Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Work Makes The Dream Work

Hey all!

Some time ago I saw this quote from Simon Sinek on twitter and it got stuck in my head. So now I’m sharing it with all of you in the hope that it connects with you too.

Simon-Sinek-Quote.png

In my opinion Simon hits the nail square on the head. Working on the same team doesn’t always imply working together. I’ve had plenty of experiences where people on the same team were actively working against each other instead of together. Sometimes this was because of malicious intent, often it simply was because they didn’t communicate properly or didn’t have a shared team goal and shared understanding of their goal.

This of course has a massive negative impact on your team health and your team performance. All of which will have an impact on your business (lower moral, more turnover, higher HR costs) and customers (lower support quality, lower product quality, lower customer satisfaction).

I’ve also experienced the opposite where people on different teams came together organically, worked together towards a shared goal, and did amazing things. The key differentiators I saw between these two very different types of teams weere pretty simple:

• Shared team goals that are clearly defined and understood by all.

• Structured and open communication between all team members.

• Having the team be a safe space to learn.

What comes to your mind when you read this quote? Let me know in the comments!

9 comments

Alex Barnaba January 27, 2023

I love this! Thank you for sharing!

Like Peter Van de Voorde likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2023

I still find inspiration in (Overcoming) the Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni:

1. Build trust
  2. Engage in constructive conflict
  3. Ensure commitment
  4. Ensure accountability
  5. Focus on results
Like # people like this
rubyann_bunagan January 27, 2023

100% agree... thanks for sharing.

Like Peter Van de Voorde likes this
Chris Boys January 30, 2023

@Dave Mathijs I love this book!  Such a formative read for anyone looking at another frame on the pillars of performance.  Thanks for reminding me.  Must go and have a refresh...

Leonid Karalis February 2, 2023

Agree it.  Thank you!

We'd love to hear from you. What opportunities can there be for me?
Your comments have been very helpful.
If you want to build a team with members with no skill differences and develop teamwork, where should you start?

Airyn
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2023

Reading his book, Start with the Why

Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2023

Love this! thanks for sharing

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

Agree.  Patrick Lencioni is a great resource on many business topics including teamwork.

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2023

Thank you for sharing. Good post.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events