unable to launch external diff from sourcetree

Zvika Rubanenko July 11, 2017

Using sourceTree version 2.1.2.5
Trying to open a diff via External Diff , but nothing happens .

in setting :

allow source tree to ... is enabled !

under diff i have tried to use beyond compare ,DiffMerge , TortoiseMerge 
(all are installed and working )

1 answer

0 votes
gnorkett July 12, 2017

Hi Zvika,

I recently upgraded to 2.1.2.5 and installed P4Merge, KDiff3, TortoiseMerge and Beyond Compare after upgrading. They all worked and SourceTree actually automatically found the source location.

I'm assuming you went into the Options screen from the Tools menu option to access the Diff tab to select the external diff tool from the drop-down for diff tool and merge tool?

Greg 

Zvika Rubanenko July 12, 2017

Yes i did but it doesn't work image.png

Marcelo Jo July 17, 2017

I have the really same problem here.. Tried winmerge, kdiff3, diffmerge and no luck.

I tried to configure .gitconfig file without success. The message pops then disappear but nothing happens.

Like Mark Keckeis likes this
Chris Varnsverry July 28, 2017

Same issue

TC December 18, 2017

Does this work for anyone?

Chris Varnsverry December 21, 2017

@TC I literally JUST got it working, the solution for me was to update the Embedded Git (2.14.1 at time of writing) and then external merge works for me. I don't believe this is automatically updated when you update sourcetree.

Note that external DIFF suddenly started working for me for no apparent reason a few weeks ago, maybe an update fixed it. So because diff was working but not merge, I took a look with Process Monitor to see if there was an obvious difference, but SourceTree just shells out to git.exe to actually launch the diff/merge tool, which pointed strongly to the embedded git or configuration as the problem.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events