Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sourcetree crashing when clicking css file in working copy window

Jeroen Kolkman January 25, 2018

Hello all,

I have been using sourcetree for some time now but just recently I have been getting in a  really strange situation.

Whenever I open sourcetree and I want to see the changes on my css file it just crashes.
It starts to show the white box where the code would normally apear in and than it just crashes.
I had this issue in 2.3.5 and i updated today to 2.4.7 but I still have the same issue.
The only way I can fix this is by uninstalling and than reinstalling again.
That did it last time anyways.

Do you guys have any idea what is going on and/or how I can fix it without constantly reinstalling sourcetree ?

Kind Regards

4 answers

2 votes
gpattihis April 14, 2019

This issue still exists. A small css file crashes Sourcetree every time I try to access it. Disabling Syntax highlighting solve the issue.

Looking forward to the update, thank you.

1 vote
dejernet June 12, 2019

Any further updates on this @Mike Corsaro?

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2019

Apologies for the delay -- we've been really busy lately.

It appears the author of the project isn't maintaining it anymore so for now you'll just have to disable CSS. There's a new beta releasing today that doesn't have the fix in it, but I do have one ready that will be in the next beta or final release.

1 vote
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2018

To provide an update on this: we've identified an issue with the syntax highlighting library we're currently using and have submitted a PR to address it. Once that gets approved we'll update and release a hotfix.

Thanks!

1 vote
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
January 30, 2018

Hello! Could you upload the problematic file? This issue may have been fixed in the next release (2.4.8) which is in beta now. Thanks!

Brad Kane November 25, 2018

We are also experiencing this issue in release 3.0.8.2279.  The SCSS/CSS files with this issue had an @import directive.  When the directive is replaced by copying the common styles into both files, the problem goes away.  Here is an example of the common content:

/* common elements */

body[data-theme="default"] {
    --color1: #FFDD00;

-- color2: #666666;

}

@font-face {
    font-family: 'GlacialIndifference-Regular';
    src: url('../fonts/GlacialIndifference-Regular.eot');
    src: url('../fonts/GlacialIndifference-Regular.woff2') format('woff2'),
    url('../fonts/GlacialIndifference-Regular.woff') format('woff'),
    url('../fonts/GlacialIndifference-Regular.ttf') format('truetype'),
    url('../fonts/GlacialIndifference-Regular.svg#GlacialIndifference-Regular') format('svg'),
    url('../fonts/GlacialIndifference-Regular.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype');
    font-weight: normal;
    font-style: normal;
}

Any suggestions (other than doing what we have done which is inefficient coding and more difficult to maintain)?

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2018

Hello! Could you give me more details about the file? How big is it? Are there any lines that are extremely long? Thanks!

Brad Kane November 26, 2018

SCSS and CSS files are 160kB and 120kB respectively, with 3,500 and 5,000 lines respectively.  Some lines ( in both files) are 759 characters wide.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2018

Do you get the BugSplat error dialog when it crashes? If so, could you supply the crash ID or the dump file? Thanks!

Brad Kane November 26, 2018

Usually we just get the "circle of death" as Sourcetree locks up and the only option is to close its window and restart the application.  How long does it take for the BugSplat error dialog to appear?

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
November 26, 2018

Ah, okay. That's probably caused by ST struggling to render the diff.

Could you email me the file so I can profile it (mcorsaro at the company name this website is run by.com)? It would be very useful in solving this -- thanks!

Brad Kane November 27, 2018

Sent.  Thx.

Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
November 28, 2018

Looks like the issue is caused by syntax highlighting. As a work around go to Settings > Diff and turn off syntax highlighting. I'll investigate further to see what the issue is.

Thanks!

Like mylawacad likes this
Brad Kane November 28, 2018

We’ll try that as an interim solution. Thank you. 

Steven Choi May 17, 2019

Note: For Windows:

Tools > Options > Diff > Uncheck "Enable syntax highlighting for available languages"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events