into my communication at times and the implications are immediately obvious. 

this week's example

I was working on requirements for launching a new Jira project but missed a key requirement that resulted in a launch delay. During the launch readiness I apologized for the miss and thanked the team for their patience. The team was very understanding. In the end the 1 day delay was manageable and the team has been happy with the results.

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2022

Totally, @Jack Brickey. A great way to keep momentum going in this case, where sometimes language can reframe news as less manageable than it ends up being. I'm projecting a little, but hopefully that was true for your example as well! 

Like Jack Brickey likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

This week I adopted a new practice to encourage others (not exactly the assignment, but related). Someone said "Sorry, I can't make it" and I responded with "No need to apologize - I'm grateful for your work in this area." (paraphrased) I didn't want to invalidate their feeling of regret for not being able to come, but also I wanted to make sure they knew that they were an essential contributor regardless. I think it landed well. So maybe less future sorrys (sorries?) out in the world at large?

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2022

I like that you're not trying to invalidate how someone else feels, @carolyn french

But there's probably something to normalizing that there needn't be an immediate verbal apology. So maybe for the next time that person instinctually apologizes (as opposed to expressing sorrow they actually feel, which may be different from what they were feeling like in your example), they might remember this moment.

Good variation :)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

I tried, but I struggled.

Like @Chrissy Clements , I'm British, so everything starts with an apology.

Breaking that pattern was not where I struggled though - the problem was with perceived interpretation. 

Telling a Brit "thank you for your patience" can easily be seen as sarcastic or even mocking. 

And "thank you for understanding that I interpreted this differently." - that screams "It is you who are still wrong, and I am trying to avoid telling you that in the interests of keeping the peace"

The middle-ground for me is to lead with an explanation rather than an apology or attempt to say there's been a problem on either side.  It's quite hard, but it seems ok.  I'll keep trying.

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2022

I think that's fair, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- !

Is there a way, to your point, to get underneath the spirit of the challenge? Some people apologize for any action that's different from the norm, even if justified, like a knee-jerk reaction. So the next time you have an impulse to do so (which sounds like all the time haha), what if you still continued with the geographic/cultural norm and apologized, but in addition to it, added a way to express gratitude? Perhaps that would reduce the chance of the recipient thinking they're still in the wrong and genuinely would feel the appreciation.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

Thanks for the post and the challenge, Christine. You posts, as always, are refreshing.  I'm a big fan of feedback and I want to keep it coming no matter what. So even if I don't completely agree I always respond with a 'thank you' and a smile. 

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2022

There's definitely always room for appreciation for people sharing different opinions, assuming they are productive opinions. Nice, @Carlos Garcia Navarro !

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2022

Does this one also count?
"Sorry that you must do the work twice because you didn't listen to me before"

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2022

Not quite the intent of this challenge, but I can understand the frustration of misunderstanding.

Jonathan V. November 14, 2022

@Christine P. Dela Rosa I tried this after having run late for a meeting, and I feel like those who were present and on-time for the meeting appreciated it.

I feel as if it makes them feel appreciated, and that I wasn't taking their time for granted.

It seemed to allow for more open communication during the meeting.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2022

What an immediate result. Wow! I expected some impact on an emotional level for participants, but not necessarily impact, at least not immediately, on those engaged with. Nice :)

Sedera Randria
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2022

Is it by listening to me that my children apologize a lot to themselves?
A small change with potentially a big impact for me, my children and for others.

I tried to pay more attention to what I say. It may take a while to make it a habit, but thanks for the challenge :-)

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2022

I wasn't considering the impact of these challenges on non-work people, but that's a great point, @Sedera Randria

Sakina
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2022

@Sedera Randria it 100% true our children will surely do what we do 

Like Sedera Randria likes this
Lauren Allen November 14, 2022

I run online training and often find myself falling into the trap of apologising for technical difficulties that sometimes arise. Last week I switched that to Thanks for your patience when explaing that the issues they are having are technical and not their fault either. 

It actually felt much more appropriate and I wondered why I haven't been saying this all along!  

Thank you for the suggestion 

Like # people like this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 15, 2022

So glad to hear that, @Lauren Allen!

Zulfiqar Bin Zafar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2022

Worth reading, how you can change the words and make the situation even better.

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2022

@Christine P. Dela Rosa 

I did try this couple of times, one last week and another one this week.

In the first instance, I was a bit late to the call where one of my colleagues had to take over and lead which I was supposed to initiate and when I joined, instead of apologizing to the entire audience, once he completed his part, I continued with saying "Thank you for taking the lead on this one and I would like you to continue" as we were on the same page.

In the second one, the one person in the meeting did not stop is talk at all, he was saying his observations and no one couldn't stop as well. That's where I stepped in and said "Thank you for valuable points, but there are people who have joined to share their perspectives as well, let';'s hear from them as well" and continued to be another great meeting!!

It puts us in the positive mode, where we don't need to feel sorry for ourselves, instead grateful for something by saying Thank you!!

Thanks,
Pramodh

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 15, 2022

Two different but great examples, @Pramodh M. You acknowledged value for the person/what was said but also switched gears :)

Like Pramodh M likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events