where is the legend to identify branch in sourcetree

Is there a legend somewhere to clarify what the purple line relates to? I find I get confused knowing which branch is which. I have only been using SourceTree for a few weeks so I am probably missing something.

sourcetree.PNG

5 answers

I do not understand this question.

What do you mean by "to identify branch", and why would you need a legend to do that?

Thanks for the reply Seth, I have updated my initial question.

Very helpful update, thanks.

You are definitely not the first to ask this question (try searching this site for "branch colors"), and the problem basically boils down to this: even though the name "branch" implies that it refers to a line of commits, on a technical level, a branch only refers to a single commit.

I wrote a rather detailed answer to one of these questions recently, hopefully it helps: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/44220615

I've seen other git clients show a branch name next to each commit. The Bitbucket website does this also. But after you've done a few merges they ALL give up on doing that.

On the rare occassion that I know in advance I will need 10+ branches being worked on simultaneously and will rarely be merged, I get into the habit of prefixing my commit messages with the branch name.

The GitKraken program allows you to show/hide 1 or more branches like you would with layers in a Photoshop document. Sourcetree can only show/hide all local and all remote branches.

So if I have 15 branches, in sourcetree I can see either all 30 local+remote or just all 15 local branches.

But in GitKraken I can set it to only show 1 or 2 or 4 or 5 etc.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

270 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot