[Mid-week slump bump] What's the best piece of teamwork-related advice you've ever heard?

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2021

If we all share just one thing, we could use this discussion thread as a free coaching session for future readers! 

advicejason.gif

10 comments

Comment

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2021

If you care about your team's performance, then you should care about your team's health.

Like # people like this
Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2021

If every single person likes you, you're a bad Scrum Master.

Margareta Buruian November 10, 2021

There is an element of truth in that for sure in any management role though I think you can have everyone respect you and still be good at what you do. 

Like Mel Policicchio likes this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2021

As a people pleaser by nature, I grapple with the conflict that often comes with doing what will make people happy (in the moment) and what I think is the right thing to do. There's so much intention we need to have, so much decision-making involved in working with others lol.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2021

I have heard this one inverted: "Scrum Masters are not happiness coaches".

Margareta Buruian November 10, 2021

Listen. Actively listen. 

That's it, the amount of times people are distracted or not 100% there in a meeting, 121, a conversation is incredible and those on the receiving end can tell. 

For me, to truly engage is to care and it makes a big difference to teams and culture. 

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2021

Active listening is one of those things that we love to experience on the receiving end but tend to do less when we're on the giving end. Something I need to focus on every day.

Mel Policicchio
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2021

Learn to be honest with yourself about which coworkers you like working with and which coworkers you like playing with!

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2021

As much as we learn about our teammates, I think working with others also teaches me a lot about myself! Great reminder.

Jenny Kim
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2021

At the end of the day, you're gonna remember your best teams by the feelings associated with those people. Not the launches or the budgets, but how y'all behaved. Great teamwork is about being good humans.

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2021

<3 This is basically my goodbye speech at the end of every company I've left. And then I proceed to tell everyone what I remember about them. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2021

How about a "better" one rather than "best"?  (I don't believe in best practices, only better ones than what are currently doing  :^)

• When pondering something impacting the team, "take it to the team".
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2021

We've seen a ton of research recently on a substantial (not majority, but substantial) amount of individual contributors feeling like they aren't part of decision-making. And that they wish they could be.

So "taking it to the team" is so lovely to see.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2021

"This not about me, this is not about you, we all are in this project. Either we fail or succeed together."

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2021

Thinking of yourselves as a team unit versus a bunch of individuals is key. Mmhmm.

Like Fadoua likes this
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2021

There is a french expression : "Better/Best" is the enemy of "Good" (le mieux est l'ennemi du bien)

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2021

And vice versa as I think about Jim Collins' book "Good to Great" ;)

But yes @M Amine I think that just getting in there and trying new things is going to help way more than not doing anything and waiting around for the perfect fix that may never come.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2021

It's cheesy and a cliché, but 'There is no I in TEAM' is a truth that has always helped pull teams together. 

I had the opportunity to coach Junior High School Hockey from 2004-2011. There are so many lessons that I learned and used as a coach that are just as applicable in a professional setting as they are for 12-14 year old boys. 

1751989400-tumblr_mlk8n8xVzY1roykc8o5_250

Whenever I think about it, this quote and image come into my mind. If you focus on the TEAM and take your mind off the INDIVIDUAL, its a force multiplier - everyone's success is that much sweeter and celebrated together.

Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
December 19, 2021

I love seeing that lesson as a force multiplier! Great summary :)

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2021

'We are each others strength'; I thought it is cheesy when I first heard it but later realised that it is actually true!!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events