What is the best practice for tracking JIRA milestones on Team Calendar?

We are looking for a solution to help ensure groups across our organization stay coordinated on deadlines and plans, and we believe Team Calendar can help accomplish this; however I'd like to understand what the best practices are for tracking milestones within JIRA. On the Team Calendar product video it appears to add JIRA calendars that contains milestones for projects, so I wanted to know what the best practices are for doing this. In some shots it looked like different date fields were used, but in other shots it appeared like different issue types were used - so I couldn't tell what the recommended practices were for different situations. As with all of your products this appears very configurable so I'm sure there are multiple ways of tackling this, but if possible we'd like to take advantage of the experiences and knowledge that others have already had with this product to understand the best practices.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes

@Darren. Yep you're right.

So with JIRA, you can create custom types for issues (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Defining+'Issue+Type'+Field+Values for details). What we see plenty of teams do is the following:

* They use JIRA versions for release planning (set a due date for a release and it appears on the calendar)

* They create their own types of issues to represent their processes (E.g. "Scheduled Deployment" or "Outage" or "Change").

* On those JIRA issue types, they use the out-of-the-box due date JIRA provides, or create a custom date field of their own (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field to learn more about cusotm fields). So they would create fields like "Outage Start" and "Outage End" or "Deployemnt Date" etc...

* In Confluence Team Calendars, they would create a JIRA event type and select those things (JIRA version dates, issue daue dates for their custom fields etc...)

Hope that helps explain it a bit better? Interested to hear how you went.

I know I'm VERY late to the party, but iIve been creating a custom issue type called "Milestone" that includes custom fields for start date, planned end date and actual end date.  The workflow contains statuses for on track, at risk, past due, and complete.  And I just like that milestone to individual tickets to indicate dependencies.  This way I can run reports and what milestones are coming up, plot them on a the team calendar and see "pileups" coming in advance, as well as send notifications to affected team members automatically.  This helped me get around needing more specific dates tracked and reported outside the fix versions, and cope with some of the waterfall-y requirements of portfolio management while still using scrum and kanban boards to manage software.  It's also great for business projects :)

Great workarounds! I'm exploring something similar and love the idea of the custom issue type. Thanks for sharing! 

Really like this suggestion.  I've been wanting to manage milestones in JIRA for ages, and this is definitely worth a shot.

This is a great suggestion, thanks @Marisa Hager!

@Marisa Hager Hi Marisa! And what do you do with stories, tasks and sub-tasks that are assigned to this milestone? You just do a simple link between a milestone and a story/task/sub-task? Or something more sophisticated? (For instance, the milestone is a parent issue of a story)

1 vote

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the question and for the feedback. We are trying to make it more obvious what the best practices are in the product, so this is very helpful feedback. Regarding your question:

* Use JIRA versions to plan a release

* JIRA versions can have a due date, when you set the due date it will be ready to appear in Team Calendars

* In team calendars create a JIRA calendar and select "Version due dates" to display

* Now dragging and dropping your JIRA versions from Team Calendars will help you reschedule your release. Your team can watch the JIRA calendar and get notified when the release date is changed.

Is that what you are after? There are a few issues we'd like to improve here:

** https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TEAMCAL-1361

** https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TEAMCAL-719

would love to hear if that works for you

That is along the lines of what I'm looking for, but more specifically I'm trying to understand the best way to handle situations like in the product video where there are JIRA calendar items for things like product launches, integration dates, etc. I'm pretty sure these aren't all versions, so I was curious what the recommended way of capturing these types of items were?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

59 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you