what's the difference between remove and delete in sourcetree?

5 answers

I can't see that view in Source Tree for Mac, but I guess "Delete" removes the selected repositories while "Remove" deletes the selected files (at least that's what Remove does in the Mac application).

This is correct.

do you mean remove and reset? if not that, where can I find the delete option?

The delete removes the highlighted respository.

Right. Delete removes the local repository. Then what does remove do?

removes files/directories from the repository completely

Remove removes the file from repository - but not completly. (as @Norman Abramovitz wrote). It removes the file from the sandbox and mark it as deleted for the repository. You have to push the deletion to the repository - from this point of time the deleted file is not part of the repository anymore.Until this point of time the file is still part of the repository. (Remove is a git operation on the repository)

Delete removes the repository from the bookmark list - (Delete is a Sourcetree operation to organize the repositories). You can either simple delete the repository from the bookmark - or you can additionaly delete the complete repository folder from your harddisk as well ...)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

539 views 1 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you