Work Check Podcast - Does your team need a regular No Meeting Day?

The latest Atlassian Work Check Podcast is out and it's another great one -Does your team need a regular No Meeting Day? Give a listen and weigh in with your own comments below. 

And as usual, lots of good arguments on both sides. I won't spoil who won the debate before you listen, but here's my take on the question. 

Organizations are full of different personalities, as is life. I think some people actually thrive on meetings and love the camaraderie and time together, even if things aren't all that productive sometimes. Others cringe at the thought of any type of meeting. 

So, to some extent, that might describe which side of the fence some people come down on. Another thing (as brought up in the podcast) is a question of control. Do I get to control my own time and schedule? Or should a full day be blocked out regardless?

work-check.png

For me, I think most organizations have too many meetings as a whole. Jira should be a great way to reduce if not eliminate most, if not all, status meetings. Your project status should be easily viewable in Jira. On the other hand, collaboration is essential. But do you really need meetings to force collaboration? Or should it happen organically between those involved? 

Is a full day of no meetings too much? I don't think so, but maybe there is a more flexible solution. Maybe have two 4 hour blocks of no meetings during the week instead of a single day. Let's face it, rarely will you need 8 full hours every week to solve a single problem. Just the fact that you have 8 focused hours of work time a week is huge. It's a Developer's dream and probably a Marketer's nightmare.   :-)

What are your thoughts? 

16 comments

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

I could be wrong, but I think it goes back to not having meetings for meeting sake.  Reviewing your meetings and eliminating redundancy should be acceptable in a work environment.  If a manager has 3 different status meetings with three different groups, then there's some potential to reduce meetings or explain the same information to all three groups in a different manner. (Using Jira!).  Give them a dashboard with the pertinent information, and potentially cancel all three meetings just bought you some time.

Like # people like this
Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

"Probably a marketer's nightmare" < I chuckled! I love having low- or no-meeting days to get through some nagging tasks and actually think about some of the strategic issues on my projects or brands. Right now I have overdue onboarding tasks for a part of our marketing tech stack that I need to get to, and a few hours uninterrupted is really the only way to tackle it. 

But, what you shared that I do really agree with is that some roles or projects might inherently need more collaboration and that different people are looking for different levels of social fulfillment from work. I think there's a difference between pulling people into a room for a check-in or some other meeting that might not need to happen vs. working directly with a colleague to solve a specific problem — I want flexibility to be able to have those momentum-critical conversations even if it's a "no meeting" day.

I'm also guilty of having a little less hustle on my no-meeting days, to be honest. I think setting and sharing clear, specific goals on what I need to get done/deliver can help me stay focused.

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

It depends on the situation actually. But as it is said, it depends on the personality rather than on the company policy of working.

I think I've been more for no meeting day before listening to the podcast. However, after hearing the pros and cons I think it's more about actually making these meetings you have more effective in order to reduce meeting hours. That's definitely what I'll aim for the future meetings as it was actually quite recently that I started to have my calendar sometimes overbooked and to do some 'actual' work after hours as that was the only time I could do some 'productive' work. Probably it would be a good idea to check Atlassian Team Playbook as there's some really good content there.

Anyhow, this was a really good episode. 👌 Would definitely recommend it to everyone who's struggling with having too many meetings.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

This was a great Work Check episode; actually one of my favorites! I have so many opinions about this topic, but the most prevalent one is unless your company mandates something, do what is best for you! 

I was involved in a conversation with our CEO recently and he gave some really good advice, which is don't be afraid to ask what the purpose of a meeting is and decline if it is not worth your time. He also asked each of us to think about how much money a meeting costs a company. If you have 10 people in a meeting and it is an hour, imagine what each of those peoples salary is and figure it out. I bet it is a lot of money. 

At my company we have what is called Focus Time where we are not allowed to schedule any meetings during this 5 hour block of time and we are also not supposed to chat or bother people during that time. It is so great and I love it! It really helps me get my heads down work done every week! Without the focus time, I would not be able to focus purely on work without being disrupted by a meeting coming up. 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

I always love this podcast! We implemented what has turned into "Less Meetings" Wednesdays about a year ago by request from our UX designer. As someone with ADHD, she was really pushing for some deep work time. Since she left, we've maintained this day, but sometimes there are still meetings scheduled. Our team uses the time to pair program if both parties wish to as well. We came up with some fun names for our day - "Slack Off Wednesday" (turn off Slack, don't slack off...), "Work Only Wednesday AKA WOW" :-D 

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2023

Thanks for sharing

Like # people like this
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2023

dreaming about a no meeting day :) 

Like # people like this
Sri Kumar
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2023

Thanks for sharing this. As someone who moved from one company ( where me and my team was following No Meeting Fridays) to a different company where the role recommends you be there for meeting on all days. It took me some time to adjust to the change. 
I try my best to educate my new Team and My customer about No meeting Fridays( As of now, I have been able to accomplish, Less Meeting Friday)

Like # people like this
Collista Lewingdon
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2023

I am a huge fan of this idea, and even try to have a majority of my meetings in one day. I did send a proposal to my team manager after listening to this podcast to see what he thinks about making this a team wide initiative. 

Like # people like this
Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2023

In my previous organization we used to have No Meetings Friday. This would give team members to quickly wrapup their work on time and have a bonding time with the team during the Happy Hours

Like # people like this
Fabrice Huart - NSI
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 2, 2023

No meetings day is a great idea, how to really put it in practice on long run is a maybe more difficult.

Nevertheless, blocking agenda as OOO all the year, on one day per week (to be sure, nobody tries to put a meeting in a slot of that day ... :) ) is a good starting point.

This must also be discussed at team level for everyone to be aware of "No meeting day" practice.

It's also maybe more complex if you want all people of one team to have the same "no meeting day"

Interesting topic to discuss and try to apply ... free our agendas :) :)

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2023

During the covid years I was surprised how much could be achieved remotely, asynchronously and without meetings. Especially in the status department, indeed.

However, what also became very clear to me is that this requires a totally different way of working. Of individuals, but also as a team. Status updates are more than green or amber flags, creating transparency about what you (and your team) are working on requires really open work. I am getting more and more convinced that we should learn good ways to write down what we are working on, while we work to create a transparent and collaborative work environment, along with solid support from tools that help us find what matters. And that is not an easy exercise.

Hoping and assuming that we can make that work, a big +1 for less, but more team focused meetings. Getting together for creative work, getting stuff done and connecting are the main drivers I love to actually meet around.

Like # people like this
Dinesh Babu June 14, 2023

Thanks for sharing

Frederik Vantroys
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2023

Hi,

I like collecting nerd shirts and when there are too many meetings I start wearing the "I survived another meeting that should've been an e-mail" one :-)

The law of 2 feet can be a nice rule to implement if taken seriously : Whenever someone has a feeling in a meeting they can't contribute ... they are free to leave the meeting and do some actual work :-)

Charbel Jarjour August 23, 2023

Interesting topic to discuss, Thanks John!

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2023

First I love the idea and the post. Its great to focus time or no meeting days.

A few things I do especially on weeks where lots of Changes are needed.

Find my no meeting day and I put focus time on my calendar for that day. I would say that almost everybody respects it.
I than go ham on everything I can get done in 8 or 7 hours of work! :) My manager gets happy, I feel happy because I got work done, and most people get happiness because work is getting done.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events