How can I create tags for team members so I can get a list of team members based on the tag?

Jimmy Yeo July 12, 2021

Everyone in our team has different programs/specialties. I would like to create a tag based system where team members that fulfill the requirements of the tags I query will populate the list.

Ideally this would be a checkbox system, so for every checkbox that is checked (each checkbox represents a specific skill or trait), the list of names narrows down to those that fulfill those descriptors.

Example: I have a project that requires knowledge of Python and Javascript. Python and Java would be it's own checkbox, and checking those off will narrow down the list of names that know both those programming languages.

Bonus points: you can also query by strings, so if a person worked on a past project, their name will pop up in the list.

2 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2021

Hi @Ignacio Aredez

I can imagine how you want it to be - basically like the functionality common with online shops where you can narrow down to a bunch of specific products (or even THE specific product) when selecting color, type, size and so on.

In Jira there is nothing out of the box which provides a feature like this. Like Ignacio mentioned you can work with fields - on Jira Cloud you could involve Automation.

But this leads my to the question: are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Server?
Do you have any Apps at your disposal?

From Marketplace (https://marketplace.atlassian.com) there are several Apps of Checklist type - but I could not see that they fulfill your need in that sense (you could double check, no pun intended, though).

Of course, assuming you had Jira Server and a scripting App available there might be complex scenarios possible - in case you want to code it yourself I assume this would be possible (they are very powerful).

There are also user properties (a scenario I fantasize about would be to store the skills within a user's profile) - but same time I see there is still, for example, no possibility to query them by JQL:

So, to conclude here - I believe several options are possible but it seems to me there is no ready-made solution available. The more easier approaches using a field or so might not provide the full functionality you asked for but you could start small by experimenting what is available if you want to.

Cheers,
Daniel

Jimmy Yeo July 22, 2021

Thank you Daniel for your response! One of our managers has it figured out. Right now the problem is that selecting multiple checkboxes gives results as an OR, not AND result. It doesn't narrow down results if multiple checkboxes are checked off, so if one of the answers satisfies at least one criteria, it will still be included in the results (which is not what we want).

I'm not sure if we're using Jira Cloud or Jira Server. I'll post your answer to the manager who is creating this form, maybe it can give him a clue as to what to do.

Thanks again!

0 votes
Ignacio Aredez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

You can use a multiple selection field for users and their skills. To see if I work on a previous project you could add components to the projects and then filter by tickets with certain components.

Jimmy Yeo July 12, 2021

Thank you! I am new to Jira...where is the option for adding a multiple selection field for users? Do I need to be an admin to see those options? I have no idea where to start.

Is there a menu of users or a page of users I need to go to?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events