Dear Work Therapist: Is it bad that I'm dreaming about Jira?

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

Dear Work Therapist,

therapist.gif

This happened to me a couple of years ago, but I feel the need to get it out and seek guidance and help.  It was back in 2019, when I was first discovering Jira and before getting to know its full potential. At that point my daughter was just a couple of months old, and me and my wife needed to wake up every 2-3 hours to feed her. So as you can understand, I was in serious lack of sleep, vitamin C, D etc.

It was a cold February night at about 3 o'clock after midnight when I had already laid my aching body to rest. My wife was awake feeding our daughter when she approached me, woke me up and ask me a question about our daughter's milk. If I recall correct she asked me "Alex, how much milk did she drink on your watch?". I woke up rather "brutally" since I was in terrible need of sleep, and my natural reply to her was "Did you create an issue for that on Jira?". My wife in the first place she didn't understand what I was talking about. So she asked for further clarifications: "What is Jira, Alex?". So my second more natural reply to her was "Yeah....yeah... just create an issue on Jira and I'll look at it tomorrow".

Dear Work Therapist, am I ok? Am I doing something wrong, or am I speaking jibberish?

6 comments

Comment

Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2021

OMG, I'm still wondering if this is a joke or if it really happened.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

Nope, it's real :)

Like # people like this
Colum McAndrew October 14, 2021

LOL! At least it wasn't a nightmare :-) 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

No fortunately it wasn't! :)

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

That was my first question - was it a pleasant dream or a nightmare? Haha

I think anytime we are learning new things our brains have to process all of that while we sleep. My wife is a teacher and she used to talk in her sleep, and I would hear her grading papers in her sleep - no joke!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

It wasn't a dream :)

I totally agree about the processing thing. Lol about your wife grading papers! This had to be both fun and scary (to listen in the middle of the night)!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

Yes!  :-)

Like # people like this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

Love this and can relate.

I never really dream directly about Jira, but can often see that the dream was based on the thought process or analytical behaviour I've been wrapped in while tackling some Jira thing. These dreams certainly have been known to lead to just the epiphany I needed to conquer "the thing" the dream was obviously inspired by, so all good!!

Which now I'm writing/thinking about it....I guess this is just the same as anyone else who is passionate about their work. It seeps into their subconscious and manifests itself (in strange ways) in their dreams.

I have been known to think of Gary Numan – I Dream of Wires Lyrics | Genius Lyrics and giggle at the idea of "I dream of Jira".

Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

@Curt Holley I'll start by saying that I've read "I dream of WiNes" and I was like "ooohhh daaamn... how I miss drinking a couple glasses of wine!". But hey.. parenthood! Can't complain :)

It's true that at the time I was quite passionate about Jira (not that I'm not now, but) back then I was trying to setup something by learning on my own, while my responsibilities didn't include this. And as the "cherry on top" I was trying to educate all my dev colleagues to learn and to use Jira. So I was asking them that if they wanted from me, they had to document it within Jira. Hence the reply to my wife :D

Like Curt Holley likes this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 15, 2021

Not bad at all, keep chasing your dreams ;)

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2021

Excellent post! 

At home we are overwhelmed with all the school and after school activities that I was about to suggest we use confluence calendar to track all the recurring events.

Thankfully, my wife is super organized and pulled out an excel spreadsheet and got it done in 10 mins. 

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2021

as long as it is a dream and not a nightmare, it's healthy :)

keep up the good dreams :)

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2021

Cheers @M Amine! :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events