Listening out loud: how Dave Liao works on distributed teams

The start of the COVID-19 pandemic served as a forcing function to re-evaluate the way teams worked together. In fact, many companies are re-learning how to collaborate with their teams. As some move towards being a fully distributed workforce, Atlassian included, we are interviewing those who have worked on distributed teams before so that we may learn insights and share them with customers along the way.

In the first interview in the 2020 "Listening Out Loud" series, Dave Liao, an Enterprise Tools Administrator, discusses his practices while working on distributed teams. A few themes from our chat included:

• Working agreements between team members require upfront and continuous feedback on what each team members need. Examples teams may want to discuss include: schedules, communication channel preferences, how decisions should be made.
  • Documentation is helpful not just for processes, but for understanding what is happening across projects so that different team members can stay in the loop. Plus, documentation will not only bring team cohesion within a team (assuming it's in a place people access easily), but will help teams of the future understand how a project worked.
  • The new takes time and not everyone will learn at the same pace. However, perseverance + empathy for behavior adoption will help in the long-game.

___

Look out for these "Listening Out Loud" share outs every Wednesday on Atlassian Community. If you're interested in sharing your insights with us, comment here or email me at cdelarosa@atlassian.com and I'll reach out!

5 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

This is a fantastic idea! I'm definitely going to check these out.

Kudos @Dave Liao!

Thank you for putting this together @Christine P_ Dela Rosa!

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

@Christine P_ Dela Rosa - wow, you folks were fast with the turnaround on this.

Thanks for including me as part of your series!

Like # people like this
Cassie Mayes
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 16, 2020

Hey! It's @Dave Liao :) Thanks for sharing your insights and speaking on the importance of communication.

And kudos to @Christine P_ Dela Rosa for putting this together. I'm looking forward to this series.

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2020

@Dave Liao Go, Dave, go! 🎉

Like Dave Liao likes this
pargab sala September 18, 2020

I am interested in sharing insight with you.😀

Like Dave Liao likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events