Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Play of the month: How does your team make group decisions? Edited

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team Mar 18, 2021

Did you know it's estimated that we make over 35,000 decisions every day? 🤯 

But making good decisions (and making them efficiently!) isn’t always easy. Especially when there’s a group involved. Well, we’ve got a Play to help you with thatThe DACI (Driver, Approver, Contributor, Informed) framework outlines who's responsible for what and when, and helps eliminate the confusion that can sometimes come along with group decision making.

Here’s a quick breakdown of DACI roles and responsibilities:

• Driver: in charge pushing the team to the best possible outcome

• Approver: has the final say on which path the team should take

• Contributors: provide background info, data, and expertise

• Informed: not expected to contribute, but need to be aware

(And an example of how to create a DACI in Trello! ⇣)

daci trello.jpg

Having defined and properly documented roles and responsibilities at the start of a decision will leave you feeling more confident coming out on the other side. The DACI Play will help bring clarity to your decision-making process while also serving as a reference for showing other teams (and reminding you 6 months later!) how you got to the end result.

Do you use DACIs with your teams? Do they help with your decision making process? We'd love to hear what works for you!  

12 comments

Vero Rivas Community Leader May 04, 2021

Hi @Kristen Roth 

35,000 decisions a day, I had never heard of it.

Of course, throughout the day you decide many things such as clothing, what you eat throughout the day, shoes that match your clothing, whether you drive or take public transport, but I would never have thought that

Very curious fact, I will not try to count them because I would lose count, but I will pay more attention to it

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Like # people like this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 05, 2021

Thanks for reading, @Vero Rivas !

Dave Atlassian Team May 04, 2021

One of the key things our team has found with DACIs is to not let them run too long. Setting a distant due date can let it linger without progress and often you only get a flurry of activity towards the end - definitely important to set a realistic due date. They're great for asynchronous collaboration on a decision but it's often useful to bring people together to check in on progress in person / on a call!

Like # people like this

Great tip, @Dave !

Like Dave likes this
Jayesh Baviskar Community Leader May 05, 2021

D.A.C.I. really helps in making group decisions. Just now observed that within my team we are following same approach, which is really having some name for it.

Like Kristen Roth likes this
John Funk Community Leader May 05, 2021

Gosh, if we have to decide to use DACI or not, now it's 35,001 decisions for toady!  :-)

Like # people like this

😜 ha, @John Funk !

Brant Schroeder Community Leader May 06, 2021

We use RACI but have never used DACI.  Looks like this would be an excellent tool to ensure that decisions are made by the right individuals and that others properly participate and are informed.  

Like # people like this

We just had a discussion about this topic yesterday. We're not so far, or maybe one level up. We were talking about company values and the connection to decisions vs. individual approach to decisions. So we're on level where we're talking what inputs we need to start discussion and what will not be the part of it.

But I will check DACI definitelly :) and the Trello board looks nice :)

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 10, 2021

Let us know what you think, @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ ! And if you use a Trello board :) 

Fadoua Community Leader May 08, 2021

In my team I am definitely a Contributor. I do share my input when something needs the team attention or if a process can be improved.

G subramanyam Community Leader May 10, 2021

Learned a new acronym DACI. I remember Deming's cycle: PDAC (Plan-Do-Act-Check) @Kristen Roth 

Really enjoyed reading this play @Kristen Roth!

Like Sarah Preston likes this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 10, 2021

Glad to hear it, @Laura Holton !

Big brain play!

Sudarshan TS Community Leader May 13, 2021

Very nice.
Like DACI, we have tried with Delegation board, which is also really useful - mainly on the thought of who does what and when.!

Honestly, we never used that so I can't comment on the benefits. We always have insightful discussions, but might take a bit longer than expected naturally. DACI does seem to have the potential to bring structure to discussions held in an effort to make group decisions.

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Team Playbook

Play of the month: Reclaim your precious time with a Ritual Reset

Chances are, we can probably all agree that team rituals are important. These regularly occurring activities in service of our teams and organizations can have tremendous impact on our work. But w...

466 views 31 29
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you