Continuous Learning

Dana M_ Jansen February 10, 2022

No matter how old you are - there's always something new to learn.

I've been working with the Atlassian products a LONG time (2006) 99% of the time on the server/data center platform, and now 1% cloud and yet there is always something new to learn.

When someone asks me how I know so much, I always answer that I don't know anything.  I have found if i go into a situation, assuming nothing, then i always come out having learned something.  Even if it's confirmation, cementing something I already knew.

7 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2022

@Dana M_ Jansen I agree with you 100% on that learning is a continuous and never-ending process. There's always something new to learn whether it is our professional life or personal life. So, we should really be open-minded and ready to learn from both our seniors and juniors so that we can embrace new ideas/tools/techniques and keep ourselves updated with the ever changing world. 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2022

@Dana M_ Jansen I believe that is what makes life so great.  We all have the opportunity to learn in everything we do.  Being a better neighbor, friend, parent, work colleague, employee, etc. is what makes us grow.  Technology has made it so easy to learn if you want to.  Glad Atlassian has a great community for learning. 

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2022

Hear hear! I especially like your last line, @Dana M_ Jansen, because team dynamics, landscape, and tools change all the time. So just because you feel confident in something from before doesn't mean that confidence level should remain without continued reinforcement. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2022

Great topic @Dana M_ Jansen!

Continuous learning is extremely important to me, and working for an organization that encourages continuous learning.  Especially working in the technology field, if you aren't constantly keeping up to date with the new things coming out, you are falling behind.

I agree with your stance on things as well, assume you don't know anything and figure out what you actually know as confirmation.

Like # people like this
James Richards
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2022

Hi,

I know what I know, and I don't know what I don't know. When starting something and you become a but proficient, you think, yeah, I'm okay at this. And then you meet those who are really, really good at the thing. 10,000 hours study seems to be the accepted amount of time to become an expert in something.

James.

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this
Fabio Genovese
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2022

@Dana M_ Jansen This is my answer: I know a lot, but I still have more to learn. In Italian I usually said: Io so tante cose, ma ne devo ancora imparare.....

Life is an ongoing examination and every time we are called upon to solve a problem, it is just one step that will lead us to the next problem.

That is why you always learn, you learn from everything.

Like Christine P_ Dela Rosa likes this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2023

Don't stop learning.  Whether it's for something that your good at, bad at, or otherwise.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events