Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

💬 Let's discuss how Strategic Guidance can help your team achieve their goals

Teams today are distributed around the world. And, with the onset of remote work, people are finding it more difficult to see how their work connects to the larger goals of their organization. In fact, only 32% of employees are actually engaged. That’s down 4% over the last two years!

Creating a shared understanding - that feeling where everyone on the team understands their mission, purpose, and what needs to get done to deliver on goals— is critical to building high-performing, effective teams. 

In order to improve a team’s shared understanding, leaders must first provide them an understanding of the problem they are trying to solve, what success looks like, and who will benefit from it. At Atlassian, we call this Strategic Guidance!

The Atlassian Work Futurists have curated a set of Strategic Guidance plays designed to help leaders create a compelling strategy and guide their team towards achieving their goals. Those plays are:

Each play contains expert facilitation trips, tricks, and examples to make your play a success.

However, there’s a lot we can share and learn from each other. That’s the purpose of this post. We’ve created a series of videos to help you understand the Strategic Guidance plays and how to facilitate them. Take a moment to watch the videos (about 30 minutes). Then, return to this post and comment below to discuss which Strategic Guidance plays you intend to run with your team.

Here’s the prompt: Name at least one of the Strategic Guidance plays you intend to run with your team. Explain why and how.

Community Activity_v1.png

If you're enrolled in the Atlassian University course on How to Build Strategic Guidance...once you've shared your comment below, return to your Atlassian University browser tab to complete the course.

If you're not enrolled in the full course, but would like to be, click here to enroll for free. 

Thanks all! Looking forward to reading your thoughts and ideas.

237 comments

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2023

Thanks for your thoughts on this @Becky Mueller And, thank you for providing specific references to the external info you site and build upon.

And for those looking for more details/techniques on journey mapping, I suggest reading User Story Mapping by Jeff Patton.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like • # people like this
Becky Mueller
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2023

You're welcome, @Bill Sheboy ! Let us know if you run any of these plays with your team!

Like • Summer.Hogan likes this
RJ Stafos September 5, 2023

Really enjoy the Goals, Signals, and Measures template and intend to utilize that as part of our new direction. 

Bob Hannau September 6, 2023

I plan to run the DACI play with my team. We are a small group with clearly defined roles that will benefit from this play. This play can become part of the intake process for every request received from our stakeholders.

Pankaj Dheer September 10, 2023

Effective communication is the most important part of teamwork. It involves consistently updating each person and never assuming that everyone has the same information

Ravi N September 10, 2023

I go with  DACI  with my unit. We are a tiny group with pre decided goals of our roles , can take help of this play to  track the progress.

nikita.tripathi September 11, 2023

I am excited to bring the Goal, Signal, Measures Strategy, and DACI to my team. I would like to involve the entire team in decision making and the development of a strategy for the new customer added to our team's scope.

Rebecca Jensen September 11, 2023

The Customer Journey mapping is a great collaboration tool for getting to understand the persona and the key experiences for the journey.

I have used RACI before but plan to run the DACI with focus on the plan creation as this is as important as creating the topics that need decisions.

Desmond Fahie September 12, 2023

Hello my name is Desmond Fahie and I am planning on implementing the vision creation play within my organization to give everyone clarity on what we are trying to accomplish and how.  

Like • Becky Mueller likes this
Craig Oliver September 13, 2023

I plan on using DACI on upcoming projects to get things rolling with the team! Deciding on roles early is critical and I always enjoy reviewing roles and responsibilities as work continues to ensure proper alignment exists!

Tyler Sellhorn September 13, 2023

"Name at least one of the Strategic Guidance plays you intend to run with your team. Explain why and how."

I am planning to run the Customer Journey Mapping play with my team because I am hoping to discover opportunities for user-generated content and peer-led learning experiences to develop deeper connections with our products and increase adoption of our new features.

VASAVI I September 15, 2023

I am planning to implement how to run the vision creation play and show the team what the customer want.

Thanks

Vas

Carlos H. Ramirez Montero September 18, 2023

I liked a lot the course. I need to use the DACI with my teams to help the org to have a crear structure from now on related to those roles

Luís Fernandes September 19, 2023

Hi, great learnings, as usual :) Planning on using the DACI way more than expected. Cheers!

Danio September 19, 2023

Hi! I plan on introducing Goals, Signals and Measures as well as DACI into my projects. As I am currently using Visual Creation, I believe that combing all of them should make our work more transparent (previously, I can see some flaws of the way I was presenting data). Have a good day!

Neha Ghazi September 19, 2023

Its time to try Customer Journey Mapping.. Thanks Atlassian :)

ahirat September 19, 2023

I plan to run the Customer Journey Mapping with my team to experience the process from our customer's perspective and understand our customer's pain points. As a team, we can discuss solutions to improve the user's experience. 

Mary_Helmer September 19, 2023

I think vision creation, Goals, Signals and Measures is a good start to remind our team of why we do the work we do. 

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2023

A couple of our teams could really benefit from the Goals, Signals, and Measures Plays. I think I may use it with our Operations team and engineers to get into some internal reporting inconsistencies we're working on.

Robert Edgar September 19, 2023

I plan to utilise the DACI play. We are a newly formed project team operating in a complex, matrix organisation so clarity around roles is a current challenge 

Theresa Corcoran September 19, 2023

At my organization, we are currently struggling with a high-dollar tool purchase and selecting the right product for moving forward,  We have been stuck in the decision-making process due to "death by committee" for almost a year now.  I intend to use the DACI play to help focus the team and to clarify how was can actually REACH a decision (one decision maker)!  In watching the video, I realized that we are trying to get buy-in from too many "I's" and "C's", without putting anyone on the hook for the final decision.

Alexander Vorndran September 19, 2023

A more transparent decision process and clear documentation of the final decision were two of the wishes I most often heard at a recent team event. So I think our team can get the most value out of the DACI play.

jeena_velasquez September 19, 2023

I intend to create a shared understanding amongst my team.  That will allow us to feel progressive on our daily goals while also creating a purpose.

Alyx Perry September 19, 2023

I think the DACI play will be the most useful for our team, we are in the middle of a long project that has had some recent turnover.  I think this will help identify the new players and their roles. 

Yogesh wankhede September 19, 2023

Very informative and useful course to work in a better manner 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events