Fail Tales: a storytelling event in celebration of failure

Psychological safety is the bedrock for inclusion and innovation. But many teams do not have high levels of psychological safety.

Amy Edmondson, Ph.D., HBS professor, and book author of The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth writes: “it isn’t about being nice. It’s about giving candid feedback, openly admitting mistakes, and learning from each other.”

We are holding a celebration of failure. An event that uses the intimacy of storytelling to change attitudes towards trying new things, change beliefs about ourselves, and ultimately, change the culture of work.

• July 26, 10am Pacific
  • July 26, 1pm Eastern
  • July 26, 7pm CET
  • July 26, 10:30pm Indian Standard Time

Come to hear three vulnerable stories about managing failure and stay to ask questions and contribute to a community of learning.

• @Matt Doar - Some pride, some prejudice: "I knew I could migrate those Jira issues, so why did they mess me up?"
  • @Anita Kalmane  - Once upon a time, I signed up our company to cooperate with an external party where we'd invite teenagers to our company and show them how it is to work for an IT department, so they'd gain interest in studying anything engineering related. Sounds easy, right? Well, it didn't go as smoothly as I expected...
  • @Ashley Faus - Have you ever fought hard to bring in a new tool to support a big initiative? What happens when it flops? Ashley will share her take-aways from trying, and failing, to create change across multiple teams.

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 7.44.14 AM.png

The vibe will be very informal--storytelling among friends! During the event, we encourage you to unmute and ask questions of our speakers or comment with your reactions.

Update

The event was great fun!

If you want to relive it or watch it for the first time, you can do so at this link.

13 comments

Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2022

So excited to be sharing my learnings and story with you! Special thanks to @Christine P_ Dela Rosa  for realising it. What started a small idea and post in another thread, has turned into reality...!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

@Christine P_ Dela Rosa Heads up this article says June 26th, but the event says July 26th... Which one is correct?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2022

Gah, it is July 26th. Thank you for that catch that I’ve now corrected, @Jimmy Seddon !

Like # people like this
Ashley Faus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2022

Excited to join the line-up!

Like # people like this
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2022

Any chance this is being recorded? It's 0300 for me on the East coast of AU, but keen to listen in.

CCM

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
June 11, 2022

Hi, @Craig Castle-Mead yes for sure we'll record :)

If you RSVP (even though you won't attend) you'll get the recording automatically in a follow-up email or you can ping for it when the time comes and I can send you the link via email :)

Like # people like this
nina_schmidt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

looking forward to that session - and so happy three brave people were found :-)

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2022

this is the goods, this should grow out organically to other regions.  I'm still giggling over the three brave people were found comment from @nina_schmidt 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2022

Will all these sessions be recorded? I am not able to attend any of them at the times listed.

Like # people like this
Christine P_ Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
June 30, 2022

Hi @Summer_Hogan yes!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2022

Looks awesome!! Cant wait to come!

Like # people like this
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2022

Looks awesome. I wish I could join today. 

Like # people like this
Anita Kalmane
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2022

This was fun! Nice stories from others speakers, intimate audience and wonderful interactions in the chat. Glad we made it happen - and indeed looking forward to some more!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events