Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever experience a time when teamwork could have been or became more equitable? Tell us about it.

Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2023

Tell us your teamwork story.jpeg

When it comes to teamwork, there are a lot of things that can help us be included, feel seen or unseen, or be in or out of the loop. Sometimes, all it takes is one teammate communicating one thing. But when these occurrences happen on a regular basis, especially at a scalable level, it's because of something on a systemic level.

Does this make you think of anything you've experienced in the past, where there was a disparity in the ways some groups of employees took part in collaboration compared to others?

We'd like to learn about how you all have experienced inequities in teamwork, or even, experienced a more equitable approach to teamwork after a change was made. It could be a memory from the past, in a professional setting or not, within a formal group like a sports team or an informal one like a one-time volunteer experience. 

Share your story, in hopes that Teamwork Lab members can provide support or can perhaps apply your perspective to how they might be approaching teamwork today.

7 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2023

In my previous career as a teacher, I experienced this type of inequity regularly which I think is what ultimately pushed me to leave the career entirely rather than finding a new job. I worked in a school where each classroom was co-taught so it wasn't often visible as to who was doing the bulk of the work to keep things rolling. We were also a school where trying new and innovative approaches happened regularly, so it required effort to keep pushing forward. I tend to want things done quickly, and done "right", so I'd often take on more of the work rather than allowing my teammate to miss a deadline or fail at something. This is still something that I'm working on in my role, but it's been a bit easier since allowing failures now doesn't feel like it so heavily reflects on me, nor does it impact students directly. 

I am currently reading Crucial Conversations and wishing I had the tools from the book in my toolbox years ago to ensure that I could have had direct communication around what I was feeling - and potentially have made a positive impact on our collaboration, communication and overall friendship.

Like # people like this
Omar Mohamed Fathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2023

love this

Like # people like this
Markku Miettunen April 5, 2023

Equity should be the first priority in all teamwork. Its the foundation of trust.

Like Christine P. Dela Rosa likes this
Sidar Yarar April 6, 2023

So far, I've always had the experience that the perspective on certain topics changes depending on which department the teams work in and what skills they have.

Here is a comparison to give you a better idea:

For example, the programmer's point of view is always a bit more rational and pragmatic compared to designers. Designers tend to approach issues more creatively and forcefully.

I think all perspectives are important and none is better or worse.

What do you think?

Michelle Yip May 15, 2023

Some meetings (Retros, Reflection sessions, etc) can be difficult when done virtually. But I've always found mindful listening and expressing genuine interest in a person's feedback to be excellent ways to keep even the most soft-spoken team members positively engaged in a session :) 

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2023

Good post

Emily _ DevSamurai
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 25, 2023

thanks for your input!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events